1. Joined
    25 Jan '10
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 17:53
    What is the feeling on a player who deliberately loses on timeout to reduce his handicap. Is it poor sportmanship or an acceptable tactic.
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 17:59
    If it's done to gain entry to lower banded tournaments then it's poor sportsmanship.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 18:093 edits
    It's poor sportsmanship. Just yesterday, someone at chess.com let 17 consecutive minutes expire for the timeout loss, when I was one move away from checkmate. There was an automated message saying he/she "may have violated our fair play policy", and that they'd look into it or something, but nothing seems to have been done about it.

If anyone here plays at chess.com, don't play Hawkwinds. He/she is a sore loser.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 20:50
    Originally posted by danger dave
    What is the feeling on a player who deliberately loses on timeout to reduce his handicap. Is it poor sportmanship or an acceptable tactic.
    There's been lots of discussion on this topic in the other forums.
    There's quite a few players on here who lose deliberately for one reason or another by timeout or resigning(usually clan related).
    They're commonly known as sandbaggers.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 02:56
    Originally posted by venda
    There's been lots of discussion on this topic in the other forums.
    There's quite a few players on here who lose deliberately for one reason or another by timeout or resigning(usually clan related).
    They're commonly known as sandbaggers.
    Maybe it is also known as psychology. 😏
  6. Joined
    16 Nov '07
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 03:15
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 09:514 edits
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    If it's done to gain entry to lower banded tournaments then it's poor sportsmanship.
    Hang on a minute. Some time back I suggested that not resigning in certain positions and for certain reasons was unsporting.

I also suggested that clicking skulls automatically was poor form and even cited RHPs own encouragement to use them sensitively.

In both cases I was told by numerous posters that anything within the rules is acceptable. I disagreed with this, but the same comment was made repeatedly.

So I hope I won't see any of those posters here arguing that losing to enter a lower banded tournament is unsporting, unless there is a rule which says you are not allowed to lose deliberately.

I will be checking.

P.S. thaughbaer is in the clear, by the way

🙂
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    01 Dec '12 11:02
    How do you know he's not ill, and has not been able to move? How do you know he has DELIBERATLEY lost on timeout to reduce his handicap? If he's handicapped, he's certainly not in mode to play in super mode in all of his games. Grow up!

Another piece of negative thought. Love your pyschological expertise RJ - YOU should be the next Jung.

Or should that be Dung? Cow dung?

-m. 😏
  9. Joined
    25 Jan '10
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 09:51
    You only have to look at the graph of his results, suddenly from being a good handicap player match after match is lost by timeout or unjustified resignations, until hey presto he wins match after match to regain his high handicap, and then the whole process is repeated.
    Just look at 'jais'.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 12:38
    You only have to look at the graph of his results, suddenly from being a good handicap player match after match is lost by timeout or unjustified resignations, until hey presto he wins match after match to regain his high handicap, and then the whole process is repeated.
    Just look at 'jais'.
    User 178166
    I see nothing remarkable about this guy's graph, there are many similar on RHP. He obviously plays with short time controls, which means he has a high number of both wins and losses by timeout, but that's what I'd expect if you play 1/0 and don't visit the site every day of your life. His current rating doesn't move all that far away from his average rating.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 13:23
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    User 178166
    I see nothing remarkable about this guy's graph, there are many similar on RHP. He obviously plays with short time controls, which means he has a high number of both wins and losses by timeout, but that's what I'd expect if you play 1/0 and don't visit the site every day of your life. His current rating doesn't move all that far away from his average rating.
    whyat about this user User 414762
  12. Joined
    25 Jan '10
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 14:46
    Ok, don't look at the graph but at the individual games and then draw your conclusion.
    If you choose to play 1 day per move and no timebank it is surely because you are free to visit the site at least every day.
  13. Joined
    25 Jan '10
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 14:46
    Another fine example of what I am saying.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 17:091 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    whyat about this user User 414762
    User 414762[/b]

Losses by timeout : 1362 (55.50)

😲
  15. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Dec '12 17:25
    Originally posted by vivify
    It's poor sportsmanship. Just yesterday, someone at chess.com let 17 consecutive minutes expire for the timeout loss, when I was one move away from checkmate. There was an automated message saying he/she "may have violated our fair play policy", and that they'd look into it or something, but nothing seems to have been done about it.

If anyone here plays at chess.com, don't play Hawkwinds. He/she is a sore loser.
    Obviously they don't do anything about it unless someone does it a lot. You only know he did it once.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree