Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    23 Nov '07 23:02
    I'm 99% sure I just played a game against a cheater. Running it through fritz I'm almost certain that my opponent started using an engine about 10 moves in (going from a patzerish 3 pawn defecit to a win in only a few moves ).

    Is it a bannable offence to cheat in RHP blitz?
  2. 23 Nov '07 23:26
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I'm 99% sure I just played a game against a cheater. Running it through fritz I'm almost certain that my opponent started using an engine about 10 moves in (going from a patzerish 3 pawn defecit to a win in only a few moves ).

    Is it a bannable offence to cheat in RHP blitz?
    what were the time controls? if they were 5 10 and below I am pretty certain that he could not have been cheating because if you take the time to open frizt then the time to go back and forth between the blitz site don't you think that he would time out? Of course he could have already had it open and then just started using it but he would have had to take the time to set up the game anyways and still lose on time. Maybe you just got too confident that he was a bad player and started making mindless moves. Of course it the times were anything above 5 15 it is possible I guess.
  3. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    23 Nov '07 23:29
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    what were the time controls? if they were 5 10 and below I am pretty certain that he could not have been cheating because if you take the time to open frizt then the time to go back and forth between the blitz site don't you think that he would time out? Of course he could have already had it open and then just started using it but he would have had to tak ...[text shortened]... making mindless moves. Of course it the times were anything above 5 15 it is possible I guess.
    the thing is that the game went from a typical 1200 level opening (I played the KG and his second move was Bd6?...) to suddenly match fritz move after move.

    And the game was 15/15 ..
  4. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    23 Nov '07 23:34
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    the thing is that the game went from a typical 1200 level opening (I played the KG and his second move was Bd6?...) to suddenly match fritz move after move.

    And the game was 15/15 ..
    on http://www.chesslive.de/

    Bd6? has 15 games, 14 of which are won by white with 1 draw, sounds like youre right ...
  5. 23 Nov '07 23:34
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    the thing is that the game went from a typical 1200 level opening (I played the KG and his second move was Bd6?...) to suddenly match fritz move after move.

    And the game was 15/15 ..
    well if that is the case then I guess he could be cheating especially if it matches every move in a blitz game. But he could have been playing out of book to get you out of your game and then started playing better as long as his EVERY move doesn't match frizt. It does seem suspicious to me though.
  6. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    23 Nov '07 23:36
    15 minutes for each opponent is enough time to cheat.

    and you don't need fritz....other engines have a quick set up board position...so say 45 seconds to set up the new position and 1 minute for the engine to provide the next move.

    also....some moves don't need the engine....forced moves....recaptures etc etc...so that saves time.

    I don't cheat...pfft i'm 1350 and still lose to 1200's...
    But i know 15 minutes each player is plenty of time for cheating.
  7. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    23 Nov '07 23:38
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    well if that is the case then I guess he could be cheating especially if it matches every move in a blitz game. But he could have been playing out of book to get you out of your game and then started playing better as long as his EVERY move doesn't match frizt. It does seem suspicious to me though.
    The other thing that has me pretty convinced is that even on obvious moves he took a while to move...

    But what matters is if it's a bannable offence for future reference. If it is, I'll start saving PGN's.
  8. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    23 Nov '07 23:47
    i hope it is.
  9. Standard member nmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    24 Nov '07 00:28
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    15 minutes for each opponent is enough time to cheat.

    and you don't need fritz....other engines have a quick set up board position...so say 45 seconds to set up the new position and 1 minute for the engine to provide the next move.

    also....some moves don't need the engine....forced moves....recaptures etc etc...so that saves time.

    I don't chea ...[text shortened]... still lose to 1200's...
    But i know 15 minutes each player is plenty of time for cheating.
    Other engines are good but I hear for home use Fritz is the best...never took time to buy it...have had Chessmaster 9000 forever and I never even play against it anymore.

    If it's true then just keep the fact that you know about it and his user name..I am sure others will complain and when that does you can pipe in too.

    The best defense is to have all of your ducks in a row so that it doesn't look like an attack on the person.

    Lord knows i have been accused of cheating a few times in my day...my answer is always..lets go otb and guess what...you will see the same calculation and strength of moves...sucks being master level sometimes.

    Dave
  10. 24 Nov '07 00:42
    It seems pretty low to be cheating to win an unrated game that there is not even any proof of it ever being played.
  11. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    24 Nov '07 00:47
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    It seems pretty low to be cheating to win an unrated game that there is not even any proof of it ever being played.
    ... which is why I haven't sent feedback or made any accusations stating a name .

    1. It's possible he didn't cheat.
    2. Who cares... I've looked at his CC games and I'm sure he isn't cheating there so what's the big deal.
  12. 24 Nov '07 00:56
    I am sure there are loads of cheats on uchess, that is why I never play slower time controls then 2 minutes anymore - no one can switch to a machine that quickly and even the ones who seem to be good at it tend to have a catastrophic breakdown in the last 20 seconds of the game when they have to think with their own power.
  13. Standard member nmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    24 Nov '07 00:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    ... which is why I haven't sent feedback or made any accusations stating a name .

    1. It's possible he didn't cheat.
    2. Who cares... I've looked at his CC games and I'm sure he isn't cheating there so what's the big deal.
    Huh? You say 99% sure then you say "who cares"????

    "What's the big deal"???

    You came into a public forum and accused someone of breaking the rules. First that is a heavy accusation...second if you had a doubt..as it seems you do now...then you should not have said anything at all.

    Man this place sure has changed.

    Dave
  14. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    24 Nov '07 00:59 / 1 edit
    I don't mind playing against engines... it's a good way to learn.

    edit - and I didn't name anyone, no accusation like that.
  15. 24 Nov '07 01:03
    i don't understand what a chess engine is...is this a type of software chess board that you set up on the screen side by side with your game and you watch what the computer does and you follow it ?...if this is a chess engine then why play chess..you are not playing at all ?