1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 12:43
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Why couldn't you link RHP on your profile page ?
    No desire?
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 12:461 edit
    I'm zebano over there as well. I timed out most of my games about a year ago and will only play the games that come up for the tournament I'm in.

This site is much better if only because of the customizable board/set.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 14:08
    Well, I do not know why you are at gameknot..... Only site that can be compared to RHP is chess.com. So if you have two main chess sites I would definetly change gameknot.com with chess.com. CC there works just fine + you can play unlimited number of games as non sub. And gameknot membership prices compared to RHP ones are just ridiculous.
    Really? Why is chess.com as good? Does your criteria favor those that refuse the modest membership fees? How does your evaluation change for subscribers?

I think that ChessWorld is the best site, and almost in a league by itself (although it offers fewer amenities to free members than its competitors). RHP is second. I liked chess.com when it was new, and its forums give RHP a run for their money, but its ads and cookies and cost of full membership puts it in league with GK--overpriced. Moreover, although Erik is open to suggestions, it still has a ways to go in developing its features.
  4. Joined
    28 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 14:56
    Why couldn't you link RHP on your profile page ?
    I think it violated some site rule about advertising. Only think I can think of. The message from management said that, if I re-upped for a premium membership, they'd tell me why I'd been banned. Didn't sound like that good a deal.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 15:01
    Originally posted by luctruc
    I think it violated some site rule about advertising. Only think I can think of. The message from management said that, if I re-upped for a premium membership, they'd tell me why I'd been banned. Didn't sound like that good a deal.
    That's crazy!

My last post makes no sense, I thought backwards RHP to GK.

P-
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 15:08
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Really? Why is chess.com as good? Does your criteria favor those that refuse the modest membership fees? How does your evaluation change for subscribers?

I think that ChessWorld is the best site, and almost in a league by itself (although it offers fewer amenities to free members than its competitors). RHP is second. I liked chess.com when it was new, and ...[text shortened]... ver, although Erik is open to suggestions, it still has a ways to go in developing its features.
    chess.com is fast evolving and has many training features, the forums are quite good, the interface is intuitive and customisable, there are a lot of good players, and plenty of experts. I like the new tactics trainer. you have beta blitz which is pretty much "beta" but it will be very nice soon. And I've got my new mail adress ivan2908@chess.com 😏

But I like RHP the most. Other sites come and go for me. 🙂
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 15:242 edits
    I offer updated reviews of the leading turn-based sites (and some defunct ones) at [url=http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/corr.htm]Wulebgr Correspondence Reviews[/url]

Edit: Does this link thingie work only in the club and team forums?
  8. Joined
    28 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Jul '08 20:35
    No, no hot links on the site boards. Just copy and paste to address bar.

http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/corr.htm
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '08 08:22
    Have those of you who play on other sites taken your cheating obsession there?
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    19 Jul '08 08:45
    Just had a look at the prices of GK subscriptions. US$100 per annum - crazy! Anyone have any idea what you get for that that you don't get here, other than a chance to player even more cheaters!
  11. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    19 Jul '08 10:19
    Originally posted by Jie
    Have those of you who play on other sites taken your cheating obsession there?
    Some have tried. On Gameknot mentioning cheats is a quick way to get banned. On chess.com the threads get locked pretty quickly. Other sites I have never really looked in the forums to see what is going on.

On chess.com there is less of an air of paranoia. I think this is linked to the site staff actively participating in all aspects of site life and the presence of real titled players who can sit in judgement on these matters. In addition, the site staff are active players, some quite strong, so they are able to judge whether or not a player really is suspicious or not.

I suspect cheating occurs on a similar scale on chess.com and RHP but chess.com seems to be visibly doing something about it, hence the difference in perception.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Jul '08 13:30
    Originally posted by Kepler
    ... but chess.com seems to be visibly doing something about it, hence the difference in perception.
    what are they doing? is ih8sens still there? the last time I heard he was even giving 'lessons' 😵
  13. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    19 Jul '08 13:461 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    what are they doing? is ih8sens still there? the last time I heard he was even giving 'lessons' 😵
    They ban people occasionally. There is less fuss and fanfare than there used to be on this site but people are getting banned for various wrong doings, including cheating various ways.

As far as I know ih8sens is still there. I don't think he is using his engine though. I base that on two pieces of evidence. I have beaten him three times in three games (I don't even beat Sigma on a 500 Mhz Mac that often) and his rating is much the same over there as it was here despite chess.com ratings being generally greater than those here (an artefact of a different rating system I think).

I think the main factor in the greater customer satisfaction on chess,com compared to RHP is the presence of site staff in forums and the rapidity with which they reply to queries. As an example, I reported a user who had made an offensive post yesterday at 10:00. I received a "Thanks, we will look into it" reply at 10:05. I then received a final reply thanking me for my vigilance and detailing the action taken as a result at 11:15.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Jul '08 14:121 edit
    Originally posted by Kepler
    They ban people occasionally. There is less fuss and fanfare than there used to be on this site but people are getting banned for various wrong doings, including cheating various ways.

As far as I know ih8sens is still there. I don't think he is using his engine though. I base that on two pieces of evidence. I have beaten him three times in three games (I inal reply thanking me for my vigilance and detailing the action taken as a result at 11:15.
    maybe I'll check it out. I've played some games in the chess.com facebook app, but I suppose it's completely separate from the 'real' chess.com...

last time I saw ih8sens was around 2000 there and going up, but now he's 1881. as far as his graph here goes, it looks like he started cheating at roughly 1700. assuming (just for argument's sake) a +100 point difference between rhp & chess.com rating system averages, that would leave about 81 points 'improvement'. and although I highly doubt any engine user will put much work into his real improvement, it has been a while that he was 1700 here.

sounds plausible. maybe he's really gone straight. if that's true, good for him.

edit: oh bugger. someone had already registered wormwood a couple of months ago, never to return.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree