1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:00
    In Toronto today, there is a protest parade winding its way through downtown. They are protesting the way China deals with Tibet. Many "Free Tibet" and "release prisoners" placards are being carried by people. Explain this to me:

What good does protesting in Canada do to make China change their mind about Tibet? No one in China is going to say to themselves, "well, some people in toronto are holding up signs so we better rewrite our policy!"

Isn't this like when someone in the news dies and then people on RHP start posting in threads, "My thoughts go out to their family" Do they think any of the families are actually going to go searching the net for comments about their dead family members??

So, what is the point of protesting in your own country about what is going on in another country? Canada has already made the Dalai Lama an honourary citizen of Canada. Canada is not sitting idly by here so I'm wondering what they think will happen now that they walked through downtown holding signs.

Please explain.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:041 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    What good does protesting in Canada do to make China change their mind about Tibet?
    More good than saying nothing.

If people feel passionate about the cause and wish to raise awareness through protesting, I'm all for it. Let your opinion be heard. Don't just remain silent because "there's nothing you can do about it."

Do you think these people marching expect something to be done by the Chinese government because of their march?
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:10
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not an activist by any means but I'm also not adverse to people who feel the need to protest as long as they're not wearing ski masks, smashing windows and inciting riots.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:182 edits
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not an activist by any means but I'm also not adverse to people who feel the need to protest as long as they're not wearing ski masks, smashing windows and inciting riots.
    It's a question of what good does it do. If it doesn't do any good, then why do it?

Remember that kids game/song that went, "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands" and then we'd clap twice...? As if to say, "hey look everyone, I'm happy..and to show everyone I am a happy, I am clapping my hands!"

Well, this seems just the same except the words are, "If you're angry and you know it hold up a sign, Free Tibet!...if you're angry and you know it shout a slogan, China sux!"

Mutual venting of emotion at best. I guess they are just making themselves feel better by thinking they are doing something...when in reality they are just holding up signs and going for a walk.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:19
    I guess they are just making themselves feel better by thinking they are doing something...when in reality they are just holding up signs and going for a walk.
    Maybe so, but what's wrong with that?
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:25
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Maybe so, but what's wrong with that?
    it's not a question of is it right or is it wrong. It's a question of what is the point?

To raise awareness is the best answer i think, but even that is suspect because unless you live under a rock, or are 8 years old, or are such an idiot that even if you finally heard about the china/tibet issue through this protest its highly unlikely you'll ever do anything about it anyway, you must have heard about this issue already.

So raising awareness is a weak answer.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:27
    Has anyone ever protested something that wasn't just signing a petition etc?

What was your reasoning for doing it?
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:27
    How about the fact that since you posted here the international community is now aware, in some small way, of that protest? It only takes one person to set off a chain of events.

Surely it's better to protest in the hope that it will do some good than to remain silent on a position which is unjust.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:30
    it's not a question of is it right or is it wrong. It's a question of what is the point?
    I don't think that's true. To many people it is a question of what's right and what's wrong. That's their moral set.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:30
    Has anyone ever protested something that wasn't just signing a petition etc?

What was your reasoning for doing it?
    I protested against the invasion of Iraq and subsequent military action since. The reason, I guess, was twofold: To try and make the government see that they do not speak for people, but take their own decisions without due democratic process (there should have been a referendum). And to oppose war in general.
  11. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:32
    Protesting can also raise awareness of issues. Nothing changes overnight, but in some cases a gradual accretion of public will can have some sort of influence. Though as we all know, our wonderful British government could turn a blind eye to half the population of the country hitting the streets of London...
  12. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:40
    In Toronto today, there is a protest parade winding its way through downtown. They are protesting the way China deals with Tibet. Many "Free Tibet" and "release prisoners" placards are being carried by people. Explain this to me:

What good does protesting in Canada do to make China change their mind about Tibet? No one in China is going to say to thems ...[text shortened]... nk will happen now that they walked through downtown holding signs.

Please explain.
    The more protests, bumper stickers...etc., the more people become aware of the fact that something is (or may be) an important issue. I remember once, looking up the whole Tibet issue on the internet and reading up on it. I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about. As more people do that, the issue begins to move into mainstream society. Then all of a sudden, politicians begin to take notice, and your country's government (in an effort to appease the mainstream), lessens their support for oppressive overseas regimes. This could amount to billions of dollars in lost funding.

These protests can and often do make a difference, but the effect isn't always obvious or immediate.
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:47
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I protested against the invasion of Iraq and subsequent military action since. The reason, I guess, was twofold: To try and make the government see that they do not speak for people, but take their own decisions without due democratic process (there should have been a referendum). And to oppose war in general.
    Good for you Starman. So many people protested about that and I wish I had been able to. It was a peaceful protest and yet they didn't take any note of it. Who actually wanted that war to start? No-one I have ever talked to thought it was about protecting people but money and Blairs' brainwashing from Bush.

Rant over. That really made me so mad that the government competly ignored everyone.
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:53
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Okay, your flag is from micronesia and i'll admit I have no idea if you are really from there or if micronesia was a part of that war.
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 17:54
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    Protesting can also raise awareness of issues. Nothing changes overnight, but in some cases a gradual accretion of public will can have some sort of influence. Though as we all know, our wonderful British government could turn a blind eye to half the population of the country hitting the streets of London...
    I've already addressed the raising awareness answer but i'll state it again.

To raise awareness is the best answer i think, but even that is suspect because unless you live under a rock, or are 8 years old, or are such an idiot that even if you finally heard about the china/tibet issue through this protest its highly unlikely you'll ever do anything about it anyway, you must have heard about this issue already.

So raising awareness is a weak answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree