1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 09:18
    dear chess addicts, after having experimented with , modern, najdorf, caro khan,
    French, owens, philador, pirc and various gambits, what's the easiest opening to play as
    black, against 1.e4, please note, I do not mean the best, i mean the easiest, the
    equivalent of the colle of the 1.e4 for black openings. suggestions should be bullet
    proof, as easy as possible and give white no initiative at all, thanks in advance Robbie.

Ps, i have considered the Scandinavian, but never tried it, someone said it was a poor
    mans caro kan, could it be the easiest?
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 09:35
    http://www.cob.sjsu.edu/splane_m/chess/Franco.htm
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 11:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ..., what's the easiest opening to play as
    black, against 1.e4, please note, I do not mean the best, i mean the easiest...?
    The Scandanavian is pretty easy. There's only a couple major set ups for the white pieces and most of the sidelines are pretty weak for white. And if you are feeling aggressive, you can play the Icelandic gambit (1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6).

As you point out, the Scandanavian is probably a little weaker than some of the standard responses, but it is pretty straight-forward and most people aren't booked up against it OTB.
  4. e4
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 11:43
    As a 1.e4 player I can confirm THE CENTRE COUNTER was (still is) an annoying
    opening to meet.

In the end I started playing it (it's the best way to look for a line against an
    opening, playing it.) had some good results both the 2...Qxd5 and 2...Nf6 lines.

Often as White I would swing it into the Blackmar 1.e4 d5 2.d4.

There is no easy Black opening all are the same.
    If you want an easy game as Black ask your opponent to open with the Colle. 🙂
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 11:59
    Originally posted by Stamp
    http://www.cob.sjsu.edu/splane_m/chess/Franco.htm
    thank you so much, will check it out.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 12:00
    Originally posted by Erekose
    The Scandanavian is pretty easy. There's only a couple major set ups for the white pieces and most of the sidelines are pretty weak for white. And if you are feeling aggressive, you can play the Icelandic gambit (1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6).

As you point out, the Scandanavian is probably a little weaker than some of the standard responses, but it is pretty straight-forward and most people aren't booked up against it OTB.
    it is pretty straight-forward and most people aren't booked up against it OTB

this is what i wanted to hear, i think the Nf6 variation has to be better, trying to avoid tempos on the queen, will, check it out, thanks so much.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 12:02
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    As a 1.e4 player I can confirm THE CENTRE COUNTER was (still is) an annoying
    opening to meet.

In the end I started playing it (it's the best way to look for a line against an
    opening, playing it.) had some good results both the 2...Qxd5 and 2...Nf6 lines.

Often as White I would swing it into the Blackmar 1.e4 d5 2.d4.

There is no easy Black o ...[text shortened]... l are the same.
    If you want an easy game as Black ask your opponent to open with the Colle. 🙂
    this is also what i wanted to hear, still troublesome, excellent Smithers! naturally i will
    ignore the dig at the great and illustrious Colle which takes equality to a new level!
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 12:512 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    dear chess addicts, after having experimented with , modern, najdorf, caro khan,
    French, owens, philador, pirc and various gambits, what's the easiest opening to play as
    black, against 1.e4, please note, I do not mean the best, i mean the easiest, the
    equivalent of the colle of the 1.e4 for black openings. suggestions should be bullet
    proof, ...[text shortened]... avian, but never tried it, someone said it was a poor
    mans caro kan, could it be the easiest?
    At RHP the main line after 1. e4 Nf6 appears to be 2. Nc3.

😴
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 12:57
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    At RHP the main line after 1. e4 Nf6 appears to be 2. Nc3.

😴
    Wussies, anyhow, perhaps i should have been clearer, the 2....Nf6 variation of the
    Scandi, rather than, 2....Qxd5 after 2.exd5
  10. e4
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 13:14
    Hi again Robbie.

I just checked my DB. In 1994-1998 I played 11 CENTER COUNTERS as Black
    in league games up to the following the game I had won 6 on the trot.

M.Rattray - G. Chandler Dragons v Bells League 1997.

After the game me and Mickey became great friends (during the close season
    I recruited him for Bells.) We went round each other's house and blitz'd till dawn.

Anand in that other link talks about having a bad position when suddenly it
    changes, you (with the help from your opponent) manage to turn things around.
    Then, according to Anand, you should leave the board and adjust to the new situation.

Well it's OK for him but in league chess 40 moves in 1 hour 20 minutes you
    hardly have the time to go wandering about. But his advice is very sound.

I come out the opening with a gutless position, I'm in his hands.
    I get back into it and just at the moment when I'm safe. BANG!

I have won many games at the critical moment.
    The moment when it looks as if you fired your last bolt and the player,
    as I did totally relaxes. Good Game.

M.Rattray - G. Chandler Dragons v Bells League 1997.

11. Joined
    01 Jul '12
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 13:30
    If you sincerely want the black equivalent to the Colle, I'd steer you the following way:

Against 1.e4, the French. Intending bog-standard stuff against the advance (which is nice and easy to understand and highly thematic), and the Rubinstein or Fort Knox against Nc3 or Nd2. Super solid, gives white essentially nothing (at the possible expense of forfeiting the chance of creating complications as black), and will be relevant in probably 9/10 games you play vs 1.e4.

Against everything else, an Orthodox QGD setup.

You'll get pawn structures you recognize from the Colle in virtually every game, and the same level of edge-of-your-seat excitement.
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 13:39
    Originally posted by MeoWoof
    If you sincerely want the black equivalent to the Colle, I'd steer you the following way:

Against 1.e4, the French. Intending bog-standard stuff against the advance (which is nice and easy to understand and highly thematic), and the Rubinstein or Fort Knox against Nc3 or Nd2. Super solid, gives white essentially nothing (at the possible expense of forfe ...[text shortened]... ze from the Colle in virtually every game, and the same level of edge-of-your-seat excitement.
    Best post in the thread so far, in terms of topic.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 14:11
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Best post in the thread so far, in terms of topic.
    I disagree, its a superficial estimation although a very welcome one, the Colle leads to
    an open game and as Purdy commented, rarely leads to a dull game (I take it that the
    poster was being sarcastic when he mentioned edge of your seat stuff, if not I
    apologise) I have played the French, its exactly what I want to avoid, extensive theory,
    if white plays the exchange variation its practically a draw, here is a game I played on
    FICS, 10 min rated two days ago, it wasn't very exciting to be honest.

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 14:161 edit
    @GB still six in a row is pretty impressive against your peers dear GB.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 14:18
    Originally posted by MeoWoof

Against 1.e4, the French. Intending bog-standard stuff against the advance (which is nice and easy to understand and highly thematic), and the Rubinstein or Fort Knox against Nc3 or Nd2. Super solid, gives white essentially nothing (at the possible expense of forfe ...[text shortened]... ze from the Colle in virtually every game, and the same level of edge-of-your-seat excitement.
    thanks for the advice, maybe ill become a Frenchie, i dunno, i prefer the semi-slav, its
    a Colle reversed 🙂 Just to say on the Colle, Purdy, the 1st world correspondence
    chess champion stated that it rarely leads to dull games, i have to agree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree