1. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 01:25
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Because admin decide so.

People previously banned have been openly welcomed back under new names.

TOS violations happen all too often and the wrondoers get off with it, making the TOS a bit of joke.
    I've always thought the way this was handled was more or less OK. As far as I know, multiple accounts were only allowed when they were consecutive, i.e. when activity in one account ceased before the second account was active, and, even then, only on a case by case basis. Maybe others disagree, but I'm OK with this.

In general, multiple active accounts seem to have been banned quickly, especially in cases where they were playing each other (which is really the worst offense, IMO).

I don't have a lot of data in cases where this happened and no one noticed until much later though. I wouldn't be inclined to be very sympathetic, if it were up to me, though.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 01:32
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Because admin decide so.

People previously banned have been openly welcomed back under new names.

TOS violations happen all too often and the wrondoers get off with it, making the TOS a bit of joke.
    Usually, however, the user is not forgiven if they played 'games' with one account vs. another.
  3. Joined
    14 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 19:00
    Maybe I should start another thread. I recently replied to a message thanking a fellow member for their contribution to this community, and I pointed out that I was willing to subscribe to RHP once more, due to contributors like this person.

I'm not sure if I'm glad I didn't click on submit, or not... I'm still deciding. But why does RHP pawn continue to moderate and police, to the deterement of the paid subscribers, who are undoubtedly the biggest contributors.

Not that they should call the shots either... IMHO, the moderators\owners\admins have got things way wrong. How about a few free subs for the people that constructively contribute to RHP, as oppossed to the tits that hound out our best assets like FL, Korch etc - Granted the quoted users had other issues but I think the forums and the management of such also contributed.

my two cents..... maybe three!
  4. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 19:49
    Good post.

Fat Lady's removed evidence of a double account was pretty strong.

Most who saw it suspected it was going to get pulled so copied it and
    PM'd it to themselves. It has since been going around RHP.

I believe it and I think the lad should come clean to Russ and admit it.

The old account has lay dormant for 540 days but they did play each other.

Game Created Jul 26 2008 11:13

Game Ended Jul 26 2008 11:21

The game lasted 8 minutes.

The two accounts played each other again - 18 minute, 40+ moves.
    The lad missed a mate in one against himself 🙂

Now they can ban him, big deal, the site losses a subscriber.....he comes back again.

Or rap his knuckles because what harm has he really done?
    Two years ago he gained a few poxy points.

My solution is to lift Fat Lady's ban.

Ban the double account holder for a month - take off 100 grading ponts (if they can)
    and we can all get back to being one big happy family again.
  5. Standard membertheonecolin
    Theonecolin
    London
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 20:15
    I have to agree with others , that if Fat Lady is pointing out other have clearly broken the rules it seems harsh he has been banned from the forums for a month - Greenpawn i like your diplomacy - but i have a better idea - make Fat Lady one of the esteemed few - a moderator - his posts are always helpful and seem to support what makes RHP a great site for both chess and chat
  6. Forum Moderator
    21 Feb '10 20:20
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Good post.

Fat Lady's removed evidence of a double account was pretty strong.

Most who saw it suspected it was going to get pulled so copied it and
    PM'd it to themselves. It has since been going around RHP.

I believe it and I think the lad should come clean to Russ and admit it.

The old account has lay dormant for 540 days but they did pla ...[text shortened]... 00 grading ponts (if they can)
    and we can all get back to being one big happy family again.
    People seem to think we have ill will against some users or something, that isn't true. I would gladly do what you suggest, really, I would gladly lift the ban, but the thing is, there are guidelines, they have been set by the admins and they must be followed. We don't want to loose important members, their contributions are vital to us, and we want to encourage them to post, but we also don't want to be accused of dual standards. We can't just close our eyes because someone is a good member or because someone has identified many violations of the TOS - that would be corruption. The guidelines are there, and we try to follow them as flexibly as possible, but we can't close our eyes every time some user posts. I repeat: I would gladly lift the ban, but that decision would have to come from the admins, so if you are unhappy please send feedback. If you simply don't agree with the TOS then you can start a post in the ideas forum giving your suggestions. We are open to all suggestions and changes as long as they are coherent. Thank you.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 20:373 edits
    Originally posted by Forum Moderator
    People seem to think we have ill will against some users or something, that isn't true. I would gladly do what you suggest, really, I would gladly lift the ban, but the thing is, there are guidelines, they have been set by the admins and they must be followed. We don't want to loose important members, their contributions are vital to us, and we want tions. We are open to all suggestions and changes as long as they are coherent. Thank you.
    is having a duel account a breach of the terms of service? If so why has the offending person not been disciplined , in the same manner that discipline was immediately meted out to Fat Lady? immediately? How you speak of dual standards in this context is quite incredible, please explain. Its like greenpawn has said, no one wants to see anyone removed from the community, but neither do we like to have our sense of justice incensed!
  8. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 20:44
    Post in Site Ideas?

That is a black hole where ideas and request simply disappear.

FL posted against TOS out of sheer frustration. It's the only way to get things done.

I can't speak for him nor do I know his mind but Iwould not be surprised if
    what was going on beween him and Nowak was fall out from a much bigger
    fish who should have been pulled out of the Water a long time ago.

We get no feed back from FPT's no feed back from site ideas.

Most shrug their shoulders and move on.
    Some leave Korch, HeinzKat.....
    Some fight. Fat Lady. (bless him)
    Some try and keep it all together.....me & Robbie.
    (I don't want any enemies I have chess books to sell. 😉

Put me down for Fat Lady as a mod as well.

Surely if enough of us want FL as a mod on the Chess Forum then why cannot
    it be so.

And undo his ban - deleting the thread was enough.
  9. Forum Moderator
    21 Feb '10 22:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    is having a duel account a breach of the terms of service? If so why has the offending person not been disciplined , in the same manner that discipline was immediately meted out to Fat Lady? immediately? How you speak of dual standards in this context is quite incredible, please explain. Its like greenpawn has said, no one wants to see anyone removed from the community, but neither do we like to have our sense of justice incensed!
    Look robbie, I have no clue why nothing has been done by the admins on this issue, believe me, we want something to be done just as much as you do. We also understand why FL broke the terms, and we also wish we didn't have to block him. Regarding dual standards I was of course referring to the forum moderators only, we have nothing to say regarding anything else.

There is nothing else to be said on this topic, so for anything else let me direct you to phlabibits post on the 3rd page. Thank you.
  10. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 22:16
    Is that you Fat Lady?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 22:35
    Look robbie, I have no clue why nothing has been done by the admins on this issue, believe me, we want something to be done just as much as you do. We also understand why FL broke the terms, and we also wish we didn't have to block him. Regarding dual standards I was of course referring to the forum moderators only, we have nothing to say regarding a ...[text shortened]... is topic, so for anything else let me direct you to phlabibits post on the 3rd page. Thank you.
    Hey relax my friend, we know that you are at the forefront and these issues are not settled by you. Actually i am really glad that you took the time to post in the forum, despite the obvious prickly reception that you may have received. You see Fat Lady was loved on the forum, his posts were insightful and his experience on a par with the best here. It must be difficult for you guys, clearly, but what can we do, the forum is the only place where our views can be aired and our peers can judge them on their merits, otherwise we are voiceless. Imagine how frustrated you would be if you had something of import to say but no way to express it?
  12. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 22:48
    If anyone knows the Fat Lady - please pass on that I too would like to see him back. The forum ban is temporary anyway no? Let it cool, then come on back please.
  13. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 22:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Hey relax my friend, we know that you are at the forefront and these issues are not settled by you. Actually i am really glad that you took the time to post in the forum, despite the obvious prickly reception that you may have received. You see Fat Lady was loved on the forum, his posts were insightful and his experience on a par with the best here ...[text shortened]... gine how frustrated you would be if you had something of import to say but no way to express it?
    Good point well made. Also, I agree it would a great shame to lose FL, a member with a nose for duplicity and unexplained anomalies, while the less honest members continue unimpaired.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '10 22:54
    People seem to think we have ill will against some users or something, that isn't true. I would gladly do what you suggest, really, I would gladly lift the ban, but the thing is, there are guidelines, they have been set by the admins and they must be followed. We don't want to loose important members, their contributions are vital to us, and we want ...[text shortened]... tions. We are open to all suggestions and changes as long as they are coherent. Thank you.
    It's not corruption, It's politics. The TOS is made for the benefit of the site's population right? If a user bends the rules for a greater benefit or contributes to the site then it makes sense the rules bend a little for them, just a little mind you. It will also quell the masses, whereas implying the rules strictly on others will go unnoticed since nobody will care. In other words, get off your impartial white horse and start making the right decisions.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    22 Feb '10 01:17
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It's not corruption, It's politics. The TOS is made for the benefit of the site's population right? If a user bends the rules for a greater benefit or contributes to the site then it makes sense the rules bend a little for them, just a little mind you. It will also quell the masses, whereas implying the rules strictly on others will go unnoticed since nobo ...[text shortened]... are. In other words, get off your impartial white horse and start making the right decisions.
    Is it the mod's place to make that decision?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree