The Latvian Gambit destroys all!

The Latvian Gambit destroys all!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
19 Feb 07

The Latvian Gambit strikes again!

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
19 Feb 07

Your second win with it!

Well done...

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
19 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dutch Defense
The Latvian Gambit strikes again!
actually it truly sucks...
people ONLY have success with it because of opponent unfamiliarity...
if white can just think: ok, i am black, and he is playing king's gambit minus a tempo...
white wins easily if he doesn't get too utterly confused by the opening

c

Moves
19 Feb 07

Originally posted by rubberjaw30
if white can just think: ok, i am black, and he is playing king's gambit minus a tempo...
Because things are always so simple...

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
19 Feb 07

Originally posted by rubberjaw30
Thread 63188

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
20 Feb 07
2 edits

First off, you have to know what you're doing pretty well. Second the best way (in my opinion) to master an opening is to study it really well, it's variations and buy a book on it. The book I bought is called "The Latvian Gambit Lives!" However, I wouldn't recommend this opening to anyone.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 07

First off, you have to know what you're doing pretty well. Second the best way (in my opinion) to master an opening is to study it really well, it's variations and buy a book on it. The book I bought is called "The Latvian Gambit Lives!"
Old good Costen. I remember that his first book about Latvian gambit (written in 1995) have helped me very much in learning this opening 🙂

AB
Chess Lame-o

Ohio

Moves
21 Feb 07

I'm undefeated (6-0-1) with the Latvian on this site. I'm always tentative to play it, and usually give into my fears and play the Petroff, but I really shouldn't.

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by Ashley Blue
I'm undefeated (6-0-1) with the Latvian on this site. I'm always tentative to play it, and usually give into my fears and play the Petroff, but I really shouldn't.
If you want a challenger, you should play the Latvian against me. I play it too and I'm also undefeated on this site with it. We'll play two games. We'll switch colors after the first game and must play the Latvian Gambit as black; just to see who's better at it. 😀

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
21 Feb 07

If you want a challenger, you should play the Latvian against me. I play it too and I'm also undefeated on this site with it. We'll play two games. We'll switch colors after the first game and must play the Latvian Gambit as black; just to see who's better at it. 😀
If both of you wanna be defeated in Latvian gambit, you can play it against me - I`m pretty sure that, I will get advantage in opening. 😀

rc

Moves
21 Feb 07

The best reply to anyone that plays the Latvian Gambit against you is to say thank you very much.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by russell chadbourne
The best reply to anyone that plays the Latvian Gambit against you is to say thank you very much.
....and lose due to self-confidence 🙂

p

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by Korch
If both of you wanna be defeated in Latvian gambit, you can play it against me - I`m pretty sure that, I will get advantage in opening. 😀
Do you think the line is good for black?

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 f5
3. exf e4
4. Ne5

I am sure that white gets a very strong advantage. In fact if I were a better player I would consider it a win for white!

NL

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by petrosianpupil
Do you think the line is good for black?

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 f5
3. exf e4
4. Ne5

I am sure that white gets a very strong advantage. In fact if I were a better player I would consider it a win for white!
I am not so sure this line is so clearly favourable for white. Equally, the other 'fun' line 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5 3.Bc4 fxe4 4.Nxe5 d5!? is pretty unclear. I personally gave up playing the Latvian simply because I could see no way to prevent white gaining a fairly unpleasant positional advantage through 3.Nxe5 Qf6 4.d4 (4.Nc4 fxe4 4.d3 is also good) d6 5.Nc4. There may be one or two lines here where black can just about survive with extremely accurate play, but that's hardly an attractive proposition.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by Korch
The Latvian is almost as unsound as the Grob.

Edit: Correction the Grob is almost as unsound as the Latvian! 😉