1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 11:37
    Originally posted by michael liddle
    The computer candidate moves suggested a black win in about 15 moves. Considering they are playing for the right to challenge Anand, I would have expected black to queen a pawn and continue.
    The position is completely drawn. There is no Black win in 15 moves. It simple ends up in a position where both players have a pair of protected passed pawns on opposite sides of the board. e.g.
  2. out on bail
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 12:50
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The position is completely drawn. There is no Black win in 15 moves. It simple ends up in a position where both players have a pair of protected passed pawns on opposite sides of the board. e.g.[pgn]
    [FEN "8/5k2/8/1p5p/7P/p2K1PP1/8/8 w - - 0 1"]
    [SetUp "1"]

{--------------
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . k . .
    . . . . . . . .
    . p . . . . . p
    . . . . . . ...[text shortened]... . . . . . . .
    white to play
    --------------}
    1. Kc3 b4+ 2. Kb3 Kf6 3. g4 Ke5 4. g5
    [/pgn]
    Your diagram is wrong;

The final position has white queen on e4, and it is black to move. Cannot see from there how black won't get 2 queens. White's Ke4 is shown as a 'weak' move in the comp analysis!
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 14:15
    Here is what you posted:

> Yes, the game was between the two 'chuks'
    >
    > The computer candidate moves suggested a black win in about 15 moves. Considering they are
    > playing for the right to challenge Anand, I would have expected black to queen a pawn
    > and continue.

Your first sentence is clearly referring to the one I posted. If you were talking about a different one in the next sentence then you should have said so.

Jesus wept.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 14:20
    I've lately discovered the joys of youtube for chess lessons. This seems a very decent account of the games in Round Three and the earlier rounds are also available.

YouTube
  5. out on bail
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 14:28
    Here is what you posted:

> Yes, the game was between the two 'chuks'
    >
    > The computer candidate moves suggested a black win in about 15 moves. Considering they are
    > playing for the right to challenge Anand, I would have expected black to queen a pawn
    > and continue.

Your first sentence is clearly referring to the one I posted. If you were talking about a different one in the next sentence then you should have said so.

Jesus wept.
    Let's be clear. The game I mentioned is the same that you posted, but the finished position was different to yours. I said that the computer gave a win for black in ABOUT 15 moves. The number of moves is immaterial given the position.

Jesus wept X2
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 14:51
    Let's be clear. The game I mentioned is the same that you posted, but the finished position was different to yours. I said that the computer gave a win for black in ABOUT 15 moves. The number of moves is immaterial given the position.
    I give up on you. I had a quick look at your rating on this site and thought you knew a bit about chess, but now I've looked up your ECF grade I realise I'm wasting my time.
  7. out on bail
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 16:26
    I give up on you. I had a quick look at your rating on this site and thought you knew a bit about chess, but now I've looked up your ECF grade I realise I'm wasting my time.
    And that is relevant to you incorrectly posting the final position as given by chessdom............how?
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 16:43
    http://london2013.fide.com//images/tfiles/PGN/noflash/tview.html?pgnData=http://london2013.fide.com/images/tfiles/PGN/round_1.pgn
  9. Joined
    01 Feb '12
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 21:12
    Carlsen now shares the lead with Aronian after round 4 win against Grischuk.
  10. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 21:26
    I havn't been able to follow any of this tournament yet, due to work and other commitments.

Go Carlsen (or Aronian, I like em both) GO!
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 00:12
    Carlsen's win today is worth going through. I was a bit nervous in case he wasn't on form in this tournament, but I think this game shows that he is right on top of his game.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 01:092 edits
    Yes, the game was between the two 'chuks'

The computer candidate moves suggested a black win in about 15 moves. Considering they are playing for the right to challenge Anand, I would have expected black to queen a pawn and continue.
    Kingscrusher goes over all 4 round 1 games and the last one that he covers is between the 2 Chukies. He shows exactly how the draw would be obtained from the point they agreed to a draw. See the linked video and fast forward to the last game.

YouTube
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 13:262 edits
    I've made four 50p bets to make the fifth round more exciting for me:
    11/1 on Gelfand to win (generous odds on someone who has a proven track record)
    11/5 on Kramnik vs Aronian to not be drawn (hoping Aronian will be going for it)
    9/1 on Ivanchuk to win (I really rate Ivanchuk)
    33/5 on Radjabov to win (odds seemed generous)

If they all come in then I'll be cursing myself for not making it an accumulator.
  14. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 18:59
    What amazing resourcefulness from Aronian in today's game.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 20:12
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    What amazing resourcefulness from Aronian in today's game.
    I can't understand why they continued to play so long before agreeing to a draw. And in the Carlsen game, grandmasters usually agree to a draw rather than play it out to an insufficient force game like that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree