1. e4
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 02:27
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Real names would kill the forums
    Yeah. I agree.

The Scottish Forum use to get really heated but when they switched to
    real names only it's now quite dull.

You could have an alias for posting on the forums - nobody need know who that is.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 02:34
    Originally posted by Nowakowski

My uncle, is Greg Nowak of Missoula Montana, currently rated ~2200 with rare
    playing opportunities to raise his rating (which raises every time he does get the
    chance)... any study will show his play is probably nearer the 2400 mark.
    I like Greg Nowak, and respect him. But, it is laughable to claim that his playing strength is any where near 2400.

Nowak has been below 2200 since his performance in the 1998 Turkey Open in Missoula. He has played well over 100 events since then. His current rating is 2129. The last time he played in an event that I was also in, he finished 1/2 point ahead of me. His rating dropped by one; mine rose over 40. His current rating is more than 30 lower than it was entering that event; mine is more than 200 points higher than then. We did not play, but I was happy to see him and participated with him and others in analysis of a nice endgame that he won. BTW, he lost to a weak master in that event--a player just over 2200.
  3. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 02:382 edits
    I like Greg Nowak, and respect him. But, it is laughable to claim that his playing strength is any where near 2400.

Nowak has been below 2200 since his performance in the 1998 Turkey Open in Missoula. He has played well over 100 events since then. His current rating is 2129. The last time he played in an event that I was also in, he finished 1/2 point ahe ...[text shortened]... nice endgame that he won. BTW, he lost to a weak master in that event--a player just over 2200.
    I respectfully disagree.
    Fact remains he's still a very strong player. I think in another locale he could achieve
    a higher rating than he has had. I won't argue, its silly either way. I just have lots and
    lots of respect for him.
  4. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 02:41
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Magnus, If you scan the threads you can read 998 posts about banning cheats.

White (playing up the board) to play and win.

(and when you think you have solved it look again and find the correct solution.)

[fen]8/3k4/1K6/8/4BR2/4p3/4p3/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Reveal Hidden Content
    1.Bf5+ pwnd
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 08:29
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    [hidden][/hidden]
    IT's a darn stalemate trap I tells you
  6. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 08:31
    I respectfully disagree.
    Fact remains he's still a very strong player. I think in another locale he could achieve
    a higher rating than he has had. I won't argue, its silly either way. I just have lots and
    lots of respect for him.
    And my grandfather is a GM
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 08:32
    No FIDE grade, No USCF grade
    I thought you said the other day it was easier to get to 1900 USCF than it was to get 1900 RHP. Or was that me?
  8. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 08:33
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    Hi,I'm Andrew Baxton,currently FIDE rated 2318
    Do you happen to have played a tournament in Laos recently?
  9. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 08:57
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I thought you said the other day it was easier to get to 1900 USCF than it was to get 1900 RHP. Or was that me?
    Must have been you. I obviously wouldn't know how difficult USCF grading is to elevate.
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 09:071 edit
    I obviously wouldn't know how difficult USCF grading is to elevate.
    But you know your uncle is 2400 USCF? 😛
  11. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 09:14
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    But you know your uncle is 2400 USCF? 😛
    its been postulated by many players many times before. I'm not the first.

I base my opinion on games of his, and games I've seen around that level of play.

but its my opinion, so stuff it heinz 😛
  12. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 09:43
    Real names would kill the forums
    That might not be a bad thing.

Real name Jonathan Lavis. I last played in an OTB tournament in 1982 and know that I had a BCF (before the days when the smelly barbarians north of the wall declared independence) grade back then. What that grade was I haven't a clue, it never really interested me that much. For the record, I think that introducing ratings for correspondence chess is one of the worst things that has happened in CC. It turns us all into professionals obsessing over a number, rather than friendly amateurs. My current IECG (not ICCF) rating is 1460ish but bear in mind IECG is one of the organisations that makes no mention of engine use in its rules.
  13. e4
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 12:27
    The Solution to the Magnus Study composed by Reti, Mandler & Rink

First the stalemate trap that most people fall into thinking it's easy.

And the real solution - White infact does not take any of the pawns.
    Note: if 4...Kxd7 then White can pick up the two e-pawns
    as the stalemate trap has gone.

14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 12:40
    I so would've stalemated there. didn't even bother to look further after I saw the black king was forced to get back on the e-file to be checked. nasty trick.
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 12:43
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I so would've stalemated there. didn't even bother to look further after I saw the black king was forced to get back on the e-file to be checked. nasty trick.
    The tricky part is that a solver thinks he's avoided the stalemate trick by playing 1. Bf5+ instead of 1. Bc6+

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree