1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 08:43
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    I played Salimbini right at the end of last season. Naturally I got a good tonking.

He was officially rated in the 150s at the time but of course that was nearly a year out of date by the time we played. His new grade is in the 170s I think.
    +20 ECF rating points in a mere 12 months is good going.
  2. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 09:441 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    David James is much better than several of the people who have already beaten Lee Davis. It's a two point upfloat for Davis, and he has the black pieces!
    I know Dave James well. I think he'll be keen to end what has been for him a disappointing tournament on a high note. He told me, however, that he's played the white pieces poorly in this tourney, so maybe there is some hope for your man!
  3. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 09:48
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I hope this game gets shown live:
    19 Lyell, Mark............. 2232 (5) ..... Ynojosa, Felix Jose..... 2101 (5)

I used to belong to the same chess club as Mark. I once made the mistake of insulting the Kings Gambit and he thrashed me ten blitz games on the trot starting 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nc3 until I ran home crying for my mummy.
    About a hundred years ago, when we were both schoolboys, I played this unusual (and slightly) manic line of the King's Gambit in a game against Tony Miles. It finished in a rather amazing draw.
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 10:30
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    About a hundred years ago, when we were both schoolboys, I played this unusual (and slightly) manic line of the King's Gambit in a game against Tony Miles. It finished in a rather amazing draw.
    How did you end up going to school with Tony Miles? I thought you were from the north and he is from the midlands.
  5. In the ****
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 10:52
    Originally posted by Rene-Claude
    Maybe but Sugden only needs a draw, although it is true Vasli could then tie for first place with a win.
    What makes the game fascinating is that Salimbeni needs to win for a shot at the title.
  6. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 11:26
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    How did you end up going to school with Tony Miles? I thought you were from the north and he is from the midlands.
    He didn't say they went to school together, just that they played each other. There are such things as junior tournaments.
  7. e4
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 11:29
    Me and Karpov went to different schools together.
  8. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 11:36
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    He didn't say they went to school together, just that they played each other. There are such things as junior tournaments.
    But not so much in the old days - schools would not have travelled hundreds of miles for a chess match back then. Even now, only the very best players get the privilage of playing the large scale school events.
  9. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 11:53
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    But not so much in the old days - schools would not have travelled hundreds of miles for a chess match back then. Even now, only the very best players get the privilage of playing the large scale school events.
    Why a school event? We are talking about future GM and FM. There were plenty of junior chess events in the 70's.
  10. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 13:26
    I wasn't at school with Miles. Could never have afforded to go to such a posh place! And as you said we're from different parts of England. Our schools met in the semi-finals of the Sunday Times National Schools Champs.
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 14:461 edit
    I wasn't at school with Miles. Could never have afforded to go to such a posh place! And as you said we're from different parts of England. Our schools met in the semi-finals of the Sunday Times National Schools Champs.
    I knew it must have been the Sunday Times competition when I read your post. That used to get quite a lot of publicity in the 70s.

What I didn't realise, and I'm amazed that I didn't know this, was that Tony Miles went to a posh school. (St. Edwards, Birmingham). I thought he was a working class hero!
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 14:50
    Lee Davis lost in the last round of the Week 2 Morning Tournament. He finished on 2.5/5 with a grading performance of 148 (roughly 1990 FIDE).

Well done Lee, RHP is proud of you! Now lets see if you can drag yourself off the bottom of the Championships tournament itself.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 15:002 edits
    Lalic and Gordon drew in ten moves to guarantee that neither of them will win the Championship... Why?

Nick Pert has played some fairly boring, stodgy stuff in this tournament. He finally opened up against Jack Rudd and completely marmalized him.
  14. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 15:14
    It is mad i thought all top 7 boards would have all gone for it then i saw the draw master take an early draw its weird.....
    Nick pert beat rudd easily but they were both out of it anyways....
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '08 16:104 edits
    Gormally looks lost against untitled Jonathan Hawkins. Looking at Hawkins grading chart, it looks like he wasn't a particularly talented junior and only started to get to 200+ strength when in his twenties.
    http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getref.php?ref=174270L

Edit: Sorry, I'm talking out my arse, Hawkins hasn't got the easy win I thought he had.

I don't like Jones' position at all at all, or Conquest's for that matter.

Edit: Conquest drew. He can only be caught by Arkell or Jones, who are playing each other. Jones is defending a horrible ending, but he has got an outside passed pawn...

Dietmar Kolbus can also reach 8/11, but I assume he is ineligible for the title.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree