1. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 16:111 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I spent over forty hours preparing for my match against a FM. His openings were easy to predict, so I was able to prepare some surprises. I also looked at all of his published games, and talked to a stronger player that had played him in a couple of matches.

I came away from the experience with a richer understanding of the resourcefulness of players at t opening), and the FM solved the problems I had prepared over the board with the clock ticking.
    Having played GM's, IM's, FM's and NM's otb I would say that the distinction in strength can vary quite a bit depending on the form of the player. I had a 2300 fide FM dead busted in his main black defense vs d4 but then was crushed mercilessly by an NM in my mainline black defense vs e4 one week later.

On any given day a player has an effective performance of give or take 150 points depending on how much sleep they got, if they are prepared etc.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 17:12
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Having played GM's, IM's, FM's and NM's otb I would say that the distinction in strength can vary quite a bit depending on the form of the player. I had a 2300 fide FM dead busted in his main black defense vs d4 but then was crushed mercilessly by an NM in my mainline black defense vs e4 one week later.

On any given day a player has an effective performance of give or take 150 points depending on how much sleep they got, if they are prepared etc.
    I agree.

Indeed, a strong expert like G. Nowak may indeed play as a 2400 on any given day. Earlier this year I watched an IM miss a checkmate threat that some of the C players who were watching did not miss--consequently a probable draw became a loss. He was under severe time pressure and was playing an NM that should be getting his FM title any day now.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 23:09
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I spent over forty hours preparing for my match against a FM. His openings were easy to predict, so I was able to prepare some surprises. I also looked at all of his published games, and talked to a stronger player that had played him in a couple of matches.

I came away from the experience with a richer understanding of the resourcefulness of players at t ...[text shortened]... opening), and the FM solved the problems I had prepared over the board with the clock ticking.
    I know exactly what you mean. The game itself is the reward, and the result almost becomes secondary to the whole experience. Even when you lose, you feel like you won a little just because of what you walk away from the board with in terms of the experience and the lessons to learn and apply going forward.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 01:40
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Why not make it mandatory for everyone to declare who they actually really
    are in their profiles posting their current OTB grade (if they have one).

Liars and posers would soon be expsed.

That would go a long long way to preventing players from considering using a box
    and perhaps stop some of mud slinging.

I cannot see why chess players are s ...[text shortened]...
    Geoff Chandler - last OTB grade 2001 - FIDE grade 2025 (I think..It's something like that).
    Cheating on RHP is impossible to prevent. especially if the cheater is willing to start a new identity, perhaps if needed from another IPS address. Prove that statement wrong and you might have something RHP can apply.
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 02:14
    I feel cheating is like killing

There is law, that forbid murders, but we can,t prevent it.

The same here with cheating, there is law, that forbid it, but we can't prevent it.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 06:47
    I don't understand why anyone would want to bother cheating on RHP, turning themselves into a chess machine's robot, but I guess it takes all kinds.
  7. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 05:481 edit
    Well no one has strengh given by heaven.

No one is Edgar Cayce.. ( Who's elo would be very high, because he sleep and then, when he sleep, he know all. All on his adversary too.

Man, I would love to be able to play stronger just by sleeping and having someone hypnotise me.

Edit: what would be God'S strengh in this game ?
  8. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 07:34
    Originally posted by AudreyxSophie

No one is Edgar Cayce.. ( Who's elo would be very high, because he sleep and then, when he sleep, he know all. All on his adversary too.
    Wouldn't he time out often that way??
  9. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 18:54
    Well, true, he can't press the clock on he played, sop just have someone to help him out, on these little things..

Never tought about that...
  10. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 03:311 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Why not make it mandatory for everyone to declare who they actually really
    are in their profiles posting their current OTB grade (if they have one).

Liars and posers would soon be expsed.

People seem reluctant to give out their names. Perhaps instead they could put their weight. I'm not one to advocate witch hunts... but if they weigh the same as a duck... draw your own conlusions.
  11. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 10:23
    Less than a duck. The same as a duck is inconclusive. Should we have a RHP standard duck?
  12. e4
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 12:37
    ...there is a duck on e5....

YouTube
  13. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 13:14
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Less than a duck. The same as a duck is inconclusive. Should we have a RHP standard duck?
    No no.. I checked with Sir Bedevere... it's definitely the same as a duck
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 00:00
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Many of my opponents duck Alekhine's with 2. Nc3.
  15. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 01:51
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    All due respect to Sir Bedevere, but I still think the best way to know is to build a bridge out of them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree