Moves
    15 Mar '13 02:57
    Woodypusher. hahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahah
  3. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 19:171 edit
    IM Lawrence Trent on the Livestream again... it's better than Countdown in the afternoon.. slow start today though.
  4. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 02:40
    1st nRound-all 4 games drawn,not much action in most of them.
  5. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 19:59
    Round two saw wins by Aronian and Radjabov today
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 15:55
    where can i download the pgn for rounds 2 and 3?
  7. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 19:54
    Aronian leads after 3 rounds...And that is all the people need to know.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 20:52
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Aronian leads after 3 rounds...And that is all the people need to know.
    He leads by only one game. So that doesn't mean much at this stage does it?
  9. Joined
    12 Aug '09
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 11:571 edit
    I thought the second round game between Radjabov and Ivanchuk looked interesting. Black lost a queen for a rook and bishop. I enjoy playing the Dutch Defence, so I'd be appreciative if one of the more experienced members on this site would be willing to analyse this game. Was the final position entirely lost for black? Thanks!
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 13:38
    Obviously these guys play at a slightly higher level than us, but I'd have played on for a while if I'd been Black (I believe Ivanchuk actually lost on time). If White had played 35.Qxc6 I'd have tried something like this:

Obviously this isn't forced and if White grabs Black's g3 pawn on move 35 I think Black might as well resign as White will start throwing his queenside pawns forward very quickly. Of course none of them is protected, but even so you could imagine White setting up a position with pawns on c6 and e6 and then marching his king up, with Black always having to prevent Qd7 tricks.
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 13:441 edit
    I'm looking forward to round 5 when Ivanchuk is White against Carlsen. Ivanchuk is capable of playing amazing chess and he might want to prove that he's still one of the best players in the world by going for it against Carlsen. I'm expecting Ivanchuk and Gelfand to draw quickly in round 4 as they'll both still be in shell shock.
  12. out on bail
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 15:03
    Originally posted by sundown316
    1st nRound-all 4 games drawn,not much action in most of them.
    Not much action!

I'm astounded that Grischuk-Ivanchuk was a draw when it seemed to me a clear win for black.

I can't believe that Carlsen would accept half a point as black in the final position.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 00:592 edits
    Originally posted by michael liddle
    Not much action!

I'm astounded that Grischuk-Ivanchuk was a draw when it seemed to me a clear win for black.

I can't believe that Carlsen would accept half a point as black in the final position.
    The final position is a symmetrical endgame with no chance for a win for either side in the Aronian vs Carlsen game. I haven't looked at the final position for the Grischuk vs Ivanchuk game yet. That is because it has not been played. The ist round game was Ivanchuk vs Grischuk - the 2 Chukies.

P.S. Yep. That is a clear draw too.
  14. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 02:33
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I'm looking forward to round 5 when Ivanchuk is White against Carlsen. Ivanchuk is capable of playing amazing chess and he might want to prove that he's still one of the best players in the world by going for it against Carlsen. I'm expecting Ivanchuk and Gelfand to draw quickly in round 4 as they'll both still be in shell shock.
    As long as Aronian continues to play well, Carlsen will have to keep up. I don't see Ivanchuk having much chance against a Carlsen who needs to win.
  15. out on bail
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 10:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The final position is a symmetrical endgame with no chance for a win for either side in the Aronian vs Carlsen game. I haven't looked at the final position for the Grischuk vs Ivanchuk game yet. That is because it has not been played. The ist round game was Ivanchuk vs Grischuk - the 2 Chukies.

P.S. Yep. That is a clear draw too.
    Yes, the game was between the two 'chuks'

The computer candidate moves suggested a black win in about 15 moves. Considering they are playing for the right to challenge Anand, I would have expected black to queen a pawn and continue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree