1. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 22:10
    just about to place an order there...

foxy openings DVD: Albin counter gambit
    book: art of attack in chess (heard it's good)

but I spotted the excalibur grandmaster electronic chess set....
    I'm severely tempted, any one got one? Good / Bad?

Cheers,

J

PS - any other suggestions on above items welcome, just feel like splashing out... 🙂
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 22:59
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    just about to place an order there...

foxy openings DVD: Albin counter gambit
    book: art of attack in chess (heard it's good)

but I spotted the excalibur grandmaster electronic chess set....
    I'm severely tempted, any one got one? Good / Bad?

Cheers,

J

PS - any other suggestions on above items welcome, just feel like splashing out... 🙂
    Make sure you get a recent edition of Art of Attack in Chess.

D
  3. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 10:07
    yup, cheers... it's the recent one.
    Just wondering about the AC adapter with the chess board, I didn't order that, I presume I'll get one to fit it locally tho.
  4. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 10:11
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Make sure you get a recent edition of Art of Attack in Chess.

D
    Why do you say that? I've got an old edition (bought years ago). Is there a lot of new material in the latest edition? Is it worth "upgrading"?
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 10:16
    Originally posted by d36366
    Why do you say that? I've got an old edition (bought years ago). Is there a lot of new material in the latest edition? Is it worth "upgrading"?
    I have the '94 edition (brown cover) and it's in descriptive notation which I find annoying. Also, I think Nunn (could be wrong) has updated some of the analysis and reworded some of the wording of the book to make it more palatable.

If your not bothered by the descriptive notation, then I'm not sure if you'd find it worthwhile upgrading.

D
  6. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 10:20
    http://www.chesshouse.com/Art_Attack_Chess_p/4717.htm

...that's the one I ordered.
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 11:11
    http://www.chesshouse.com/Art_Attack_Chess_p/4717.htm

...that's the one I ordered.
    Yep, that's the one I got delivered a couple of weeks back - it's in algebraic notation. Only had a flick through but looks pretty good to be honest.
  8. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 11:22
    well thank god for algebraic notation, i couldn't hack it otherwise! I tend to have more bloody chess books @ home now than anything else, about twenty something altogether.

We should set up some kind of RHP library where we could swop books with each other.

J
  9. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 12:55
    I know what you mean about algebraic - on Amazon, I got Art of Attack and then some other book for £3 as a special package deal. The other book is in descriptive notation, which you can't even read anymore because it's covered in my red wine vomit.

I've only read one book completely and that was some tactics book which was pretty poorly written - Eric somethingorother I think. Nearly finished Reassess your chess (after over a year) which is a good book and read half of Chernev's 'logical chess'.

I want a good book of analysed Master games next - Der Schwarze Ritter posted a good list on another thread, check that out if you haven't already.
  10. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 12:57
    chess, the art of logical thinking - that's a good one.
  11. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 13:02
    chess, the art of logical thinking - that's a good one.
    I enjoyed that one, but I have just resumed Zurich 1954 which is excellent.
  12. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    18 Apr '07 13:111 edit
    must look into that, a few others I'd recommend...

"How to choose a chess move" (Soltis I think?) not bad at all.

"the mammoth book of chess", (Burgess) there's all sorts of everything in that, just a good one to have, openings, traps, endgames, attacking, and plenty of games.

"the sicilian with Qb6" (Zoran Ilic) very complex, hard to read, but great theory done.

"winning with the kan" very good, not as hard to read as the Qb6 book.

and obviously silmans 'reassess yer chess" that's simply a must have...

probably way more, but I really like these ones off top of my head.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 06:06
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    I know what you mean about algebraic - on Amazon, I got Art of Attack and then some other book for £3 as a special package deal. The other book is in descriptive notation, which you can't even read anymore because it's covered in my red wine vomit.

I've only read one book completely and that was some tactics book which was pretty poorly written - Eric ...[text shortened]... warze Ritter posted a good list on another thread, check that out if you haven't already.
    I'll just assume that you have a busy schedule because Reassess Your Chess is a very easy read.

I'm still trying to finish Art of Attack (I'll have to go through it again though once I finish, I don't even remember some of the things in the first half of the book that I read last year.)

Meanwhile, I'm also going through (very slowly) Think Like a Grandmaster, and that book is killing me
  14. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 13:28
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    I'll just assume that you have a busy schedule because Reassess Your Chess is a very easy read.
    It all depends on how much of the annotation you go through, and how seriously you look at it.
  15. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by zebano
    It all depends on how much of the annotation you go through, and how seriously you look at it.
    true, I read the whole thing a long time ago while sitting on the toilet.

but have been reading it properly for the last month and am only barely starting into it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree