1. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    26 Dec '19 06:01
    @Shallow-Blue

Have you any recommendations for the best Bach on classical guitar?
  2. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    26 Dec '19 16:581 edit
    @ragwort said

Have you any recommendations for the best Bach on classical guitar?
    I can step in with an assist on this one -- if you don't have it already, "Parkening Plays Bach" is widely regarded as the standard album by which all others in the genre are measured.

I assume you know who Christopher Parkening is, but very briefly for anyone who may be interested, he is the greatest student and protege of Andres Segovia himself.
  3. Mayberry NC
    Moves
    26 Dec '19 17:15
    @zzzzz9200

In the briefest way I know to express it, you may not use ANY source that generates moves for any position, or possible position, in a game that you are playing.

You may use a published reference like an opening theory book, a database of played games, or a textbook on endgames, because they don't generate moves.

If you want to play honorably, don't even allow yourself to be tempted to check any other source, no matter the reason. Heck, I don't even show positions from games in progress to anyone, lest they blurt out an unwanted opinion or suggestion.
  4. RSA
    Moves
    26 Dec '19 21:432 edits
    @shallow-blue said
    And then, I do have the complete works of JSB, as do many people who were buying music in the Bach-year 2000. It comprises 160 CDs. Having 3000 of them would mean owning each work, even the less inspired cantatas, more than 18 times! Now, a less-inspired-for-Bach cantata is still a work of genius that may be worth owning twice, maybe three times, but 18¾ times the ...[text shortened]... on.

But thank you for reminding me that it's time to put up part one of the Weihnachtsoratorium!
    It is all very silly indeed, although it doesn't make me even slightly upset if someone uses a computer against me. I wouldn't know anyway as I almost never check my games with a computer. The ones I do check are less about discovering whether my opponent cheated and more about disabusing myself of my delusions of accuracy in games that I thought I played well. Anyway, I'm not really at the level where many of my opponents would use computers (I think).

I do prefer live chess, either in person or blitz/rapid at another chess website (I play at Lichess). There isn't the same 'thrill' with correspondence, but I enjoy the forums here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree