1. Joined
    11 Jul '13
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 20:47
    How can we tell someone is using chess engines?Anyone?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 20:55
    Originally posted by Dooma
    If their play matches a top engine's moves too often, they probably are using them. It's true that this method will only catch the more blatant cheats. But what else can you do?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 22:38
    Originally posted by Dooma
    They have suspicious graphs; very smooth, no losses.

Or sometimes they are mediocre players who suddenly become great (quite often just after xmas)
  4. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 13:16
    I'd say. If they are too good. Engine users will spot 4 move combinations and play perfect endgames. Simple as that. I'd suspect that most engine users are quite young too. Until I was 20 years old I simply hated loosing. Now that I'm older I don't bother so much.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 13:21
    I don't believe that most engine users on this site are young. Some of the most prominent, for example Weyerstrass, Sea Devil and RJHinds, have been at least fifty years old.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 17:47
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I don't believe that most engine users on this site are young. Some of the most prominent, for example Weyerstrass, Sea Devil and RJHinds, have been at least fifty years old.
    Just because someone has some good results does not mean they are cheating during a game by using an engine to choose their moves. I have repeatedly denied this charge before and I resent you calling me a liar on here. Certainly you don't have to play me, if you think I play too good, but there is no need for anyone on here to continually defame me like that.

The Instructor
  7. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 18:05
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Just because someone has some good results does not mean they are cheating during a game by using an engine to choose their moves. I have repeatedly denied this charge before and I resent you calling me a liar on here. Certainly you don't have to play me, if you think I play too good, but there is no need for anyone on here to continually defame me like that.

The Instructor
    Well you did say you would stop posting in the chess forum so you are a liar.

RJHinds, you are a LIAR.
  8. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 20:22
    No flamewar, please! Call for moderation. Let's calm down. No one is accusing someone, and if that person feels so, stay quiet. Behave, please!
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 01:06
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Well you did say you would stop posting in the chess forum so you are a liar.

RJHinds, you are a LIAR.
    I don't recall saying that. I remember someone suggesting that I just play my games and stop posting in the Chess Forum and I did do that for awhile. But I don't recall that I said I would stop posting forever in the Chess Forum. Can you direct me to were I said that please. If you can show me, then I will make a note of it so I do not forget and post here again.

The Instructor
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 07:55
    I don't recall saying that. I remember someone suggesting that I just play my games and stop posting in the Chess Forum and I did do that for awhile. But I don't recall that I said I would stop posting forever in the Chess Forum. Can you direct me to were I said that please. If you can show me, then I will make a note of it so I do not forget and post here again.

The Instructor
    Here ya go Ron -

It has been suggested to me that I stop posting on this forum. I now think that is a good idea. SO THIS IS MY LAST POST ON THE CHESS FORUM.
    No hard feelings on my part. Good luck to all and may the Lord bless you all.

http://mail.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=145363&page=19
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 08:43
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Here ya go Ron -

It has been suggested to me that I stop posting on this forum. I now think that is a good idea. SO THIS IS MY LAST POST ON THE CHESS FORUM.
    No hard feelings on my part. Good luck to all and may the Lord bless you all.

http://mail.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=145363&page=19
    I stand corrected. I did not remember it that way. I am indeed a liar and in need of forgiveness. I will make a note of that and will discontinue my posts on the Chess Forum. Thank you. Are you willing to forgive me?

The Instructor
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 08:58
    I stand corrected. I did not remember it that way. I am indeed a liar and in need of forgiveness. I will make a note of that and will discontinue my posts on the Chess Forum. Thank you. Are you willing to forgive me?

The Instructor
    You don't need my forgiveness. Before you go though, see it as one last chance to come clean about your 'chess prowess'.
  13. Joined
    11 Jul '13
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 11:26
    Thanks SwissGambit,

Very reasonable answer,but RHP should make the effort to filter out these guys.Respect to all who keep the game clean.

Regards.
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 11:46
    The RHP owners used to try to keep the cheats out, but there were too many of them and when it became clear that some of the long established players were cheats they seemed to wash their hands of it all and now no-one is banned for cheating. You've always got to remember that RHP is a business, not a charity, and it's not surprising that they would rather have a cheating player who subscribes than a fair player who doesn't.

Bottom line is - if you're below ~2000 on this site, don't worry too much about cheats as you're unlikely to meet many. Above 2000 - as often as not you'll find yourself playing yet another game against Houdini or Fritz. If this bothers you then stick to real-time sites (I like playchess.com) and short time controls or, better still, join a real chess club / enter real tournaments.
  15. e4
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 15:071 edit
    Sometimes RJ used to bring me to the point of utter despair but I think
    now most us just tolerate him and sometimes...sometimes....he kicks off an
    interesting chess debate.

I don't want him to stop posting here or go.
    He posts practically everyday (usually hounding me 😉 ) but he is a
    character and fellow chess player (please don't forget that.)
    This forum is part of his life, and indeed mine......ours....?
    It will be a bit poorer without him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree