1. Romania
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 14:22
    I have one last question: if you buy a membership here, do you get more protection against cheaters? Meaning that, if you start a game with a dubious opponent, you receive a message from the staff like "we have some suspicions that your opponent is using an engine. We're not sure yet, but maybe you want to play somebody else".

Or I am dreaming? 🙂
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 14:27
    Originally posted by cotoi
    I have one last question: if you buy a membership here, do you get more protection against cheaters? Meaning that, if you start a game with a dubious opponent, you receive a message from the staff like "we have some suspicions that your opponent is using an engine. We're not sure yet, but maybe you want to play somebody else".

Or I am dreaming? 🙂
    nope. in practice you need to screen your opponents yourself.
  3. Romania
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 19:52
    Originally posted by wormwood
    nope. in practice you need to screen your opponents yourself.
    Great! I guess that the staff is too busy to count the money they make from membership fees 🙂
  4. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 21:18
    Great! I guess that the staff is too busy to count the money they make from membership fees 🙂
    Surely they have minions to do the counting. I think Russ & Chris just spread the cash on the floor and roll around in it while cackling incoherently.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 21:19
    What is your problem?
    You haven't paid for anything so you can't complain.
    You are not good enough to play at the level where the cheaters are so don't worry, your games won't be against cheaters.

They way you ask your questions makes me think you are looking for a website where you can cheat.

And who cares if someone cheats? Move on, be the better person.
    This is internet chess, not a major real life tournament.
  6. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    31 Mar '10 22:531 edit
    I've played 300+ games on this site and only once was I convinced that I was playing a (C)heat. The player was banned soon afterwards. This doesn't say much other than its not all doom & gloom out there.

If I was rated 2200, rather than 1600, my experience might be way different. I think for an average player though, you will have little contact with these sad people.
  7. Romania
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:03
    First of all I'm not complaining, but asking!

My rating is about 2000-2050 ELO and, as I said, I've just been banned from chess.com. I didn't cheat there, I simply asked how come somebody can have Rybka move in all his games and still be found "clean" when investigated for cheating by the staff. It was not just a singular case. On chess.com they have a whole legion of about 1000 users who play consistently like Rybka. Instead of banning them, the staff found it's much cheaper to ban me!

I don't know if my rating is low enough to avoid playing cheaters, I can say that there I had enough games against such "artificial intelligence" users.

I simply want to play chess against humans and I don't cheat. My ICC handle is 'costelus'. You can finger it to see it doesn't have any (C) attached to it 🙂
  8. Romania
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:04
    Originally posted by Tactics and Endgames

And who cares if someone cheats? Move on, be the better person.
    This is internet chess, not a major real life tournament.
    Sure, but who gives me back the time I waste in a game against an engine user?
  9. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:10
    First of all I'm not complaining, but asking!

My rating is about 2000-2050 ELO and, as I said, I've just been banned from chess.com. I didn't cheat there, I simply asked how come somebody can have Rybka move in all his games and still be found "clean" when investigated for cheating by the staff. It was not just a singular case. On chess.com they have a whol ...[text shortened]... e is 'costelus'. You can finger it to see it doesn't have any (C) attached to it 🙂
    Costelus as a rating in the 1700s. Engines here will be 2200+.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:14
    What can I say? It happens. I don't think about it. I just try to play chess and slowly get better.
    At your level you might run into 4 cheaters out of 100 games. No big deal just take it as a compliment. 😉
  11. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:16

I've just been banned from chess.com. I didn't cheat there, I simply asked how come somebody can have Rybka move in all his games and still be found "clean" when investigated for cheating by the staff. It was not just a singular case. On chess.com they have a whole legion of about 1000 users who play consistently like Rybka. Instead of banning them, the staff found it's much cheaper to ban me!

Perhaps because public cheating accusations aren't allowed on chess.com, just like here?
  12. Romania
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:16
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Costelus as a rating in the 1700s. Engines here will be 2200+.
    1700 blitz, 2000 standard, 1400 1-0 bullet (but the last one varies normally by 100-200 points in a day). However, on chess.com I got to play against many cheaters. Explain please!
  13. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:17
    Because chess.com has more cheats than any other site on the net?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:19
    1700 blitz, 2000 standard, 1400 1-0 bullet (but the last one varies normally by 100-200 points in a day). However, on chess.com I got to play against many cheaters. Explain please!
    How do you know they are cheating? because you lose?
  15. Romania
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 00:21
    Originally posted by Tactics and Endgames
    What can I say? It happens. I don't think about it. I just try to play chess and slowly get better.
    At your level you might run into 4 cheaters out of 100 games. No big deal just take it as a compliment. 😉
    About 30% of my games at the beginning were against engine users. After that I carefully selected my opponents. But - it's not my job to run engine analysis and count match-ups and tactical mistakes. That was all the problem: if I didn't do analysis before accepting a game, the number of wasted games was way too high to be ignored. At elast for me and for the time I have now.

I never made public accusations, I just posted games and analysis. It was not my fault if the results showed 100% or close to 100% matchup with Rybka 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree