1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 01:05
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    i don't understand what a chess engine is...is this a type of software chess board that you set up on the screen side by side with your game and you watch what the computer does and you follow it ?...if this is a chess engine then why play chess..you are not playing at all ?
    that's exactly right.

It's stupid.

By the way, before everyone starts crappin at me about cheating accusations, I made this post to ask about a simple rule. Is it, or is it not, against the rules of RHP to use an engine in their blitz room for unrated, casual purposes?

Now chill out people 🙄
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 01:12
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    that's exactly right.

It's stupid.

By the way, before everyone starts crappin at me about cheating accusations, I made this post to ask about a simple rule. Is it, or is it not, against the rules of RHP to use an engine in their blitz room for unrated, casual purposes?

Now chill out people 🙄
    I'm sure it's either against the rules or not against the rules.

As for me, I'm definitely chillin'.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 01:13
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I'm sure it's either against the rules or not against the rules.

As for me, I'm definitely chillin'.
    lol nice!
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 02:48
    I see little reason for anyone to cheat in RHP Blitz. It's not even rated. Also, that it matches all of Fritz's moves in a King's Gambit position is not a big deal. This is common for very tactical positions.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 03:20
    that's exactly right.

It's stupid.

read the TOS. pay attention to 3b.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 03:24
    that's exactly right.

It's stupid.

Now chill out people 🙄
    Save your PGN from the game and send as feedback with your reason for believing a user may be using an engine. To my own surprise I was told by Russ that he wants ZERO engine use in any games at RHP Rated or NOT.

P-
  7. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 05:20
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Save your PGN from the game and send as feedback with your reason for believing a user may be using an engine. To my own surprise I was told by Russ that he wants ZERO engine use in any games at RHP Rated or NOT.

P-
    That has always been the case here...even when I was here way back in the day...simple as that.

Dave
  8. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 08:27

P-
    Be careful there. What people do in setup games is none of anybody else's business. They are unrated, not in the statistics, and can start from any position. I don't see why there would be a restriction of any kind on them as long as both parties agree (if not, then either party can just drop the game with no consequences). In most cases these games are coaching or training games, and alongside with books, played mastergames, in-game chat, etc. , engines can have their merits too.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 08:391 edit
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Be careful there. What people do in setup games is none of anybody else's business. They are unrated, not in the statistics, and can start from any position. I don't see why there would be a restriction of any kind on them as long as both parties agree (if not, then either party can just drop the game with no consequences). In most cases these games are co ...[text shortened]... ngside with books, played mastergames, in-game chat, etc. , engines can have their merits too.
    But Russ said no and that is just the way it is no means no.
  10. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 10:051 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    But Russ said no and that is just the way it is no means no.
    Can you point to where Russ said exactly that? The list of names that I can give him to ban if what I described above is unacceptable to him is quite impressive ...
  11. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 11:37
    Can you point to where Russ said exactly that?
    It's always been implicit in the TOS. Phlabibit tolds us at the bottom of page 1 of Thread 74071 that Russ had confirmed it in a PM to himself.
  12. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:121 edit
    Originally posted by John of Reading
    It's always been implicit in the TOS. Phlabibit tolds us at the bottom of page 1 of Thread 74071 that Russ had confirmed it in a PM to himself.
    Please, I am around here long enough to have a reasonable idea of the difference between what has been accepted and what not. To my knowledge nobody got banned for the following two completely different threads (which according to the strict interpretation of what you seem to adhere to are in conflict with the ToS):

thread 18774 : one person playing against a conferring public
    thread 18656 : a game against an engine

Isn't it the intention (which is clearly constructive in both threads) what counts?

ps. reading the page you referred to gives me this post by the great Phlabibit himeself: "No need for feedback here. You may play an unrated game with an engine as long as the other player knows you are using an engine at the start of the game. I have 4 or 5 such BORING games with a couple 3 users.
    P-"

Ban him!
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 15:42
    Be careful there. What people do in setup games is none of anybody else's business. They are unrated, not in the statistics, and can start from any position. I don't see why there would be a restriction of any kind on them as long as both parties agree (if not, then either party can just drop the game with no consequences). In most cases these games are co ...[text shortened]... ngside with books, played mastergames, in-game chat, etc. , engines can have their merits too.
    You be careful, I was already surprised that Russ said ZERO ENGINE USE RATED OR NOT. Or are you having trouble reading what I clearly stated already?

P-
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 15:45
    Please, I am around here long enough to have a reasonable idea of the difference between what has been accepted and what not. To my knowledge nobody got banned for the following two completely different threads (which according to the strict interpretation of what you seem to adhere to are in conflict with the ToS):

thread 18774 : one person playing aga ...[text shortened]... e start of the game. I have 4 or 5 such BORING games with a couple 3 users.
    P-"

Ban him!
    Check the dates of each post... I can't do that any more since Russ wants zero use... and it's not a big deal, since it was always boring and most often a draw.

P-
  15. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 16:41
    Check the dates of each post... I can't do that any more since Russ wants zero use... and it's not a big deal, since it was always boring and most often a draw.

P-
    I strongly suggest that you avoid being used as a reference. I would like to know from Russ himself in these forums (or very explicitly in the ToS) if what I described as one of the scenario's in setup/unrated games is allowed. Meanwhile I assume the answer is yes.

ps. concerning the date of that post, I wasn't the one bringing that thread up. It was purely by accident that it contained the negation of what the poster (who did bring it up) meant. Myself, I would never have referred to you as an 'official' in these matters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree