Chess Scandal - the videos

Chess Scandal - the videos

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U

Moves
11 Jun 13

Originally posted by greenpawn34
How about taking this American Football stuff to the sports forum.

Anyway it's a stupid game, bunch of cissies all padded up.
Bare knuckle Rugby is the way that game should be played.
These guys don't wear girlie shoulder pads.

The Seahawks!.....you are having a laugh, The Giants.

(Borislav Ivanov is a Seahawks fan.)
Different sport. American Football has the highest injury rate of any sport.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/06/08/11-most-dangerous-sports/#12
You knew this would be #1 before we even started. But you probably didn’t know just how much more dangerous football is than other sports. Sure, it was second in total injuries to basketball with 2,490,000. But there are so many fewer people playing football, which means the rate of injury is astronomically higher: 4.85%.

That’s right, football players are more than twice as likely to sustain injuries as a player in the next most dangerous sport. And despite all the hullabaloo in hockey about “head shots” this year, football is king of head injuries with 274,455. It’s also tops in shoulder (144,896), lower arm (88,266), lower trunk (98,565), and lower leg (88.234) injuries.

So play football at your own risk, folks. I’m going to stick to soccer. It’s not even on the list.

http://www.enotes.com/homework-help/which-sport-has-highest-rate-injuries-what-kind-288899
Football players suffer more injuries than all other athletes combined. Football sees 12 times more injuries than the next most injury-prone sport—basketball. Knee problems are the most common type of sport injury. Two-thirds of basketball players' injuries and one-third of football players' injuries are knee-related.

Source: Prevention's Giant Book of Health Facts, p. 215.

American bias, right?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/shortcuts/2013/jan/28/american-football-rugby-more-dangerous

While American football may be a niche interest in the UK, rugby is often seen as similarly dangerous – so should David Cameron be as worried as President Obama? Not according to Jim McKenna, a professor of physical activity and health at Leeds Metropolitan University (and a rugby coach). He points out that American footballers tackle with their heads, butting each other in a way seldom seen in rugby. "They butt the opposition and their head is the tip of the missile, with an enormous body of weight behind them," says McKenna. Meanwhile, the helmets and padding the US sportsmen wear can actually make the situation worse, he thinks, encouraging them to use more force.

Last, for your enjoyment. In American Football they don't have to actually try to wrap someone up to take them down. They can just take their 250 pound self and drill you at track star speeds.

e4

Moves
11 Jun 13

Hi Para Guy,

Well obviously who ever did that research is a dribble dick.

Have you never heard of 'Chess Clock Finger', 'Thinkers Elbow' and 'Castling Cramp.'
These are all injuries you associate with the noble game of Chess.

Last year there was 2,534,023 reported cases of wrist strain due to players castling.
This explains why many players do not castle!

Info supplied by Professor Herbert Nutblock MD, PhD, Gee-Gee and Flask.

U

Moves
11 Jun 13

Hi Para Guy,

Have you never heard of 'Chess Clock Finger', 'Thinkers Elbow' and 'Castling Cramp.'

Last year there was 2,534,023 reported cases of wrist strain due to players castling.

I'd like to play chess on a huge board with real humans dressed as the pieces, carrying real weapons. When you capture a piece or pawn, it isn't automatic. The two "pieces" have to fight to the death for control of the square.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Jun 13
1 edit

How about taking this American Football stuff to the sports forum.

Anyway it's a stupid game, bunch of cissies all padded up.
Bare knuckle Rugby is the way that game should be played.
These guys don't wear girlie shoulder pads.

The Seahawks!.....you are having a laugh, The Giants.

(Borislav Ivanov is a Seahawks fan.)
I watched a little Rugby on youtube. I think I see the difference.

The players aren't 6' 8" (or 200cm if you're European), 350 lbs (159kg) steroid addicts with 5% body fat. That's why the American version is more dangerous.

Also, pads cut both ways. Kinda like how boxing gloves keep fists from breaking as easily.

Edit: OK! let youtube settle this. First search hit vs. first search hit.

Tough call.

ml

out on bail

Moves
12 Jun 13

Hi Para Guy,

You forgot Bishop bashing!

Leads to some very messy injuries- (so I've been told!)

rc

Moves
12 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I watched a little Rugby on youtube. I think I see the difference.

The players aren't 6' 8" (or 200cm if you're European), 350 lbs (159kg) steroid addicts with 5% body fat. That's why the American version is more dangerous.

Also, pads cut both ways. Kinda like how boxing gloves keep fists from breaking as easily.

Edit: OK! let youtube settle thi ...[text shortened]... .youtube.com/watch?v=lm-dqPjyO_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6POhAbAhE

Tough call.
nah the worst is the unprotected head, especially in the scrum, your ears get mauled to bits not to mention your head occasionally stamped on with metal studs, plus you play on nice manicured pitches, we play sometimes in ice and snow.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Jun 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
nah the worst is the unprotected head, especially in the scrum, your ears get mauled to bits not to mention your head occasionally stamped on with metal studs, plus you play on nice manicured pitches, we play sometimes in ice and snow.
The NFL plays in the ice and snow too. Just ask any team that's played in Green Bay.

U

Moves
12 Jun 13

There's no question rugby is a tough sport but statistically American football has many more injuries. If modern football was played without pads and helmets people would be dying. It's just the rules and mechanics of the game.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Jun 13

Actually, if you like cold playing fields and lots of fights and messed up heads with several missing teeth, then Ice Hockey is your sport.

e4

Moves
12 Jun 13

Just figured it out whilst I was cleaning my tooth this morning.

The Borislav Ivanoc we are seeing is a hologram.
He is not there, he's sitting on his sofa in a Bulgarian bedsit with a
computer infront of him and playing the moves via his hologram.

Phew...Glad I finally figured that one out, it's been bugging me for days.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
13 Jun 13

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2013/06/aiming-to-stop-cheating.html

e

Moves
13 Jun 13

Just figured it out whilst I was cleaning my tooth this morning.

The Borislav Ivanoc we are seeing is a hologram.
He is not there, he's sitting on his sofa in a Bulgarian bedsit with a
computer infront of him and playing the moves via his hologram.

Phew...Glad I finally figured that one out, it's been bugging me for days.
he is powered by tom cruise

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
13 Jun 13

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2013/06/aiming-to-stop-cheating.html
Susan is not telling us much more than we already have in this thread.
Howeverit is interesting that she can just point to the two important facts:

* Ivanov has an improbable high match-up rate.
* No direct evidence (beyond fact 1) for cheating has come forward.

The problem thus is: either we find out about the real source of the high match-up, or we will be constantly in doubt.

My personal opinion: As soon as chess is solved according to game theory, the whole ranking business will begin to become obsolete and it will be the return of the amateur.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 Jun 13

Originally posted by Ponderable

The problem thus is: either we find out about the real source of the high match-up, or ...[text shortened]... e whole ranking business will begin to become obsolete and it will be the return of the amateur.
That may take awhile...we're up to only what, 7 men tablebases now? Still 25 more pieces to go. And of course the possibilities increase exponentially with each piece, so it gets harder and harder with each new added piece.

U

Moves
13 Jun 13

Originally posted by Ponderable

The problem thus is: either we find out about the real source of the high match-up, or ...[text shortened]... e whole ranking business will begin to become obsolete and it will be the return of the amateur.
Well, he is also VERY sporadic with his win/loss record verses various caliber opponents. In one match he will lose to a 1800-1900 opponent, and then the next thing you know he's beating the pants off GM's ranked 500 points above him.