Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 27 Jan '08 13:56
    Which do you prefer out of these? Just interested to see, e4 is the best move but c4 is the best chance for a win, apparently.
    So you d4 players take a hike.
  2. 27 Jan '08 14:00
    I have played each for a serious amount of time (at least 6 months) and I like c4 the best, but I score best with e4. d4 gets me into positions that I just don't like a lot of the time (ones which c4 avoids). e4 is much better scoring because I don't typically give up draws/losses to lower rated players since I have the initiative more often and they rarely defend well.
  3. 27 Jan '08 14:50
    My views: first the most simple to me.

    d4
    d4 is to me a move with which it is hard to go wrong, but positions frequently end up in a stalemate, and are often incredibly repetitive. I still play it sometimes though to fire a broadside into the opponent's preparation.

    c4
    c4 is a very good move, I know. But it is complicated and tough to learn and at my level I am unsure about whether to play it or not.

    e4
    e4 leads to plenty of different positions. I also used to play the King's Gambit, where as now the Lopez, Scotch and Piano are great.
    But it lacks fundamental madness, and fun is an important part of chess, I think.
  4. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    27 Jan '08 15:07 / 1 edit
    1.e4 small wave surfers. lots of little tactical stings, like a million mosquitoes attacking you. but still, malaria mosquitoes kill more people every year than anything else.

    1.d4 big wave surfers. at first there's nothing to be seen. the surface looks calm. but the wave is building up far from the shore, slowly but unstoppably, building, building... until it crashes in and blows your kindom into oblivion.

    1.c4 I have never understood these guys. it looks ugly to me, but clearly it works.

    1.f4 my current favourite. it's not d4, but it's okay. and at this point I almost always know the positions better than my opponents. I get good, active positions, and the opponents almost invariably overestimate the weakness of my king. it's not weak, it's active. I get to play the same moves against almost anything. as a plus, there's almost no established theory in the lines I get 99% of the time, and only a handful of db games.

    the downside is that black gets lots of natural moves. but hey, I'm not really hoping black just stumbles and throws the game.
  5. 27 Jan '08 15:19
    I disagree. e4 is a powerful weapon, I'll find a blitz I saw on here, hold on...
  6. 27 Jan '08 15:20
    Here we are.

    [Event "RHP Blitz rated"]
    [Site "www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2007.12.13"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "mjolnir"]
    [Black "sathyam"]
    [Result "1-0"]

    1. e2-e4 e7-e5 2. Ng1-f3 h7-h6 3. Nf3xe5 f7-f6 4. Qd1-h5 Ke8-e7 5. Ne5-g6 Ke7-e6 6. Qh5-d5 1-0
  7. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    27 Jan '08 15:27
    Originally posted by ares3
    Here we are.

    [Event "RHP Blitz rated"]
    [Site "www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2007.12.13"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "mjolnir"]
    [Black "sathyam"]
    [Result "1-0"]

    1. e2-e4 e7-e5 2. Ng1-f3 h7-h6 3. Nf3xe5 f7-f6 4. Qd1-h5 Ke8-e7 5. Ne5-g6 Ke7-e6 6. Qh5-d5 1-0
    that's one of the worst games I've ever seen.
  8. 27 Jan '08 15:46
    Originally posted by wormwood
    that's one of the worst games I've ever seen.
    If this proves that 1.e4 is a dangerous weapon, then so is 1.e3. Against black's play, 1.e3 would give excactly the same game.
  9. 27 Jan '08 15:59
    Originally posted by wormwood
    that's one of the worst games I've ever seen.
    Worst? For White or Black? One side must have done well...
  10. 27 Jan '08 16:00
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    If this proves that 1.e4 is a dangerous weapon, then so is 1.e3. Against black's play, 1.e3 would give excactly the same game.
    Well, true. It was an example of how e4 can deviate into plenty of different variations and attacks.
    Mephisto, I'd be interested to see where you stand. Would you say that it is more how they are followed up, or do you prefer one?
  11. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    27 Jan '08 16:18
    Originally posted by ares3
    Well, true. It was an example of how e4 can deviate into plenty of different variations and attacks.
    no it wasn't. it was a lesson for a rank beginner of what happens when you move f-pawn without covering against Qh5+.

    if the game would've gone on for longer, it could've also been a lesson of what happens when you drop material on move 2 without compensation.
  12. 27 Jan '08 16:29
    Originally posted by wormwood
    no it wasn't. it was a lesson for a rank beginner of what happens when you move f-pawn without covering against Qh5+.

    if the game would've gone on for longer, it could've also been a lesson of what happens when you drop material on move 2 without compensation.
    You don't understand what I was getting at. The Qh5+ itself is something that you can use with e4. As is Bxf7+ sacrifices and many others.

    What do you prefer then?
  13. 27 Jan '08 17:36
    I prefer e4.
    There are so many possibilities for it to transpose into depending upon the opponent's reply.
  14. 27 Jan '08 22:02 / 1 edit
    I play c4 right now because it fits in well with my Sicilian. However, I haven't gotten deep enough into the others to be able to make an honest comparison. I know most of the basic ideas in the major 1. e4 and 1. d4 openings and can play quite a few book moves just by understanding. I've actually played both for several months, but the more subtle nuances are probably not yet visible for me.
  15. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    27 Jan '08 23:42
    Originally posted by ares3
    Which do you prefer out of these? Just interested to see, e4 is the best move but c4 is the best chance for a win, apparently.
    So you d4 players take a hike.
    None of those. 1. Nf3. Keep your options open.