1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 04:23
    Do people here normally get challanges without so much as a hi or g'day mate? I have gotten a number of those and some were due to the person being in a country where he had little english which seems ok to me but what about when they can speak english and refuse to answer a hello or even a PM, do you guys delete the game?
  2. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 04:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Do people here normally get challanges without so much as a hi or g'day mate? I have gotten a number of those and some were due to the person being in a country where he had little english which seems ok to me but what about when they can speak english and refuse to answer a hello or even a PM, do you guys delete the game?
    Never have, Thinking about it though as one way to filter my games, I have enough going on now, and would prefer to play only friendly people
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 05:46
    If people challange me - I accept or reject of other reasons than just their politeness.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 05:541 edit
    I don't reject a challenge because someone hasn't said "Hi." However, I know others do. I sent a challenge to XanthosNZ without PMing him first. The result: he put me on his ignore list, deleted my game, and reprimanded me on proper manners. I didn't know this was standard procedure at the time. I always say "Hi" after the game starts, but not before.
  5. Standard memberDraxus
    Mr. Bombastic
    Ogden, Ut
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 07:20
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I don't reject a challenge because someone hasn't said "Hi." However, I know others do. I sent a challenge to XanthosNZ without PMing him first. The result: he put me on his ignore list, deleted my game, and reprimanded me on proper manners. I didn't know this was standard procedure at the time. I always say "Hi" after the game starts, but not before.
    That is because he has a stick up his butt...

Perhaps though there should be a manners FAQ that would help new players know how to challenge?
  6. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 08:43
    I get these and i do the same if the person doesnt reply to my hello or doesnt say hello then i delete aswell
  7. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 09:02
    Jesus, dude, do you even speak English?

I'll give them a hi if they are playing white, but if I'm playing white I usually just click the move button. Afterwards I'm like 'bloody hell, I'll do it on the next move,' and that starts and endless cycle oof 'bllody hells'.
  8. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 09:03
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    That's because Xanthos is a douche bag.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 10:49
    I accept them, why not. but it is a little weird that some people don't answer to any questions or comments in any way. I don't know why, but maybe they're just shy. I can imagine that someone could just have incredible problems talking to strangers. even if they spoke english, but especially if they were really bad at it.

I certainly wouldn't put them on ignore-list, and I find this 'PM me for a permission first or I'll delete!' thing quite silly. it's not even a challenge anymore if you ask for a permission first, is it? it's bureaucracy.

If I have all the games I need, I'll put a limit for my gameload. if I feel I don't want to accept one, I'll just delete, and maybe PM something to explain. even "sorry, just don't feel like accepting challenges now."
  10. Joined
    04 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '06 11:37
    I know a guy who thinks it beneath his dignity to speak to his own countrymen.
    I have tried to strike up conversations with him a few occasions during the game, but he never replies. And oh yes, he does know English very well. I played against him twice and won as many times.
    There was one more player from my own country who after asking me everything about me,my antecendents refused to talk about himself!
    I did not play him again.
    Thanks,
    Phani
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 16:07

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 16:17
    Random challenges are typically unwanted games (tournaments + clans = lots of games). Thus, if there is no PM or something interesting in the game title, I click the trash can.
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 16:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 16:46
    I could not care less if they say hi or not.

I am here to (try to 😉 ) play chess not to chat. Normally when they talk to me i will talk back but i do not care if they never say a word to me at all.
  15. Brasilia, Brazil
    Moves
    19 Apr '06 19:08
    I usually use the Open Invites, instead of randomly challenging anyone. But sometimes I do that. I never said 'hi' first or anything, but my games never got deleted. People never said hi to me either. Maybe because they think I don't speak English.

Anyway, I'll keep that in mind the next time I challenge someone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree