Your second win with it!

Well done...
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 01:47
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    The Latvian Gambit strikes again!
    actually it truly sucks...
    people ONLY have success with it because of opponent unfamiliarity...
    if white can just think: ok, i am black, and he is playing king's gambit minus a tempo...
    white wins easily if he doesn't get too utterly confused by the opening
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 04:24
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    if white can just think: ok, i am black, and he is playing king's gambit minus a tempo...
    Because things are always so simple...
  5. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 05:14
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    Thread 63188
  6. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 23:132 edits
    First off, you have to know what you're doing pretty well. Second the best way (in my opinion) to master an opening is to study it really well, it's variations and buy a book on it. The book I bought is called "The Latvian Gambit Lives!" However, I wouldn't recommend this opening to anyone.
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 23:19
    First off, you have to know what you're doing pretty well. Second the best way (in my opinion) to master an opening is to study it really well, it's variations and buy a book on it. The book I bought is called "The Latvian Gambit Lives!"
    Old good Costen. I remember that his first book about Latvian gambit (written in 1995) have helped me very much in learning this opening 🙂
  8. Standard memberAshley Blue
    Chess Lame-o
    Ohio
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 01:14
    I'm undefeated (6-0-1) with the Latvian on this site. I'm always tentative to play it, and usually give into my fears and play the Petroff, but I really shouldn't.
  9. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 02:34
    Originally posted by Ashley Blue
    I'm undefeated (6-0-1) with the Latvian on this site. I'm always tentative to play it, and usually give into my fears and play the Petroff, but I really shouldn't.
    If you want a challenger, you should play the Latvian against me. I play it too and I'm also undefeated on this site with it. We'll play two games. We'll switch colors after the first game and must play the Latvian Gambit as black; just to see who's better at it. 😀
  10. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 06:30
    If you want a challenger, you should play the Latvian against me. I play it too and I'm also undefeated on this site with it. We'll play two games. We'll switch colors after the first game and must play the Latvian Gambit as black; just to see who's better at it. 😀
    If both of you wanna be defeated in Latvian gambit, you can play it against me - I`m pretty sure that, I will get advantage in opening. 😀
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:16
    The best reply to anyone that plays the Latvian Gambit against you is to say thank you very much.
  12. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:34
    Originally posted by russell chadbourne
    The best reply to anyone that plays the Latvian Gambit against you is to say thank you very much.
    ....and lose due to self-confidence 🙂
  13. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 11:15
    Originally posted by Korch
    If both of you wanna be defeated in Latvian gambit, you can play it against me - I`m pretty sure that, I will get advantage in opening. 😀
    Do you think the line is good for black?

1. e4 e5
    2. Nf3 f5
    3. exf e4
    4. Ne5

I am sure that white gets a very strong advantage. In fact if I were a better player I would consider it a win for white!
  14. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 13:14
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    Do you think the line is good for black?

1. e4 e5
    2. Nf3 f5
    3. exf e4
    4. Ne5

I am sure that white gets a very strong advantage. In fact if I were a better player I would consider it a win for white!
    I am not so sure this line is so clearly favourable for white. Equally, the other 'fun' line 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5 3.Bc4 fxe4 4.Nxe5 d5!? is pretty unclear. I personally gave up playing the Latvian simply because I could see no way to prevent white gaining a fairly unpleasant positional advantage through 3.Nxe5 Qf6 4.d4 (4.Nc4 fxe4 4.d3 is also good) d6 5.Nc4. There may be one or two lines here where black can just about survive with extremely accurate play, but that's hardly an attractive proposition.
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 13:43
    Originally posted by Korch
    The Latvian is almost as unsound as the Grob.

Edit: Correction the Grob is almost as unsound as the Latvian! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree