One move a day

One move a day

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
04 May 06
2 edits

A few weeks ago I suggested, in a Thread 42150, about "One move a day". The main line of my idea goes as follows:
"Invite two top-of-the-list members to secretly play to each other. When the game has finished – present the moves, one every day, in a forum in a particular thread for this particular game. ... Here we can comment, discuss, ask and learn from the game."

I'm proud to say that I got a few recs for this suggestion!

I would like to demonstrate to you, dear friends of RedHotPawn, what my concept is by showing a game, move for move, 24 hours (more or less) between the moves, until the whole game is finished.

This game is not played at RHP nor by any of its members. It's certainly not in progress. No one of you knows for sure (but me) until the very end how it evolves.

Therefore it is open to debate, commenting, guessing what next move will be, demonstrating alternate lines of progression, criticizing bad moves and amazing good moves, and so on, any comments are welcomed.
I will not reveal who was the players nor when and where it was played, nor the length of the game, nor what the outcome will be, until after the last move is done and only then. Don't even ask.

I hope you will find this game interesting.
The board is set, let's begin!

(You recognize this position already, the whites first move comes tomorrow approx at the same time.)

b
perpetualEditMonkey

Nova Scotia

Moves
04 May 06
2 edits

So do we start guessing now?

uhhh....1.d4

this is a great idea by the way...

E
Chess n00b

Cali

Moves
04 May 06

1. Na3. You just can't beat it.

l
Man of Steel

rushing to and fro

Moves
04 May 06

My money's on e4.

s
Geek

Behind you...

Moves
04 May 06

Are we putting money on this? I got 1.e4 at 2-to-1!

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 May 06
1 edit

If you want to do such a thing you can't start at move 1. You should start at move 5 or something so we know which opening it is since most of our guess would be wrong in the opening.

I've seen similiar stuff done at WCN and other places called guess the move and even on Chessmaster and all of them start around move 5ish once the opening is defined.

Look at the votes we got so far, 4 votes- 2 for e4, 1 d4, 1.Na3. Thus start deeper into the game.

F

Moves
04 May 06

Originally posted by RahimK
If you want to do such a thing you can't start at move 1. You should start at move 5 or something so we know which opening it is since most of our guess would be wrong in the opening.
I've thought about it. The first number of moves are (or are not) totally uninterested.

But as I am the only one knowing about the game, I am also the only one to know the first move of interest. Perhaps the first interesting move is at move # 3 (or not) but that I don’t want to tell now. Perhaps the first move I find interesting is not the on that other find interesting Perhaps the interesting move is somewhere much later, or earlier. I don’t know, and I can’t ask anyone.

I’ve not chosen this particular game for being uninteresting (IMHO) but to be interesting. There are passages I don’t understand, perhaps because I’m not good enough. I’d love to hear the comments about them.

Bear with me while showing one move a day, interesting move or not.
One move a day means that I reveal move #5 after 10 days, around the May14.

r

Sabah, Malaysia

Moves
04 May 06

i'll guess... c4?

e

Moves
04 May 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Bear with me while showing one move a day, interesting move or not.
Good stuff Fabian, keep going. I'm looking forward to this!

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
04 May 06
1 edit

gxh8=Q!

please post the first move, this is pointless otherwise. debating 1.e4 against 1.d4 etc. will just take forever and likely give nothing but subjective opinions. somebody will like 1.e4 over 1.d4 and someone else 1.d4 over 1.e4, and both are right. that's boring, there is little to no information exchanged.

but good idea otherwise.

SS

Moves
04 May 06

J

back in business

Moves
04 May 06
1 edit

1. (resign) 0-1

good game.

z

Moves
04 May 06

Originally posted by Jusuh
1. (resign) 0-1

good game.
White realized he was in Zugzwang!

Yes at least get the first move out making us wait for that is redicoulous (sp?)

S

Moves
04 May 06

ehh,

from move 1??

1.e4, d4, c5.

You want to hear my insightful comments behind my guess? the coments people can learn from??

well the only helpful comment I could make would be that all 3 fight for the centre....and that where the discussion stops...

see you in 10 days where thing might be worth reading

btw, Im not critisizing the idea, rather, its execution

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
04 May 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I've thought about it. The first number of moves are (or are not) totally uninterested.

But as I am the only one knowing about the game, I am also the only one to know the first move of interest. Perhaps the first interesting move is at move # 3 (or not) but that I don’t want to tell now. Perhaps the first move I find interesting is not the on that ot ...[text shortened]... ting move or not.
One move a day means that I reveal move #5 after 10 days, around the May14.
Pointless, Jump to move 2 then.

Since everyone is picking first moves for white, there are 20 possible moves. I will go with 1.g4 😛

Now skip over the first moves already.