accept draw?

accept draw?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Moves
26 May 06

Originally posted by Red Night
Maybe he can pull off a discovered double check!
I find that if I really screw my eyes up… II ccaann sseeee ttwwoo bbiisshhooppss… bbuutt ddaammnn,, tthheeyy aarree bbootthh ccoonnttrroolllliinngg tthhee ssaammee ccoolloouurr......

SS

Moves
26 May 06

E3

Moves
26 May 06

It is impossible to mate a lone King with only King and one minor piece(Bishop or Knight). Even if you force the KIng into a corner the king and minor piece cannot cover the four squares required because while
your own King covers two of the necessary squares,a Bishop can never cover squares of opposite hue, and a Knight cannot cover squares of opposite hue at the same time.

N

The sky

Moves
26 May 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Maybe one of those bishops was from a pawn Bishoping rather than Queening.
Or maybe he put himself on the board.

V

Moves
26 May 06

Maybe one of those bishops was from a pawn Bishoping rather than Queening.
Sure, but my point was that it doesn't help the initial problem of trying to mate. :-)

b7

Moves
26 May 06

Originally posted by Essex 3
It is impossible to mate a lone King with only King and one minor piece(Bishop or Knight). Even if you force the KIng into a corner the king and minor piece cannot cover the four squares required because while
your own King covers two of the necessary squares,a Bishop can never cover squares of opposite hue, and a Knight cannot cover squares of opposite hue at the same time.
It can be done without a corner. It is really
not that hard to figure out. There are only
3 pieces on the board.

SS

Moves
26 May 06
1 edit

K

Moves
26 May 06

Originally posted by bishop 7
3 pieces on the board.
Um, you are taking the *($* right?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
26 May 06

3 pieces on the board.
This is kind of painful.

Oh, I see it now, first you sac the Bishop in order to drive the King into the middle of the board....

Wait, I don't want to give away the ending.

b7

Moves
26 May 06

Originally posted by Red Night
This is kind of painful.

Oh, I see it now, first you sac the Bishop in order to drive the King into the middle of the board....

Wait, I don't want to give away the ending.
are you not the one who said....Never give up, never surrender.
He should fight on, he's up material.

T

Moves
26 May 06

3 pieces on the board.
when you are thinking of the checkmate position, keep in mind that if a: the opponent can move to a square not attacked, b: the opponent is not attacked but simply cant move, c: the opponent can take the attacking piece. then it is not checkmate, also keep in mind that the 2 kings can never be right next to eachother as this puts them in check and you cant move a king into check.

z

Moves
26 May 06

there is a way to mate if i am patient, I wish
I could show you but the game has not finished.
Yes there is. It's called stalemate (which is equivalent to a draw).

Imagine this. Pick up the enemy king and your king and place them so that your opponent (I am assuming black) has the fewest number of squares available (aka black king in any of the corners and your king 2 squares in one direction or a knights move away). Since there are no pawns, it doesn't matter which corner, so assume that the black king is on a1 and the white king is on b3. Now the black king has 2 adjacent squares which are safe. Those squares are of differnt color. Being of differnt color there is no way that the bishop can complete the mating net (take away b1) and provide mate at the same time (attack a1). Ergo, there is no way for to win with a bishop and a king vrs a lone king.

Supposing that the enemy king is in such a position as to have no legal moves (i.e. Kb3, Bb2 and enemy king on b1) is called stalemate. As stated above, it is equivalent to a draw so you might as well save yourself the time..

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
26 May 06

are you not the one who said....Never give up, never surrender.
He should fight on, he's up material.
Yes I am and I was being facetious. It was sort of a joke based on another thread about whether you should resign.

Seriously, you can't mate with one Bishop. It can't be done. It is not just a matter of being unable to force mate; you cannot place those three pieces on the board in any way that ends in check mate.

And don't post back and tell me that you can and you wish you could show me. You can't do it, because it can't be done.

E

Moves
26 May 06

This is a sad, sad thread. Sad and painful. However, this could be a very interesting theoretical endgame study about how long 2 people will stare at a drawn position. Hang in there buddy! You can turn your flawed determination into a win!!

z

Moves
26 May 06

Game 2032568
erm, You cant mate with one Bishop, just accept the draw.
Playing through that game made me despair. Rook + 5 pawns should easily beat Rook + bishop especially in the configurations they were in.