1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:001 edit
    I red some thread in general forum which inspired me to post my opinion about this community.

This is the problem of all of us on this site. We are all playing to increase our strength. Our main hobby isn't chess, but rating graph. We are too hard on ourselves and it's easy to forget that chess is fantastic game even if we aren't grandmasters. Here you can always find a strong opponent, but don't forget that in real world people with 1800 rating are considered almost like chess goods belong the average folk. I think 50% of the people in western culture "know" how to play chess (And that means that they know the rules about pieces moving, excluding en passant, and that's it). Belong 100 randomly choosen people who "know" how to play chess there is maybe 10 players who would be rated about 1300 and 2 or 1 with 1800. RHP is chess addicts community, and many players constantly try to improve, so standards are obviously much higher here. We aren't THAT bad!
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:25
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I agree with you. I learn chess a lot, reading books and all, just telling that rating graph is maybe too big obsession
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. back in business
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:36
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    We aren't THAT bad!
    I play chess because it is only indoor game I am very good at.
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:38
    Good attitude!
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:45
    I fail to see a problem. I'm only interested in things that challenge me, and frankly, I can't see why I even should be interested in letting myself off easy. if someone else is, fine. but that's not for me.
  8. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:53
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I fail to see a problem. I'm only interested in things that challenge me, and frankly, I can't see why I even should be interested in letting myself off easy. if someone else is, fine. but that's not for me.
    Don't take me wrong, I do it myself in the last few months, CTS, RHP, FICS, Chessmaster 10,Fritz 10, ton of books, slow tactics, strategy. I am just telling that most of us don't suck, we are just on our road of improvement, so self-destroying never ending mantras like "I am moron" or "I suck badly" won't do any good. On the other hand sure, it is very good to set up high standards and strive to achieve your idea of improving. The better you get, the more you want to improve, I guess it's natural...
  9. back in business
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 12:57
    The better you get, the more you want to improve, I guess it's natural...
    naah...I am satisfied with my current level.
  10. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 13:161 edit
    I plan to stop reading and studying when I get the FM title(or when I give up the idea to get it 🙁 )...but until then...
    So I suppose 3-4 years at least with a lot of chess work are coming...
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 13:31
    Don't take me wrong, I do it myself in the last few months, CTS, RHP, FICS, Chessmaster 10,Fritz 10, ton of books, slow tactics, strategy. I am just telling that most of us don't suck, we are just on our road of improvement, so self-destroying never ending mantras like "I am moron" or "I suck badly" won't do any good. On the other hand sure, it is very good ...[text shortened]... of improving. The better you get, the more you want to improve, I guess it's natural...
    yes, of course. low self-esteem is the greatest obstacle in any kind of self improvement project. thinking you're a moron is the most stupid thing you can do. - what chance is there for improvement if you are keeping yourself down?

I might say I suck at things, but in reality my belief in my abilities is hard as steel. I know I can do well in anything I put my mind into. I have strong will, and oh boy am I stubborn.

still, false illusions of grandeur won't get you far either. you need to be objective but positive about your current state and potential. and it's always more beneficial to put the goals slightly out of your reach. if you play it safe, you're selling yourself short. your potential is always far above your expectations. far above.
  12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 13:53
    I know that I don't suck. I also know that there are many players who are better than I am. therefore, I work hard to improve, and the improvement is what counts.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 00:591 edit
    I believe that you get out of chess what you are willing to put into it. If you are willing to take the time and study books etc., who knows how good you can get. Most of us are just plain too lazy to do that !
  14. Joined
    12 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 01:41
    I red some thread in general forum which inspired me to post my opinion about this community.

This is the problem of all of us on this site. We are all playing to increase our strength. Our main hobby isn't chess, but rating graph. We are too hard on ourselves and it's easy to forget that chess is fantastic game even if we aren't grandmasters. Here you c ...[text shortened]... antly try to improve, so standards are obviously much higher here. We aren't THAT bad!
    I feel the same way when I go and lift at the gym. At the very best I have an average build there, but in the real world I feel huge. This is probably true for all parts of life. Like at Harvard, the dumbest kid would be one of the smartest at an average university. Or like the worst player in the National Basketball league could go to a local court and woop everyone. It is all relative...
  15. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 17:30

This is the problem of all of us on this site. We are all playing to increase our strength. Our main hobby isn't chess, but rating graph. We are too hard on ourselves and it's easy to forget that chess is fantastic game even if we aren't grandmasters. Here you c ...[text shortened]... antly try to improve, so standards are obviously much higher here. We aren't THAT bad!
    This raises a good point that I have always considered: The person who studies the game (regardless of their rating), should beat the casual player (or non-player, as it were) 9 times out of ten. Case in point: My father taught me how to play when I was very young. How the pieces move and the object of the game. It was not until I started studying the game that I realised that he knew the object of the game, but had little knowledge of how to reach that end.

I learned pawn basics, end game basics, and a cute thing that I later learned was called the Ruy Lopez, and suddenly the man I could never beat, never beat me again. So, no, comparitively we aren't THAT bad. A 1200 should be able to beat anbody who thinks chess is some idle game because at least said 1200 has an understanding and an appreciation of the richness and depth of the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree