1. Romania
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:06
    Hello,

I've just come to this site (I heard of it on ICC). I searched the forum, read the FAQ but I could not be clarified if engine usage is allowed in correspondence games here. When I registered, it was a checkbox which said "I agree I won't use engines to assist my play", but does this refer only to the blitz (or live games)? A quick look (with an engine) to the games of the top players here made me wonder if Carlsen or Kasparov play here or engine usage is allowed for correspondence games, as it is the norm nowadays (ICCF, IECG).

Can someone make this clear to me? Thanks!
  2. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:17
    It's not allowed - but that doesn't stop a few of the top players. They usually get banned, though it can take a while.
  3. The Smoke
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:192 edits
    Originally posted by cotoi
    I've just come to this site (I heard of it on ICC). I searched the forum, read the FAQ but I could not be clarified if engine usage is allowed in correspondence games here
    Can someone make this clear to me? Thanks!

3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

p.s.
    I do wonder why people ask if it's allowed to begin with... an interesting mindset, that's like - is the use of steroids allowed in sports?
  4. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:21
    Originally posted by Renars

3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

p.s.
    I do wonder why peopl ...[text shortened]... begin with... an interesting mindset, that's like - is the use of steroids allowed on sports?
    Now RHP is doing drug testing?
    Very good 😕
  5. The Smoke
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:231 edit
    A quick look (with an engine) to the games of the top players here made me wonder if Carlsen or Kasparov play here...
    walking a tight rope here, huh?.... just joined and want to rock the boat already? what's your previous RHP alias 😉 ?
  6. The Smoke
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:24
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    Now RHP is doing drug testing?
    Very good 😕
    read again...
  7. Romania
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:47
    walking a tight rope here, huh?.... just joined and want to rock the boat already? what's your previous RHP alias 😉 ?
    I don't know what you mean. As I told you, I play on ICC and they seem to have a pretty decent policy of enforcing human play. I played on playchess some time ago, but I didn't buy membership there because there were too many engine users.

OK, I see now that engine assistance is not allowed. How is this enforced? Do those who use computers get a (C) at the end of their handle?
  8. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 02:51
    I don't know what you mean. As I told you, I play on ICC and they seem to have a pretty decent policy of enforcing human play. I played on playchess some time ago, but I didn't buy membership there because there were too many engine users.

OK, I see now that engine assistance is not allowed. How is this enforced? Do those who use computers get a (C) at the end of their handle?
    Offenders just get banned from the site - but its rather difficult to come up with damning evidence in CC play, so it often takes a long time, and some are still out there, despite a rather huge amount of evidence against them.
  9. Romania
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 03:062 edits
    I am more confused. Is the rule enforced or not? It can be only "yes" or "no". Partially enforced means "no".

In the past people played CC games which took several years to complete. But, even if they had such a long time to think, they did not played like engines. Even the top corr. players found good moves, but not necessarily optimal moves.
  10. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 03:16
    I am more confused. Is the rule enforced or not? It can be only "yes" or "no". Partially enforced means "no".

In the past people played CC games which took several years to complete. But, even if they had such a long time to think, they did not played like engines. Even the top corr. players found good moves, but not necessarily optimal moves.
    No it's not allowed. Those who are caught cheating get banned.
    Clear enough?
  11. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 03:17
    read again...
    Oh, they just test for steroids here. I'm good 🙂
  12. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 03:32

Yes. The rule is enforced. It may not be enforced to the satisfaction of some, or in the time frame that some desire, but it is enforced.
  13. Romania
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 04:12
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Yes. The rule is enforced. It may not be enforced to the satisfaction of some, or in the time frame that some desire, but it is enforced.

Meaning that the rule is enforced only if all the moves in all your games are the first choice of Rybka? And/or the rule is enforced after 3-4 years? Is there an official position?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 05:33
    The mods wont tell you exactly what they check and what they look for. Fritz, Ryb, are a couple of engines they look for. Part of the problem is the amount of engines out there.
  15. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    28 Mar '10 05:361 edit
    Meaning that since in CC people have a large amount of time at their disposal, it is rather hard to prove that they are using engines, because genuinely good players can have very high match up rates with the moves of engines. From what I understand one move is never enough to warrant a ban; a lot of evidence must be submitted.

The other problem is that there are a huge number of diffenerent engines on the market, and they don't all play the same way, so while a players moves might not match up with rybka, they might match up with fritz or chessmaster, etc.

When or how the mods decide to ban players seems to be very much up to their descretion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree