en passant

en passant

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
08 Mar 07

what happens if i want to take a pawn en passant but there is another of his men there where i would land?

SS

Moves
08 Mar 07

a

Moves
08 Mar 07

I do not think that initial pawn move would be legal, please correct me should I be wrong...wouldn't the opponents pawn have to "jump" one of his own men?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
08 Mar 07

Originally posted by tiggr
what happens if i want to take a pawn en passant but there is another of his men there where i would land?
You can only take en passant at the moment the pawn moves 2 spaces forward. If you decline then you can never do it again with that pawn.

When the pawn moves 2 spaces forward you have two choices.

1.Take the pawn en passant.

2. Do something else but you can never take that pawn en passant again.

Thus to answer your question, There would never be another of his men there where you would land.

Moves
08 Mar 07

en passant requires a two-square move so there is no way a piece could be on the square that you land...do you have an example of this?

t

Moves
08 Mar 07

Originally posted by 93confirmed
en passant requires a two-square move so there is no way a piece could be on the square that you land...do you have an example of this?
if black moves his knight to f6, i move my pawn to e4 then he moves his kings pawn to e5. i'v never used en passant so i am really trying to learn. p.s. thanks for the guidance.

O

Moves
08 Mar 07

if black moves his knight to f6, i move my pawn to e4 then he moves his kings pawn to e5. i'v never used en passant so i am really trying to learn. p.s. thanks for the guidance.
This would not be a situation in which you can capture en passant. En passant works as in the following example:

You are white, and have a pawn on e5. Black has a pawn on d7. Black moves his pawn to d5, in an attempt to 'sneak by' without give your e5 pawn the chance to capture. On your first opportunity (i.e., the very next move), you have the option of capturing that pawn on d6, as though it had only moved one square.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
08 Mar 07

if white has a pawn on e5 and black moves his pawn d7 to d5 then white can take that pawn with e5xd6 using the en-passant rule (because the black pawn passed a square under attack by the opposing pawn).

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
08 Mar 07

LOL wow, we both unknowingly gave the same example! 🙄

t

Moves
08 Mar 07

Originally posted by ChessJester
if white has a pawn on e5 and black moves his pawn d7 to d5 then white can take that pawn with e5xd6 using the en-passant rule (because the black pawn passed a square under attack by the opposing pawn).
thanks for the advice to both of you. this forum is a breath of fresh air after trying to read some of the others.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
08 Mar 07

http://www.timeforchess.com/help/index.php?help=enpassant

D

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
08 Mar 07

Originally posted by ChessJester
LOL wow, we both unknowingly gave the same example! 🙄
he put his up 6 minutes before you...
so you either copied him, or you are really, REALLY slow at typing a simple en passant example...

m

Richmond Hill

Moves
08 Mar 07

That's impossible.

AB

Moves
08 Mar 07

Originally posted by rubberjaw30
he put his up 6 minutes before you...
so you either copied him, or you are really, REALLY slow at typing a simple en passant example...
Or he read the thread (last post) 6 minutes later.

Get over yourself.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
09 Mar 07

Here's an en passant situation from an actual game:

White threatens checkmate with the queen and bishop battery bearing down on h7, and the other bishop covering f8. To stop the checkmate, black played

18...f5

White replied with the en passant capture 19.exf7,
renewing the checkmate threat.

The game finished 19...Kf7 20.Qxh7+ Kf6 21.Qg7#

Hope this helps.

You also might look at http://www.rockfordchess.org/instruction/minilessons/EnPassant.PDF (Probably the most useful single page I've seen on the subject.)