best end game pieces to have...

best end game pieces to have...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
30 Jan 07

it is just me or do the knights seem a lot more powerful during the end game; i for one hate playing against knights at the end; trying to work out a pawn promotion with those hopping around like crazy gets me every time! i was recently playing an end game where i could have sacrificed my queen for two rooks; with regard to points it seems a good deal, yet i decided to keep the queen, still felt i had the upperhand for some reason and i won... its strange how points seem to lose all perspective once the end game comes around... to give an example, would anyone still value a pawn as having only one point at this stage?

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
30 Jan 07

How dare you disrespect the Bishop God!

AB

Moves
30 Jan 07

A king is the best end game piece to have.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
30 Jan 07

Knights are best with lots of pieces on the board. As pieces come off, the knight loses strength.

Sorry, but you seem to have it backwards.

SS

Moves
30 Jan 07

m

Moves
30 Jan 07

a knight is best for closed positions, and a bishop is best for open positions, generally. The king is a mighty powerful weapon so you should (as safely as possible) march your king up as early on in the endgame as you see fit to go where the action is. Its like the aim is to keep him alive til the endgame then bring him out to promote a pawn, or win the endgame somehow.

Dont qoute me on that, my endgames are terrible.

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
30 Jan 07

2 knights in the end-game are very strong....even in an open position...because they can protect each other.

If they work together they can keep an enemy peice trapped in the corner while you focus on other aspects of the game etc etc

z

Moves
30 Jan 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Knights are best with lots of pieces on the board. As pieces come off, the knight loses strength.

Sorry, but you seem to have it backwards.
Actually in an end game on one side of the board, a knight is often better than a bishop due to it's ability to influence both color squares. For instance in the case of rook pawn + minor piece +king vrs lone king. If the winning sides king is far away, and the weak sides king close to the action then...

Unless the pawn is on the seventh rank the knight + king + pawn will win., if it is on the seventh, the defending side may force a draw

the bishop will defend the pawn until the king arrives, but if the queening square is not the color of the bishop, then the defending side will draw. If it is, the bishop will win.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
30 Jan 07

I like Queens in the endgame. Especially when my opponent doesn't have any.

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
30 Jan 07

hahahaaa

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
30 Jan 07

Well besides the obvious choice of a Queen I would have to say that keeping both your rooks into the endgame where your opponent has one can usually secure a victory assuming that there are no grave positional disadvantages

G

Moves
30 Jan 07
1 edit

In the endgame I like to have a queen or two and both rooks, plus one knight and one bishop. That generally works out well for me....plus it doesn't hurt to have three connected passed pawns on the 7th rank.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
30 Jan 07
3 edits

Which is stronger?

Black to move!

With only a few pieces on the board a bishop can restrict the knights movement in a way the knight cannot restrict the bishop.
Also 2 bishops can deliver mate but 2 knights cannot.

M
Dutch

Moves
30 Jan 07

Originally posted by GreatSantini
In the endgame I like to have a queen or two and both rooks, plus one knight and one bishop. That generally works out well for me....plus it doesn't hurt to have three connected passed pawns on the 7th rank.
this kind of endgame is called "middlegame"

Especially when your opponent has about the same pieces,...
🙄

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
30 Jan 07

Originally posted by metbierop
this kind of endgame is called "middlegame"

Especially when your opponent has about the same pieces,...
🙄
Being a Queen, a rook, a knight and some pawns up is a key position one must learn on this site.