1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 22:46
    I found that as a novice (comparatively), most of my games reach a conclusion, be it win, or loss. I have noticed, however, many of the games that GM's play end in a draw. . .How many games do you draw ?
    I'm just wondering at what stage inthe game do you decide to work towards a draw instead of a win ? I have found my draw rate has increased as i get better.
  2. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 23:08
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I found that as a novice (comparatively), most of my games reach a conclusion, be it win, or loss. I have noticed, however, many of the games that GM's play end in a draw. . .How many games do you draw ?
    I'm just wondering at what stage inthe game do you decide to work towards a draw instead of a win ? I have found my draw rate has increased as i get better.
    i rarely accept a draw (i tend to see it as a sign of weakness from my opponent to offer one - but i have been proven wrong) and never work towards one - but then i am only 1350-1400 ish
  3. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 23:56
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    In 2 tournaments earlier this year which consisted of 14 total games, I drew 8.
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 00:24
    I've just drawn another game, and have one draw refused that i know is going to end that way, I find it is the best result for games where i am a bishop or knight down.
    I know i have only 19 draws, but i have had maybe 3 in the past 20 games which considering i have played 450 games, that is a veritable flood.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 00:46
    FICS -- Shinidoki's Standard Rating:

Won: 1519
    Lost: 1656
    Drew: 161

(total:- 3336)

My rating is around 1600-1700 90% of the time.

RHP --

Won: 62
    Lost: 46
    Drew: 10

So....draw's are rare at my level🙁
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 06:42
    I'm a low 1300 ish player and draws are really rare at my level. I'd have no idea how to work towards a draw except for trading everything off.

Another reason is that there are so many blunders, once your opponent blunders away a piece you probably have sufficient power to force a win. Last reason, players at my level don't want to draw, they want to win. I had a game were I was up a rook, but by pushing too far I allowed a perpetual check, instead of taking it and drawing (I even offered the draw in advance to end a bit quicker) he decided to do something else and try to get the win.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 07:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leölés ellenfeleim
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 08:02
    When evenly matched opponents play "correctly," the games seldom have any content and frequently end in draws
    Emanuel Lasker
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 08:20
    This is one game that a draw saved me from a sure loss.
    Game 2083605
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 08:41
    I'm a mid 1500's player, and I have 134 wins, 93 losses and 12 draws.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 08:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm a mid 1500's player, and I have 134 wins, 93 losses and 12 draws.
    I'm mid 1400 (peeked once at 1598) and have 114, wins, 53 losses and 6 draws.

There is certainly a correlation between rating and percentage draws.
    When I'm getting better I'll have more draws relatively.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 08:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leölés ellenfeleim
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 09:22
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    I have a new friend. How are you, having a good day?
    Pretty good, thanks, 7ate9 !
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 09:421 edit
    Won 216
    Lost 26
    Draw 37 (13.26% )

More draws than losses tells you something.

Take a draw if:
    1. In an equal position any attempt to win will weaken your position and improve your opponents prospects (this can happen reasonally early in the game and you may still be in book);
    2. You are worse but have counterplay giving chances of a perpetual, material win is your opponent does not play a forced move or a repetition then take it;
    3. You are slightly worse against a weaker player who probably does not know how to win - offer it; or
    4. You are in a technically drawn end game (eg K & 2N v K).

If you are much worse and have no drawing chances offering a draw mis, in my opinion, just rude.
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    10 Oct '06 13:57
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Won 216
    Lost 26
    Draw 37 (13.26% )

More draws than losses tells you something.

Take a draw if:
    1. In an equal position any attempt to win will weaken your position and improve your opponents prospects (this can happen reasonally early in the game and you may still be in book);
    2. You are worse but have counterplay giving chances of a perpetual, ...[text shortened]... If you are much worse and have no drawing chances offering a draw mis, in my opinion, just rude.
    I've been in a lot of technically drawn endgames lately. I have blundered 2 of them away due to blitzing the move as soon as the page loads.... =( I have also swindled a few people lately turning sure losses into draws. My favorite was in a recent OTB. My catalan went horibly wrong and I dropped the exchange on move 20. His 2 rooks opened up and decimated my position. However, in the ensuing checks, my king "wandered" to g6 where his pawns protected me for a turn. My excellent knight on d6 and rook on c7 forced a perpetual. Anyhow, if a higher rated player offers in a technically drawn position, I take it. If they are more than 100 points below me, I make them prove the draw.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree