26 Aug '06 23:44
    whats the diff between im and gm?
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 23:46
    Originally posted by kmac27
    whats the diff between im and gm?
    a GM has to pass certain tests like getting 2600 hundred results in a tournament where they play three grandmasters or some other thing like that otherwise an IM can be stronger than some GMs but just haven't done the tests that they have to go through.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 23:49
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    a GM has to pass certain tests like getting 2600 hundred results in a tournament where they play three grandmasters or some other thing like that otherwise an IM can be stronger than some GMs but just haven't done the tests that they have to go through.
    Erm, not really, kind of I guess. GM Norm = 2550. IM norm = 2300 (I think...). It's not fair to say IM's can be better than GM's though it's still possible I'm sure.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 23:55
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Erm, not really, kind of I guess. GM Norm = 2550. IM norm = 2300 (I think...). It's not fair to say IM's can be better than GM's though it's still possible I'm sure.
    I am not quite sure what a GM has to do to be a GM but I do know that it has to do more than just rating so as to keep people from beating people that are easy for them so they can milk thier rating to be a GM. and I don't know of any IMs that are stronger than a GM but it is possible.
  5. Joined
    05 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 00:12
    So jst wondering with all the talking of GM's and IM's, has anyone worked towards actually setting up a game?
  6. washington
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 06:23
    i messaged akizy about it maybe if more people do it they'll play i told him about the forum also.
  7. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 07:15
    I mean all I'm saying is if I was rated #1 or #2 I'd wanna be playing the very best on here. I find it strange they've never played - maybe they have some kind of pact - maybe it's none of my business lol!
  8. Standard memberAkizy
    Cat controls thread
    ...on the move...
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 12:58
    Ok, I will offer him 2 games !
  9. London
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 12:59
    I am not quite sure what a GM has to do to be a GM but I do know that it has to do more than just rating so as to keep people from beating people that are easy for them so they can milk thier rating to be a GM. and I don't know of any IMs that are stronger than a GM but it is possible.
    To become a GM you have to obtain 3 GM norms. This means you have to complete 3 tournaments with a rating of 2550+ in the tournament.
  10. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 13:522 edits
    Originally posted by Akizy
    Ok, I will offer him 2 games !
    And they're off!!!
    😀🙂😀
  11. Standard memberAkizy
    Cat controls thread
    ...on the move...
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 09:11
    We are now playing the most interesting part of the game

12. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 12:531 edit
    Originally posted by Akizy
    We are now playing the most interesting part of the game

Game 2423892
    Game 2423887

p.s. i want to see wilfied in the brew too!
  13. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 13:22
    Josh Waitzkin never did reach GM, but he has winning records against a few GMs. If he were still very serious about chess I'm sure he would be a GM by now.
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 13:25
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    An IM could be rated 2550 but as a result of not playing in sufficient qualifying tournaments not have achieved the GM title whereas a GM could be on the way down having passed his peak as you never lose the title once gained.
  15. Sydney
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 04:14
    Some (interesting) observations. I'll leave specific move commentary out of my observations since the games are active .. even though I can guarantee neither gentleman has anything to learn from me 😵

Weyerstrass plays his characteristic 1. c4 (he plays this almost exclusively as white). Akizy plays the 3. c6 line that Weyerstrass has the worst record against (only 50% from 4 games where he replies Nf3 according to games explorer). Akizy plays Nf6, a strange choice since his record with 1. .. e5 is 8-0-0 and the only time he played Nf3 was a draw. Weyerstrass has a great record against both but slightly worse against Nf3. The game deviates when Akizy plays Bf5 which Weyerstrass hasn't faced on RHP before. As far as i can tell the first move out of book is 6. .. Nc6 but i'm guessing my book just isn't large enough and there is at least some analysis of this line out there .. it has certainly been played before according to chessbase with about 50/50 chances for both players

Akizy plays 1. e4 which he plays almost exclusively. Weyerstrass plays e6 which Akizy has a record of 17-0-0 against although only 2 of these are against the 4. .. Ne7 line that Weyerstrass chooses. Weyerstrass "only" has 67% (of 24 games) with this line of the french but he has only played one game (against David Tebb) where he plays 4. .. Ne7 which ends in a draw. The first new move Akizy faces (on RHP) is 8. .. f5 (although this is the line Weyerstrass chose against David). However, at move 20 we are still in the (limited) book I possess. (I suppose a lot of moves are forced from 8. .. f5). The game is still following the same line as Weyerstrass v David Tebb.

It's interesting (and rare) that both players chose gambits .. as black!

There have also technically been no new moves played, that is, moves that i have not been able to find in a master database.

Both appear to have chosen to play their respective strengths rather than the others weakness

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree