3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 15:43
    Originally posted by GreatSantini
    Here's an interesting read on Alekhine by on of his contemporaries:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kmoch05.txt

That he could drink so much and stay at the top so long is amazing
    not to me, he always avoided to rematch with Capablanca ...
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 15:51
    Originally posted by zintieriv
    indeed, perhaps my choice of words was off. Alekhine played world class chess though drinking super heavily, but he most likely would have lost a rematch with Capablanca
  5. Joined
    05 Dec '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:06
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    I dirnk a lot too

me too, but i guess we are not alekhine ;-)
  6. Lisbon
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:19
    I know of at least 2 other master players that drink like hell. And by hell I mean they have beer before the first game and take every possible break to drink another one.

I also don't know how they do it... especially because at least one of them seems to play better with beer than without it.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:40
    Originally posted by branc0
    I know of at least 2 other master players that drink like hell. And by hell I mean they have beer before the first game and take every possible break to drink another one.

I also don't know how they do it... especially because at least one of them seems to play better with beer than without it.
    Spielman had that reputation
  8. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:43
    I play excellent pool when I'm drunk, but chess.... No way.
    In saying that tho, I'm also a great dancer when I'm drunk :-p
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:46
    i can vouch for onyx playing badly drunk. so i expected a huge ratings drop over xmas.. turns out its not too bad, so i guess no one was moving against him. you missed your chance people!
  10. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 16:49
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    i can vouch for onyx playing badly drunk. so i expected a huge ratings drop over xmas.. turns out its not too bad, so i guess no one was moving against him. you missed your chance people!
    LOL - disconnected the internet @ home for dignity's sake!!!
  11. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 18:53
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    I play excellent pool when I'm drunk, but chess.... No way.
    In saying that tho, I'm also a great dancer when I'm drunk :-p
    heh I have that same problem. I can't knock down the simplest pool shot w/o the assistance of at least one beer.
  12. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 23:201 edit
    Originally posted by GreatSantini
    Here's an interesting read on Alekhine by on of his contemporaries:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kmoch05.txt

That he could drink so much and stay at the top so long is amazing
    The top of what? If He didn't have Jesus in his heart, what has he gained if he is World Champion for one hundred times? Only through Christ Jesus can a man truly find happiness. It's easy to fall into the ways of the world, but how many men truly have the adventures of Paul, Peter and the Apostles? How many men have not a roof over their heads or a car but do the things of Christ like Paul? I think it's time for the world to wake up! Jesus is Lord! Repent and be saved! The Lord is One! Chess is fun even if you can't play like Alekhine, and even if you could, without Christ, a man is nothing... only dust in the wind!
  13. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 23:24
    Originally posted by powershaker
    The top of what? If He didn't have Jesus in his heart, what has he gained if he is World Champion for one hundred times? Only through Christ Jesus can a man truly find happiness. It's easy to fall into the ways of the world, but how many men truly have the adventures of Paul, Peter and the Apostles? How many men have not a roof over their heads or a ...[text shortened]... Alekhine, and even if you could, without Christ, a man is nothing... only dust in the wind!
    Yeah totally
  14. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 23:271 edit
    I see the point now...
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 23:59
    Originally posted by zintieriv
    I understand that Alekhine did offer Capablanca a World Chess Title Match, but Capablanca did not accept it. Seems like I read that Capablanca said that it was a bad date for him to play a chess match. Alekhine did not offer it again. Alot of the friction between Alekhine and Capablanca was Capablanca's own fault. He told Alekhine to put up the money if he wauted to play for the World Chess Title. After some time Alekhine did, but then Capablanca told Alekhine that he had to win a certain chess tournament to play for the title. This second thing angered Alekhine. Alekhine treated Capablanca the way he did because of that hidden requirement. Capablanca didnot treat Alekhine any better then Alekhine treated him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree