1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    12 Nov '19 11:30
    @john-hadley said
    @Gambiteer - John HADLEY, I asked him by message, but he did not reply.
    also odd state for Birr who seems to play under various States, Grading levels. He is a very strong player though.
    Hope someone can cast some light on two odd circumstances
    Such devious behavior does betray the intended spirit of a site like this one.
    Cheaters likely have underlying issues of insecurity.

I will not allow their weaknesses to have an effect upon me. I just refuse to play them again.

Wish them well and move along.
    Enjoy chess!
  2. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    12 Nov '19 15:19
    Ahem - 'Brrr'. Classic case... Note to admin, it's cold is all.
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    12 Nov '19 15:36
    I'll go further, an undesirable goes from 1200 - 1400 & sky rockets into a 2000 parameter in a matter of weeks, what's that? Divine intervention, by the way I sacked everything apart from a laptop & net connection to be the greatest online chess player?
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Nov '19 15:39
    @jankrb said
    @mikeduq56
    He resigned in 10 games with me. My rating raised from 1990 to 2120.......
    I cannot message him, because he has blocked me.
    Maybe some 5 years ago, I dared to ask him how many engines he used in total, as I could see in an online database 5 different engines.
    I had a similar situation with a player who was higher rated than me- I used the message part of the game to offer a draw to the exact engine he was using. He resigned via timeout, along with another player I was playing from the same country, and my rating jumped way up.

As I pointed out in the internal Misfits Clan forum, chess gravity eventually reasserts itself, and my rating returns to its more normal range.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '19 19:33
    @jankrb
    I am blocked also after I asked him which engine he used. More than a bit suspicious. I suspect someone had figured out just which engine or sets of engines he used and was about to go to admin with it.
  6. Upstate NY
    Moves
    15 Nov '19 18:08
    @gambiteer said
    Very odd -- he resigned 120 games yesterday!
    Apparently active again, with 30-something games in progress.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 06:52
    @academus said
    I want to play humans so they can make mistakes like I do. However there are a few player who use computers to win - I dont know why - because they dont gain anything. I would like to name and shame them. Block their activity. The latest is a played named mcorr. He has not lost a game in over 30 matches at a grade of 1700+ now. I checked his moves, all were top computer choices. We should have a "Cheats list"
    Hi, as people have noted you can set up a game ticket. For open invites you can block particular players so that they cannot see your open invites and cannot challenge you. This doesn't help in tournaments or ladders.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 06:58
    @hells-caretaker said
    Ahem - 'Brrr'. Classic case... Note to admin, it's cold is all.
    I have two games against Brrr. I tend to give open invites in a 1,500 - 1,900 range as the games just aren't meaningful outside that. Annoyingly he seems to have resigned most of his games and started new ones and so could accept my open invites. It's irrelevant whether he's an engine user or not games against 2,200 players are meaningless, I'm simply going to lose without learning anything. He was chatting and mentioned that he has been banned from tournaments so if you think he's using an engine he should be easy to avoid. This might explain the resignations of cenerentola. Possibly the site policy is to ensure that non-engine users can avoid playing people they think are engine users.
  9. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 10:21
    @deepthought said
    I have two games against Brrr. I tend to give open invites in a 1,500 - 1,900 range as the games just aren't meaningful outside that. Annoyingly he seems to have resigned most of his games and started new ones and so could accept my open invites. It's irrelevant whether he's an engine user or not games against 2,200 players are meaningless, I'm simply going to lose wit ...[text shortened]... site policy is to ensure that non-engine users can avoid playing people they think are engine users.
    "I tend to give open invites in a 1,500 - 1,900 range as the games just aren't meaningful outside that."

I believe I understand the intended meaning of that sentence: But, it still sounds a little haughty to me and my humble 1400ish existence. 😀
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Nov '19 15:15
    @wolfe63 said
    "I tend to give open invites in a 1,500 - 1,900 range as the games just aren't meaningful outside that."

I believe I understand the intended meaning of that sentence: But, it still sounds a little haughty to me and my humble 1400ish existence. 😀
    It's fairly arbitrary - I just make it my rating +/- 200. I could make it +/- 300. 2,200 is just too strong for me to present any real threat to an opponent. I can't exploit the types of mistake they make and they're all over the mistakes I don't realize I'm making.
  11. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    12 Dec '19 15:22
    @Aspasia
    Exactly! What happened indeed?
  12. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    12 Dec '19 15:26
    @jankrb
    I messaged him, but got no response. I will not give him the pleasure of a full game with me. I resign if I am paired with him. And yes I know the result of losing points is the same, but I would lose to a machine anyway. Why waste my time?
  13. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    16 Dec '19 16:21
    @rickgarel said
    @jankrb
    I messaged him, but got no response. I will not give him the pleasure of a full game with me. I resign if I am paired with him. And yes I know the result of losing points is the same, but I would lose to a machine anyway. Why waste my time?
    Good point, Rick. I like your style.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Dec '19 21:14
    All I can say is, too many people here take both their egos and those four little digits way, way too seriously.

And that goes both for the engine cheaters, and for the people who are bothered by the engine cheaters. You're both as bad as one another.
  15. Joined
    05 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '19 21:15
    @Aspasia
    I suspect he is dumping games so that his engine-driven record doesnt look too perfect....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree