1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jul '12 16:43
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    yet the other greatest player of all time,Alekhine,relished in complications
    Fischer said of Alekhine, you seen one game you seen them all! I must admit of all the
    world champions i find Alekhine and Kasparovs games the least appealing, Capas and
    Fischers games are crystal clear.
  2. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    06 Jul '12 20:271 edit
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    Lets put your idea to the test - i'll challenge you to a scando game?
    This is not my idea, but I don`t mind to test it against you. Challenge me. Time control - 7/7
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Jul '12 23:18
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Robbie.

Why, all you are doing is playing what your opponent will be expecting you to play.
    Opening books are published in the thousand, not just one copy.
    What you know, the chances are they will know.

The perfect game you seek will eventually come down to this position.

[fen]4k3/8/3PK3/8/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    With White to play it's a ...[text shortened]... on f5 (or f4 when Black plays it is the most common win on here in the Englund.)}[/pgn]
    GP, I won two games in a week right in the opening after the last 1. e4 post of yours I read, and I can't wait to try this.

I'm going to have to call Sandy Bells (sp?) and see if they will take an American Bank CC over the phone!
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    06 Jul '12 23:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Fischer said of Alekhine, you seen one game you seen them all! I must admit of all the
    world champions i find Alekhine and Kasparovs games the least appealing, Capas and
    Fischers games are crystal clear.
    I can relate to that.

But I couldn't pass the opportunity to say 'other greatest player' 😉
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 00:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 00:20

7. e4
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 00:54
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    GP, I won two games in a week right in the opening after the last 1. e4 post of yours I read, and I can't wait to try this.

I'm going to have to call Sandy Bells (sp?) and see if they will take an American Bank CC over the phone!
    I'll settle for a picture of your fridge....any fridge.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 11:054 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Hi, thanks for the encouragement dear Dutchess, i really appreciate it, however, will
    you consider my theory? Here it is, I want to play chess strategically, by this, I
    mean, I want to create positions where the dynamics are such that its not a tactical
    melee, but the static aspects are the most important, for example a stonewall, or a
    Marocy bind, this is not only a matter of taste, but of practicality, for it is clear that
    the weakest aspect of my game is tactics and the strongest strategy. Yes i know,
    the two are interdependent, this is understood, but it appears to me that one should
    play towards ones strengths and aim for positions were ones 'feels', comfortable, is
    it not the case? Of course tactics are decisive and flow from a superior position, but
    i cannot explain it, the most joy I get is from trying to exploit the static elements,
    pawn structure, weak squares etc, pure tactics and winning material from double
    attacks, forks etc feels cheap in comparison, unless its accompanied by strategy. I
    illustrate it with a game, a 10 min blitz game, simply because it illustrates what I am
    talking about.

9. e4
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 13:291 edit
    Hi Robbie.

Just a few words about the notes.

Black has just played 10...c6

"a losing move, not solely because the Knight is trapped, but because the
    c5 square will be weak for the entire game, this has much more significance
    than winning the hapless knight."

I think most of us would consider the taking of the Knight more important
    especially as the square c5 is not weak till Black's move 11...b5.
    What you have (apart from being a whole piece up) is a potential weakness
    at c6 after, and if, Black should play b6 to cover c5.

"look at this structure, its the stuff dreams are made of,
    a weak c5 square and a backwards pawn on c6."

No mention of being a piece up. That is the stuff dreams are really made of.

It's easy being a piece up to carry out any strategical idea that takes
    your notion. Your pieces cannot be challenged from going to good
    squares because every exchange (a strategical aim when a piece up)
    will take Black closer to a resignable position.
    (it's close to that now.)

You write a good positional game, however...
    Here you played 12.Bb3 holding the a-pawn.

Better, and in line with your thoughts of the weak c5 sqaure would have been
    12.Qc1

Holding the a-pawn, spotting the c6 pawn and leaving the b3 square vacant for
    (after castling) Nb3 hitting the Queen and Nc5 occupying the weak square with a Knight.

Later on you waste a tempo playing 18.Bb3-a2 to free b3 for the d2 Knight.

Spotting weak squares is easy, working out routes (usually via that dirty
    word - 'tactics'😉 to exploit them is not so easy. Here you failed and that
    can cleary be seen in 18.Ba2.

Really the whole game was blitz with little in it.
    White was given a piece, Black dug in hoping to win on time.

No mention of 24.Bxe6+ here.
    (You treated this Bishop pretty badly in this game.)

But we can get something from it:
    Other pieces and pawns taking potential Knight squares.

First we learn not to place our pieces and pawns en prise.
    We get better and learn not place our pieces and pawns where
    they could block or hinder our other pawns and pieces.

This game showed a tactical example. 10...c6 blocking the Knights retreat
    and a positional example 12.Bb3 requiring a later 18.Bb3-a2 and 21.Qc5-b4
    to undo it.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 18:191 edit
    No mention of being a piece up. That is the stuff dreams are really made of.

Think about it GP, I did nothing to gain that piece, it was not engineered, it had nothing
    to do with my chess skill or application of knowledge, it was a mistake made by my
    opponent and entirely coincidental. Had i engineered the hapless knights downfall then
    yes, we could talk of dreams and the stuff they are made of, but it was nothing on my
    part, my opponent simply blundered and it brought me little satisfaction to see it! yes
    Qc1 was better and i have no explanation why i didn't take on e6 other than i am
    mince.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 19:55

12. under your bed
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 20:051 edit
    for those who wish - you can follow the death of the scando plopzilla vs Pacifique 😉

Game 19780
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 20:061 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I cannot count the number of times i have been mated on g7 because of the French
    defence advance variation, I dont like the way the knight gets pushed back from f6
    after the e5 advance and its ends up e7 blocking my kings bishop 🙁
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 20:07
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    for those who wish - you can follow the death of the scando plopzilla vs Pacifique 😉

Game 19780
    Scando lives!
  15. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    07 Jul '12 21:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    dear chess addicts, after having experimented with , modern, najdorf, caro khan,
    French, owens, philador, pirc and various gambits, what's the easiest opening to play as
    black, against 1.e4, please note, I do not mean the best, i mean the easiest, the
    equivalent of the colle of the 1.e4 for black openings. suggestions should be bullet
    proof, ...[text shortened]... avian, but never tried it, someone said it was a poor
    mans caro kan, could it be the easiest?
    Well I think the first thing you should do is throw out all your opening books. They are a waste of time and money until you are a good player. Even the most basic looking line has a huge amount of theory to learn, so why go through the pain for so little gain.

Play from the start just using opening principles. You will be surprised after the game to see that you have played moves grandmasters can't improve on.

The problems come in the middle game, but that is all about tactics at our level. Which is my point, few games are won in the opening. Most are decided by a tactical error in the mid/endgame.

Don't use opening books as a crutch, there is no cure all. Chess is supposed to be hard work, and the more fun for it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree