1. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 21:13
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I can't understand why they continued to play so long before agreeing to a draw. And in the Carlsen game, grandmasters usually agree to a draw rather than play it out to an insufficient force game like that.
    You must've never seen a Nakamura game. I've seen him make a move with just kings on the board.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 22:491 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    You must've never seen a Nakamura game. I've seen him make a move with just kings on the board.
    That's stupid, unless it is speed chess and you think you can win on time. But I think that is really a draw too.
  3. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 01:252 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That's stupid, unless it is speed chess and you think you can win on time. But I think that is really a draw too.
    I'm sure he was just trying to be funny. It was classical chess.

Yes it's true, you cannot win a blitz game on time with only kings left for both sides. It's still a draw.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 10:59
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I've made four 50p bets to make the fifth round more exciting for me:
    11/1 on Gelfand to win (generous odds on someone who has a proven track record)
    11/5 on Kramnik vs Aronian to not be drawn (hoping Aronian will be going for it)
    9/1 on Ivanchuk to win (I really rate Ivanchuk)
    33/5 on Radjabov to win (odds seemed generous)

If they all come in then I'll be cursing myself for not making it an accumulator.
    Buddy can you spare a dime?
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 16:46
    Just catching up with things now, I've really enjoyed some of the post-mortem analysis provided by the GM's,
    particularly Kramnik-Aronian yesterday, it's just good fun seeing 2 great players analyse with different perspectives,
    like how Aronian would question Kramnik over why a certain line led to mate, it sometimes felt like a tennis match watching them discuss the game 😀
  6. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 02:14
    Carlsen and Aronian both won today and still share the lead. It's getting interesting.
  7. Joined
    27 Feb '13
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 04:40
    Carlsen and Aronian both won today and still share the lead. It's getting interesting.
    Very much so. I think what makes it extra interesting is they both have a very very good shot at knocking off Anand. It would be nice to see someone like Aronian win.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 11:001 edit
    “I just have bad luck. I quite like my play but the ball is just not getting into the goal. Yesterday I was very close to a win, and today again... It was just amazing that I was not checkmating him. I’m afraid that if I don’t repeat moves I’m just lost. It would be a gamble because he is a very good blitz player. I am not happy about the way the tournament is going but I don’t think I can blame myself. The only thing I can do is continue to show good chess and hope that at some point I will have luck on my side.”

Sounds like a lot of frustration coming out here, but not the kind of comment I would have expected from Kramnik.
  9. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 20:46
    I think Kramnik had a win with 41.Bd2 vs. Aronian
  10. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '13 18:47
    Carlsen escapes a Rad attack.
  11. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 17:322 edits
    Carlsen-Aronian draw. Gelfand bests Radjabov. Kramnik beats Svidler. Grischuk beats Ivanchuk.
  12. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 18:27
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Carlsen-Aronian draw. Gelfand bests Radjabov. Kramnik beats Svidler. Grischuk beats Ivanchuk.
    Ivanchuk lost on time 🙁
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 20:381 edit
    On the following website is given the analysis of the games for the candidates for the World Championship:

http://london2013.fide.com/analysis/index.html

I was interested in looking at the round 8 match between the two leaders Aronian and Carlsen and noticed that the Houdini 2.0c x64 computer chess engine is being used for the evaluation analysis. Each move is rated with the numerical evaluation rating of the position and at the end of move 7 the highest difference is recorded with a 0.16 in favor of white.

I had been told that grandmasters do not match computer moves with a very high percentage. I was also told that one starts checking for matchup rates after the opening phase of the game. In this game all pieces have been developed by move 13 and the middlegame appears to have begun, so if we start comparing the matchup rates starting with move 14, it appears to me that both players have a high matchup rate with this Houdini computer chess engine.
  14. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    24 Mar '13 23:05
    Ivanchuk lost on time 🙁
    At least he's not operating any major transportation.
  15. Joined
    27 Feb '13
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 02:46
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    At least he's not operating any major transportation.
    Does anyone else think this is the end of Chucky?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree