1. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 23:38
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    It helps with white too, especially in CC. If I know my opponent, then I can basically choose which lines I want to go into by choosing between 1.e4 or 1.d4 - or even something else if I think I can still win.
    Yeah definitely... I need to play with 1.d4 more. You heard it from the source, if you play me, 1.d4 is the opening I have least experience against. 😀
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '08 00:07
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    I think they are all different games. It comes down to personal preference which is exactly what CMS was getting at.

However, you have to know your opponent in order to know which opening will be most effective against that opponent in the next game... because everyone has their own style.

I do think it is wise to be well versed in the main lines o ...[text shortened]... ch one, one-by-one until you get a good idea of how those moves influences the rest of the game.
    I agree with you. It's to every chess player's benefit to have at least a basic knowledge of how to play all those openings moves. It may seem like you'll never use the knowledge but ideas are surprisingly transferable.
  3. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '08 03:22
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I'm not usually so blunt, but that's just stupid. White's half move advantage is often best realized through attack. There are numerous position when kingisde attack is THE RIGHT IDEA and sometimes the only one. Many e4 openings bring positions in which this is the case. I already mentioned some.
    No!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree