1. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 00:01
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    one thats kinda passive, not very agressive, i like openings that are not known too well and dont have so many variations; i spend more time on mid game and end game than opening.
    Play the passive line of the Guioco Piano then - hence, no c3 push to support the d4 pawn. Just d3 supporting e4, then develop quietly and peacefully.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 04:35
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Play the passive line of the Guioco Piano then - hence, no c3 push to support the d4 pawn. Just d3 supporting e4, then develop quietly and peacefully.
    there is no gaurantee black will play e5.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 05:05
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    there is no gaurantee black will play e5.
    there is no guarantee of what black will play no matter what move white starts with.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 05:47
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    there is no guarantee of what black will play no matter what move white starts with.
    some moves have less options than others, e4 has the most replys.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 08:30
    Hey!

Play the Lodon System. You can play it without having
    to learn theory. You can play it against everything.
    It is also good for white.
    Have a look in " win with the london system"
  6. London
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 09:431 edit
    Originally posted by nimzonent
    Hey!

Play the Lodon System. You can play it without having
    to learn theory. You can play it against everything.
    It is also good for white.
    Have a look in " win with the london system"
    Admittedly I don't know the London System but overall I think the search for the perfect opening with little theory is something of a Holy Grail (a search for something that isn't there). Theory is only a problem if your opponent knows it and if they do they're probably going to beat you anyway whatever you play as they probably have better tactics and strategy knowledge too. I think it really helps to think of learning to play openings as a long term assignment that happens over a number of years and that patience is required. Getting five or six moves in against a player better than yourself and still being in an equal position means you've played well and is a good result.

The Ruy Lopez has a lot of theory but it's still one of several good openings to start off with because it follows principles that are worth learning as part of your overall chess education. It's a bit to early to be concerned with the theory that Grandmasters might know.

Having said that there is absolutely no harm in learning an off beat or less well known opening and making it your own speciality so long as it's not expected to "solve" chess or circumnavigate the need to understand opening principles.
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '06 10:22
    You might try systems that can be used almost regardless of Black's moves:

The King's Indian Attack - Nf3, g3, Bg2, 0-0, d3, Nbd2;

The Colle - d4, Nf3, e3, Bd3, c3, 0-0, Nbd2.

Both of these have been played at the highest levels, but are relatively easy to learn.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree