1. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 14:41
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The Solution to the Magnus Study composed by Reti, Mandler & Rink

[fen]8/3k4/1K6/8/4BR2/4p3/4p3/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

First the stalemate trap that most people fall into thinking it's easy.

[pgn]

[FEN "8/3k4/1K6/8/4BR2/4p3/4p3/8 w - - 0 1"]
    [SetUp "1"]

{--------------
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . k . . . .
    . K . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .
    . . . ...[text shortened]... to play
    --------------}
    1. Bf5+ Kd8 2. Rd4+ Ke8 3. Re4+ Kd8 4. Bd7 e1=Q 5. Bb5[/pgn]
    4.Bd7 was awesome. The bishop offers itself as an escape square!
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 17:57
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    its been postulated by many players many times before. I'm not the first.

I base my opinion on games of his, and games I've seen around that level of play.

but its my opinion, so stuff it heinz 😛
    Why not base your opinion on his performance in his most recent "high level" event outside of Montana, Idaho, and eastern Washington:
    http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200408220430.1-10310423

Nowak
    drew a 1985
    drew a 2122
    drew a 2087
    took a bye
    lost to a 2292

His rating after the event was 2147, far higher than his performance raring in the event
  3. e4
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 18:18
    Originally posted by philidor position
    4.Bd7 was awesome. The bishop offers itself as an escape square!
    Yes it's a lovely piece of chess.

I got it originally only by thinking it was far too easy
    so I looked for the trick.

If it had been an OTB game and not a study I'm sure I
    would have fallen for the stalemate.
  4. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 18:53
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Why not base your opinion on his performance in his most recent "high level" event outside of Montana, Idaho, and eastern Washington:
    http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200408220430.1-10310423

Nowak
    drew a 1985
    drew a 2122
    drew a 2087
    took a bye
    lost to a 2292

His rating after the event was 2147, far higher than his performance raring in the event
    This is what happens when anyone gives out personal information.....everything gets personal.
  5. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 18:56
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Yes it's a lovely piece of chess.

I got it originally only by thinking it was far too easy
    so I looked for the trick.

If it had been an OTB game and not a study I'm sure I
    would have fallen for the stalemate.
    I didn't solve it, but I enjoyed trying. Thanks.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 02:35
    Originally posted by acb123
    This is what happens when anyone gives out personal information.....everything gets personal.
    It's not personal. It's merely a challenge to the claim that a player that I've lost to twice in OTB play plays at 2400 strength. It would hurt less to lose to him if it were true, but his current rating reflects his actual strength. He might be stronger if he played stronger competition more often, but he does not and is not. He is the strongest player in Montana and deserves respect. There's no need, however, to exaggerate the level of his skill.

These forums are full of outlandish claims; I refute those I have the ti9me, knowledge, and inclination to address. It is never personal.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 14:151 edit
    Originally posted by acb123
    That post didn't sound personal to me.
  8. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 19:56
    Originally posted by philidor position
    That post didn't sound personal to me.
    Your not the person, so that has no value.
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 19:59
    It's not personal. It's merely a challenge to the claim that a player that I've lost to twice in OTB play plays at 2400 strength. It would hurt less to lose to him if it were true, but his current rating reflects his actual strength. He might be stronger if he played stronger competition more often, but he does not and is not. He is the strongest player in M ...[text shortened]... refute those I have the ti9me, knowledge, and inclination to address. It is never personal.
    have you ever played someone who is 2400? Do you feel you could tell the difference between a 2400 and 2200 if you didnt know in advance their rating?
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 20:02
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Do you feel you could tell the difference between a 2400 and 2200 if you didnt know in advance their rating?
    It is clear from everything
  11. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 20:18
    have you ever played someone who is 2400? Do you feel you could tell the difference between a 2400 and 2200 if you didnt know in advance their rating?
    vs a 2400 my position is hopeless at move 1
    vs a 2200 it's hopeless after 10 moves

Huge difference 😉
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 20:491 edit
    I have played a 2400 only in a simul (an IM with two GM norms). But I have played a match against a 2250 FM that had been 2400 in his prime and I've played two rated games against Greg Nowak. The difference between the FM and Nowak was clear to me.
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 01:14
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    vs a 2400 my position is hopeless at move 1
    vs a 2200 it's hopeless after 10 moves

Huge difference 😉
    I've lost to USCF 2200-type Masters plenty of times, but I have 4 draws under my belt. I was a piece up in two of them- one I took because I was chicken, and the second because I could not avoid a perpetual.

Curiously, the other two draws were on the black side of a Sicilian Dragon, of all things. One was a near endgame I think the Master should have played on in. The second was a misplayed combo where I saw one move farther, amazingly. They offered both times, and I accepted like a freshman who just found a prom date.

I expect 2200-level masters to be better than my OTB 1700-1850 range self, but I still make them play the game, because they make errors I can recognize, although there are very few of them.

In my experience, once they get over 2300, I just lose. The air gets pretty thin up there, and I just gasp.

Paul
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 02:19
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I've lost to USCF 2200-type Masters plenty of times, but I have 4 draws under my belt. I was a piece up in two of them- one I took because I was chicken, and the second because I could not avoid a perpetual.

Curiously, the other two draws were on the black side of a Sicilian Dragon, of all things. One was a near endgame I think the Master should h ...[text shortened]... e they get over 2300, I just lose. The air gets pretty thin up there, and I just gasp.

Paul
    I spent over forty hours preparing for my match against a FM. His openings were easy to predict, so I was able to prepare some surprises. I also looked at all of his published games, and talked to a stronger player that had played him in a couple of matches.

I came away from the experience with a richer understanding of the resourcefulness of players at that level. Hours of prep with Informant and Fritz, my only draw with Hiarcs 12 at full strength (forced to play the FM's opening), and the FM solved the problems I had prepared over the board with the clock ticking.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jan '10 09:31
    I spent over forty hours preparing for my match against a FM. His openings were easy to predict, so I was able to prepare some surprises. I also looked at all of his published games, and talked to a stronger player that had played him in a couple of matches.

I came away from the experience with a richer understanding of the resourcefulness of players at t ...[text shortened]... opening), and the FM solved the problems I had prepared over the board with the clock ticking.
    hi, do you have the games? i would be interested in seeing how they went?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree