1. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    11 Jun '20 21:26
    Try to also play the exchange variation with a view to getting active pieces as black and pressure against any weak central pawns.

Here is a Korchnoi game. The French isn't as popular at the highest levels these days.

2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    13 Jun '20 19:05
    @venda said
    I didn't mean that.
    What I am saying is if I've watched the video on how to mate with 2 bishops for example, if it comes up in my game I can't remeber what to do.
    Two bishops isn't too hard assuming you've more than about a minute on your clock. Bishop and knight vs a lone king is the hard one. For the over forties more general statements are more use, specific tactics aren't going to stick without significant amounts of repetition, so with the example of minimum material checkmates you'd need to play it out against an engine once a week to remind yourself.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    14 Jun '20 12:55
    @deepthought said
    Two bishops isn't too hard assuming you've more than about a minute on your clock. Bishop and knight vs a lone king is the hard one. For the over forties more general statements are more use, specific tactics aren't going to stick without significant amounts of repetition, so with the example of minimum material checkmates you'd need to play it out against an engine once a week to remind yourself.
    Exactly.
    My memory is just not good enough to remember specific tactics.
    I have to rely on what "looks" right

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree