Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 23 Sep '08 03:59 / 2 edits
    Haven't run RHP Player Stats in several months. Here's the latest update. Look at the web page for a table view of the stats.

    http://www.personalchesstraining.com/rhpStats.html


    Here it is in text form ... kind of hard to read without tables and graphs.


    Basic Statistics for Players on Red Hot Pawn

    MIN MAX FREQ P + - Z GRAPH
    2400 2600 2 0.01 0.01 99.99 4.51
    2200 2400 33 0.17 0.18 99.82 3.67
    2000 2200 147 0.77 0.96 99.04 2.83
    1800 2000 452 2.37 3.33 96.67 1.99
    1600 1800 1,653 8.68 12.01 87.99 1.16
    1400 1600 4,202 22.06 34.06 65.94 0.32
    1200 1400 6,545 34.36 68.42 31.58 -0.52
    1000 1200 4,598 24.14 92.56 7.44 -1.36
    800 1000 1,330 6.98 99.54 0.46 -2.19

    N MEAN MEDIAN MID
    RANGE MAD STD VAR CV
    19,049 1,324 1,305 1,522 187 239 57,001 18
  2. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    23 Sep '08 07:32
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    Haven't run RHP Player Stats in several months. Here's the latest update. Look at the web page for a table view of the stats.

    http://www.personalchesstraining.com/rhpStats.html


    Here it is in text form ... kind of hard to read without tables and graphs.


    Basic Statistics for Players on Red Hot Pawn

    MIN MAX FREQ P + - Z GRAPH
    2400 2600 2 0 ...[text shortened]... 2.19

    N MEAN MEDIAN MID
    RANGE MAD STD VAR CV
    19,049 1,324 1,305 1,522 187 239 57,001 18
    I am inclined to say "Interesting" but I can't so I will have to say "pretty" but what does the graph actually mean?
  3. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    23 Sep '08 08:18
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I am inclined to say "Interesting" but I can't so I will have to say "pretty" but what does the graph actually mean?
    Looks like number of players in each rating interval.
  4. 23 Sep '08 09:22
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I am inclined to say "Interesting" but I can't so I will have to say "pretty" but what does the graph actually mean?
    The graph shows that all RHP players are thin at one end, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end.
  5. 23 Sep '08 09:55
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The graph shows that all RHP players are thin at one end, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end.
    And this is your theory is it...?
  6. Subscriber jb70
    State of Confusion
    23 Sep '08 10:01
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The graph shows that all RHP players are thin at one end, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end.
    Not all.I am thin in the middle.
  7. 23 Sep '08 12:35
    Originally posted by jb70
    Not all.I am thin in the middle.
    and thicker at either end? that would be a site.
  8. 23 Sep '08 12:52 / 1 edit
    This is only the second time I've posted the stats. Let's compare May 12, 2008 with September 22, 2008. These dates were just random and not selected for any reason. Over time we can determine cycles, trends, and seasonal effects of the data.

    http://www.personalchesstraining.com/rhp_statistics_may_2008.html

    http://www.personalchesstraining.com/rhp_statistics_september_2008.html

    Overall, not much change. The numbers are about the same. Roughly 35% are rated between 1200 and 1400. Almost 97% are below 1800. The average player is 1324.
  9. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    23 Sep '08 12:58
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    This is only the second time I've posted the stats. Let's compare May 12, 2008 with September 22, 2008. These dates were just random and not selected for any reason. Over time we can determine cycles, trends, and seasonal effects of the data.

    http://www.personalchesstraining.com/rhp_statistics_may_2008.html

    http://www.personalchesstraining.com/rhp_statistics_september_2008.html

    Overall, not much change. The numbers are about the same.
    the median has been in 1280s for years as I remember, it seems to have increased recently...
  10. 23 Sep '08 13:08
    I don't know anything about RHP's internal numbers over time, but the statistics I've gathered in May and September show the median is unchanged (1303, 1305). I am not disputing what you have said; I'm just saying that my statistics are independent of RHP and simply draw from their data.
  11. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    23 Sep '08 13:09
    I am assuming this is just a list basically of the number of players in each rating group.

    It shows there are a lot more patzers than strong players, perhaps because when strong players stop playing they often time out on a lot of games and get a depressed rating.
  12. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    23 Sep '08 13:36 / 1 edit
    I wonder how much of the distribution shape is caused by the rating system itself...

    Edit - I mean, there are obvious ways that we can see that it has a strong impact but, for example, would a simple increase in the number of players (that start at 1200) be expected to lead to a shift in the median?
  13. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    23 Sep '08 13:51
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    I don't know anything about RHP's internal numbers over time, but the statistics I've gathered in May and September show the median is unchanged (1303, 1305). I am not disputing what you have said; I'm just saying that my statistics are independent of RHP and simply draw from their data.
    a couple of years ago it was 1280, then 1281, then 1285, 1286... can't remember the exact times, but it seems now it's been more or less steadily climbing towards the average... you could probably find some of the older data by searching the forums. the average has been posted only once or twice (by chris I think), but median more often as it's so easy to find out.
  14. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    23 Sep '08 13:53
    Originally posted by zebano
    and thicker at either end? that would be a site.
    sight?
  15. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    23 Sep '08 14:05
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    sight?
    He meant www.bigfootedbignosedcircusfreaks.com