1. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 03:03
    i wish to submit the following for your comments and consideration.
    any player using anything but their brains in playing should have to declare same so that their opponents know beforehand. any ideas?
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 03:05
    Originally posted by tiggr
    any player using anything but their brains in playing should have to declare same so that their opponents know beforehand. any ideas?
    Go away.
  3. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 03:06
    thank you for your concise and well thought out response. lol
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 03:07
    thank you for your concise and well thought out response. lol
    Anytime.

Shouldn't need to be declared so long as what you do is within TOS. And if it isn't you should be banned.
  5. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 03:11
    maybe you are good enough to not mind playing against a computer program but i'm sure not and i don't think many others would feel good about it either. anyway it's just a thought.
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 03:13
    maybe you are good enough to not mind playing against a computer program but i'm sure not and i don't think many others would feel good about it either. anyway it's just a thought.
    Er, the better you get the more it matters - because it's more likely when you get better.

I don't care if people use, DBs - because I do (see profile), if they use engines though..then there's an issue.

Engines aren't allowed on here - so if somebody were to announce that they used them, they'd get banned.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 03:52
    I use my brain to understand stuff like "doesn't get the cat off the tree".
  8. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 04:31
    i use my hands to play because i can't quite get my telepathy strong enough to push buttons
  9. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 04:32
    Does this include telekinesis, ESP and chicken entrails? If so, count me out.
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 08:26
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    i use my hands to play because i can't quite get my telepathy strong enough to push buttons
    Have you not got the latest Microsoft thought mouse yet>
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 09:48
    This idea might be useful actually.

Please indicate which of the following you use:

a. Opening Books
    b. Databases
    c. Divine Intervention
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 10:17
    As it's part of the rules that you can use db/books (not engines), then you shouldn't have to declare anything.

The only useful application of your site idea would be for friendly, non competitive games, ie: open invites and not clan/siege/tournament. You can't exactly ask Pole Vaulters not to use the pole during the Olympics.

So just write "No DB/Books please" as your game description when you create an open invite.

D
  13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 10:31
    It would not work because cheaters want you to think that they are good. They are not interested in you knowing they use an engine so would never actually disclose it. In my opinion, only honest people would make a truthful declaration and honest people aren't cheating now.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 11:25
    Notice on Olympic Pole Vaulting Sign-Up Sheet
    "Could all Pole Vaulters, who intend on using a Pole to assist their jump, please declare this intention out of respect to the competitors who think they are taking part in the High Jump competition. Thank you."

D
  15. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 11:40
    But using a computer program is cheating, to declare that would mean a ban. I don't really see the problem with people saying that they use databases/books - I couldn't care less. Neither mean a guaranteed win

Books show lines that can be followed and best play for certain openings.
    Databases show moves that others have made, you can follow them for a certain amount of time but eventually you will be left on your own - at that point, how do you know that one move you followed wasn't innaccurate - are you even going to understand the position you've been left in? Players on here won't be as postionally or strategically aware as GM's so to follow their moves blindly won't help you in the long run. In either case, you're more likely to lose a game in the middle/end game - where only your noggin applies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree