1. Coventry
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 14:56
    1.d4 in the hands of someone who knows how to play it is a lethal weapon, as is 1.e4 in the hands of a talented or experienced player. Neither of these moves are crap, it depends on who is playing them as to how they turn out.
  2. Gothenburg City! xD
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 14:58

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. over there
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 19:35
    Originally posted by Murad
    d4 has always been better than e4
    Agreed.
  4. USA
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 21:07
    They are both good openings. You would be outright lying if you said d4 is better than e4 or e4 is better than d4. They both have their plusses and minusses, and it's really based on the player's style to find out which one is better. If you like tactical, e4 is probably the best bet. If you like more closed games, d4 is the way to go.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 21:56
    Because:

d4 makes it harder to defend for black because
    after 1......d5 you have moves like
    2.c4 cool queens gambit
    2. e3 good as well
    and after 1...Nf6(which sucks)
    its proved that whites position is a bit better

p.s to DRAGON FIRE (Never??) PROVE IT!!!! BITE ME! uhhhhh
    the queens gambit is not very dangerous at all. 2.e3 is a bad move; there is no need immediately render the c1 bishop passive. 1...Nf6 is the most supple response and can tranpose into virtually any queens pawn opening. If I played 1.d4 against you, it would probably take more moves for me to win than with 1.e4.
  6. London
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 22:451 edit
    The differences between 1. d4 and 1. e4 openings are interesting and subtle. Unfortunately not in a way addressed so far by this thread.

I think the main difference arise in terms of control of the centre. After 1. e4, achieving d4 against any opening reply is easier than achieving e4 is against 1. d4 Nf6. Therfore, opening play is slower and subtler after 1. d4.

Maybe the only opening where after 1. e4, d4 is not so easy to achieve for white is in the Spanish - where to prepare d4 in 'perfect conditions' (ie w c3 and h3) white has to allow the Marshall Gambit. Suddenly in the Marshall white's position looks awkward, open to attack and under-developed; using the extra pawn is a long way off. Another main difference is that against the Sicilian, achieving d4 in the Open Sicilian means a positional compromise from white - one centre pawn versus two black ones.

Therefore, 1. e4 is more aggressive but more risky than 1. d4, because of the Marshall and the Sicilian. 1. d4 f5 - symmetrical to the Sicilian - is far riskier for black, whilst there is no equivalent for black of the Marshall in the most 'Spanish-like' 1. d4 opening, ie the Queen's Gambit Declined. Also, after the logical 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 the aggressive power of the 1. e4 openings that often comes from having a bishop sooner or later on the a2-g8 diaganol cannot really exist.

Btw, from a practical point of view the above is probably just about useless. Specific opening nuance is too well-known for such abstract intricacy to be relevant as one thinks about the concrete options on the board. But I think it's an interesting thing to think about, nonetheless.
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 00:56
    I would post why I the statement "d4 is better" is wrong...but I don't feel any reason to argue with the maker of this thread, who is clearly an idiot.
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 01:09
    1. e4 ... and 1. c4 ... are just as strong as 1. d4 ... . It depends on your style of play as to which move is best for you.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 01:24
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Finally some sense.

1.e4 is slightly overrated by a few players, such as Bobby Fischer, but similar claims for 1.d4 are simply loony.

Ironically, the opening move that assures maximum mobility for white no matter how black responds is 1.e3. Anyone want to claim that is best?
    I've had some success in blitz chess with 1 e3 (which is called Vant Kruy's Opening)
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 01:281 edit
    America's first World Correspondence Champion, IM Hans Berliner, wrote a book a few years back (titled "The System"😉 in which he argues that 1 d4 is a forced win for white.

Back in the 1940's I think it was, Weaver Adams wrote a book called "White to Play and Win" in which he argued that the Vienna Game ( 1 e4 e5 2 Nc3) was a forced win for white.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 03:53
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    America's first World Correspondence Champion, IM Hans Berliner, wrote a book a few years back (titled "The System"😉 in which he argues that 1 d4 is a forced win for white.

Back in the 1940's I think it was, Weaver Adams wrote a book called "White to Play and Win" in which he argued that the Vienna Game ( 1 e4 e5 2 Nc3) was a forced win for white.
    These two players have to be wrong. Maybe with the Latvian Gambit it could be stated as 2. .... f5 and now White can play and win.
  12. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 05:54
    There is no one move that white can play with and win every time. This isn't tic-tac-toe
  13. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 06:28
    OMG guyz it is so easy to make most of you so mad for an stupid opening threads. Anyone who goes like"the maker of this thread is clearly an IDIOT" is an IDIOT like YUGOslav.
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 06:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 07:50
    OMG guyz its so easy to make most of you people got mad for the stupid thread like you YUgoslav - IDIOT
    There is only one person behaving like an idiot at the moment

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree