1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 17:02
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Save your PGN from the game and send as feedback with your reason for believing a user may be using an engine. To my own surprise I was told by Russ that he wants ZERO engine use in any games at RHP Rated or NOT.

P-
    I cannot see how it can be enforced for the blitz site anyway. The person being accused could deny that it was their game. A PGN is just straight text which can be fabricated.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 17:12
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    This is interesting. About 12 months ago I played a number of unrated tutorial games against a selection of opponents. Right from the start my intention was to create suitable opportunities for my opponent to win and right from the start it was agreed that I would use an engine to help me develop the tactical ploys necessary to achieve this so I could ma ...[text shortened]... (having confessed to engine use in these games) I am about to be banned for infringing TOS 3(b).
    Doubt it. This aspect of the rules was not made definite until just recently and I believe it has not yet been placed in the TOS anyways. Doubt any half normal person would ban someone for accidentally breaking a rule without first giving a warning.
  3. Standard memberfennyin
    Crack Suicide Squad
    Ellicott City, MD
    Moves
    20 Dec '07 17:19
    Originally posted by wakchessdragon
    Is it possible for RHP to somehow detect running engines? Probably not? Maybe RHP admins would create some serious SPYWARE ๐Ÿ˜€
    Not really possible. Or wise, for that matter - many players would leave the site rather than install some intrusive cheater-detection program.

Doesn't do anything to combat the use of a 2nd computer for analysis anyway...
  4. Joined
    11 Mar '07
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 21:37
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I'm 99% sure I just played a game against a cheater. Running it through fritz I'm almost certain that my opponent started using an engine about 10 moves in (going from a patzerish 3 pawn defecit to a win in only a few moves ๐Ÿ˜›).

Is it a bannable offence to cheat in RHP blitz?
    Exposed.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 22:22
    You brought it back to say that? Ugh, thanks for wasting my time.
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 22:30
    i think that engine users are to be pitied. there should be an engine user's support group. i can't think of any reason why i'd ever be bothered playing an engine in an unrated blitz game, other than to try and ponder why someone who has a 1400 rating played like a 2300 player. oh wait, the ratings don't even show in the unrecorded unrated blitz games. bring on the engines. that's completely different than the correspondence cheaters.
  7. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 23:38
    Originally posted by coquette
    i think that engine users are to be pitied ....
    and what of engine users who complain of other people using engines???
  8. Under Cover
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 04:08
    TOS or not, discouraging the use of an engine for a set-piece training game is utterly absurd. I was away from the site for several months and missed this thread when it went around originally. I just came back and jumped into Petrovitch's Personal Training initiative. Part of the deal is that I not only play set piece training games against higher rated opponents for my own development, but I also play the losing side of basic endgame positions against lower rated opponents to help them with concepts. I advised one to reference the shredder endgame tablebase to help reinforce the ideas of one particular RvP position, and then come back and try it against his human opponent here when he felt he understood it. This is clearly for instructional purposes only, and my goal is for the individual to learn...I am supposed to lose the position anyway! I was very careful to warn the person against referencing tablebases during an actual game, and explained that it was a violation of the TOS. I simply cannot understand the logic that would not permit it for set-piece educational positions.
  9. London
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 05:59
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    TOS or not, discouraging the use of an engine for a set-piece training game is utterly absurd. I was away from the site for several months and missed this thread when it went around originally. I just came back and jumped into Petrovitch's Personal Training initiative. Part of the deal is that I not only play set piece training games against higher rat ...[text shortened]... imply cannot understand the logic that would not permit it for set-piece educational positions.
    It's not about logic it's about simplicity and clarity. No engines no table bases no exceptions. I agree there are circumstances where the application of this rule is unnecessary even pointless but at least this way no one can claim they were confused or weren't sure.
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 07:10
    Originally posted by Mahout
    It's not about logic it's about simplicity and clarity. No engines no table bases no exceptions. I agree there are circumstances where the application of this rule is unnecessary even pointless but at least this way no one can claim they were confused or weren't sure.
    I'm not sure how saying "Don't use these things for rated games" is any less simple...
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 11:50
    Originally posted by Maxwell Smart
    I'm not sure how saying "Don't use these things for rated games" is any less simple...
    I can understand the logic of your argument, but I suspect Russ is keeping it VERY simple due to the not infrequent number of times that players here have been confused about whether they were playing a rated or unrated game. Impossible, you say? But it happens quite often. Then all a violator would have to say is, "Oh gee, I thought I was playing an unrated game!"
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 12:10
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I can understand the logic of your argument, but I suspect Russ is keeping it VERY simple due to the not infrequent number of times that players here have been confused about whether they were playing a rated or unrated game. Impossible, you say? But it happens quite often. Then all a violator would have to say is, "Oh gee, I thought I was playing an unrated game!"
    it's not even that far fetched, really, as we already get a steady diet of "is it against the TOS to use engines in opening preparation" type of threads. plenty of confusion even with the "very simple" policy.
  13. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leรถlรฉs ellenfeleim
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 13:19
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I'm 99% sure I just played a game against a cheater. Running it through fritz I'm almost certain that my opponent started using an engine about 10 moves in (going from a patzerish 3 pawn defecit to a win in only a few moves ๐Ÿ˜›).

Is it a bannable offence to cheat in RHP blitz?
    Oh dear
    Oh dear
    Oh dear.............
  14. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 05:053 edits
    Now he can't live in peace...

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/improving-positional-play
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 06:081 edit
    Originally posted by searchingforkolisch
    Now he can't live in peace...

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/improving-positional-play
    I see he decided to keep the same handle. [snicker]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree