1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:19
    Since starting chess I've searched for an opening to play against 1.d4 - and so far nothing makes me happy. 🙁 I started with the KID, didn't like a lot of things about it, and then moved on to the Benko Gambit, which I felt was giving me bad results, and I was just too unaccustomed to the positions. Then I switched to the Semi-Slav, and got pretty decent results, but decided that if I were to use it it would be CC only, because there's so much evolving theory. After that I tested the Budapest with nice results, but decided that's best suited for blitz. After which I went to the Grunfeld, and I'm finding that the positions don't seem to suit me that well there either. I guess I can't find what I want because I simply don't like the positions after 1.d4. At this point I'm more confused than ever, and am looking back at the Benko Gambit (Pretty much full circle...). On the other hand, I scored very well with the Semi-Slav, I played 3 games on RHP with it, 2 convincing wins, and one loss due to a blunder in insane complications against Idioms. But I already have so much theory to study, that adding this might not be so beneficial, whereas something like the Benko can be played mostly based on positions and straightforward moves - but when I do that I seem to get into less than great positions. Maybe looking through a coverage of the Benko, but not really going through too many lines would be best.

In any case, I'm confused.
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:27
    Why not give the Dutch a try? The Leningrad in particular is very sharp, and the advanced f-pawn might suit you and your KG tendencies.
  3. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:28
    Tmetz is right, but if you want to check out some material on the Benko, check it out:

http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/Openings/benko.html
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:28
    Treat 1.d4 with the utter contempt it deserves. They want a plodding, strategic game, then fine!
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:29
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    Why not give the Dutch a try? The Leningrad in particular is very sharp, and the advanced f-pawn might suit you and your KG tendencies.
    Eh, hm, ergh...Ok, I'll have to think about that. 😛
  6. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:29
    I like the nimzo indian, after bxc3 the doubled pawns it creates, the half open file, along with the bishop versus knight battle, creates alot of imbalances, and dynamic play insues.

Have you though about just playing c5 anyway? They cant keep the pawn, if they play dxc5
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:30
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Tmetz is right, but if you want to check out some material on the Benko, check it out:

http://www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/Openings/benko.html
    Ah, thank you.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:30
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I like the nimzo indian, after bxc3 the doubled pawns it creates, the half open file, along with the bishop versus knight battle, creates alot of imbalances, and dynamic play insues.

Have you though about just playing c5 anyway? They cant keep the pawn, if they play dxc5
    Benko is 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:31
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Since starting chess I've searched for an opening to play against 1.d4 - and so far nothing makes me happy. 🙁 I started with the KID, didn't like a lot of things about it, and then moved on to the Benko Gambit, which I felt was giving me bad results, and I was just too unaccustomed to the positions. Then I switched to the Semi-Slav, and got pretty decen ...[text shortened]... t not really going through too many lines would be best.

In any case, I'm confused.
    Maybe try Benoni - old Benoni 1.d4 c5 or Modern-Benoni 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6
  10. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:31
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Benko is 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5
    Benko is 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 b5
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 22:00
    Originally posted by Korch
    Benko is 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 b5
    Yeah, I forgot to put the most important part. 😛
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 22:01
    Originally posted by Korch
    Maybe try Benoni - old Benoni 1.d4 c5 or Modern-Benoni 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6
    I prefer the Benko to those.
  13. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 22:09
    Why not go for a Queen's Gambit? Personally I hate playing against d4, but I do like the Bogo-Indian.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 22:152 edits
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Why not go for a Queen's Gambit? Personally I hate playing against d4, but I do like the Bogo-Indian.
    Eh, IDK, I think I might give the Benko another go, play some practice games against Fritz to see where I'm making errors in the opening, play some blitz games and maybe a couple more CC games, check out the link Tony gave me, and look at games with players that specialized with it, like Fedorowicz. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what I'll do.

For example...

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1043364

And I like this one even more...

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1379730
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 23:50
    booo! KID all the way!!!!! My logic is that it's an uncompromising opening and you ARE a dragon player, so you clearly don't want to draw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree