1. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    17 May '07 21:14
    That was my prefered opening for a while before I quit playing. I still bring the knights forward like I'm working that opening, but I forgot how it goes after I place the two knights.

Does anyone know how it's supposed to go? Is it popular for anyone else?

I like it because the knights can guard multiple pawns easily, and are pretty mobile.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 21:37
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Knights_Game
  3. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    17 May '07 21:461 edit
    Okey Dokey Dukey. What's your opinion of it? According to Wiki, it's pretty popular.
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:08
    I don't have time to go through your games but you could do with few set of chess books on :-

- the opening (there are more openings than 2/4 knights)
    - the middlegame
    - the endgame

See Thread 67041
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:38
    Originally posted by Daphnes
    That was my prefered opening for a while before I quit playing. I still bring the knights forward like I'm working that opening, but I forgot how it goes after I place the two knights.

I like it because the knights can guard multiple pawns easily, and are pretty mobile.
    This is the 4 Knights Game 2868884.

It is a particular defense not any old game where the 4 Knights are bought out. It is solid and reliable but in my opinion rather boring and drawish so best avoided by white.
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:48
    isnt this the morras gambit???
  7. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:51
    Why did black resign? The king could have moved towards the white square bishop. Not that it really matters now.
  8. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:56

Yawn.

That's my considered opinion.
  9. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    17 May '07 22:58
    Why did black resign? The king could have moved towards the white square bishop. Not that it really matters now.
    The king is in check, if the knight is captured he gets mated; if he doesn't capture the knight he loses the queen.
  10. Standard memberDaphnes
    Rusty Veteran
    My happy place
    Moves
    17 May '07 23:03
    Alright. I had a guy resign on me because I grabbed his queen soon into the game.

FKD may not be the most exciting opening for you, and that's fine. I'm not big on memorizing moves and stuff, so I have little opinion on moves in general.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 23:15
    I use the 4. g3 Four Knights against e5. It's not as open and tactical as some other double king's pawn games and is sort of similar to the Closed Sicilian in its plans.
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    18 May '07 07:35
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    isnt this the morras gambit???
    I am getting careless. That was a Morra Gambit.

This is the 4 Knights Game 3250671
  13. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 May '07 08:111 edit
    Talking about the four nights defence (I assume you don't mean the four nights in the english...). A year ago I was experimenting some with the petroff (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6) I found it to be extremely common among lower rated players to stear the game into the four nights by playing 3.Nc3 Nc6
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    18 May '07 08:43
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    Talking about the four nights defence (I assume you don't mean the four nights in the english...). A year ago I was experimenting some with the petroff (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6) I found it to be extremely common among lower rated players to stear the game into the four nights by playing 3.Nc3 Nc6
    English, 4 Knights is a different defense.

Thats the point I was trying to make which is why I posted a 4 Knights game (well got the reference wrong and posted a Morra gambit actually) - lots of people seem to assume the 4 Knights is any game where the 4 Knights are bought out which, of course, is not the case.

I assume we are talking about the 4 Knights solely.
  15. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 May '07 08:51
    So now we are talking about things like the scotsh four nights, the spannish four nights and the four nights rubinstein variation wich is the main line. (Pretty boring in cc but works fine in blitz...😛).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree