Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 19 Aug '06 03:20
    one thats kinda passive, not very agressive, i like openings that are not known too well and dont have so many variations; i spend more time on mid game and end game than opening.
  2. 19 Aug '06 04:00
    Thay all have a lot of variations. Just pick one and follow the principles (ie, control the center with pawns, develop your pieces to their best squares [in one move preferably], castle early, and youll be in the middlegame before you know it.
  3. 19 Aug '06 04:05
    Originally posted by Menso
    Thay all have a lot of variations. Just pick one and follow the principles (ie, control the center with pawns, develop your pieces to their best squares [in one move preferably], castle early, and youll be in the middlegame before you know it.
    they dont ALL have lots of variations, i been looking and found a couple id like to try.
  4. 19 Aug '06 04:36
    You might learn a opening system with few variations, but youre not guaranteed to play it all the time.
  5. 19 Aug '06 06:30
    Originally posted by Menso
    You might learn a opening system with few variations, but youre not guaranteed to play it all the time.
    as white, depending on the opening, i think its possible to keep the game within a few variations if you stay away from e4 especially.
  6. 19 Aug '06 07:14
    playing knight openings as white usually forces the game towards moving the pawns to the d file. if you open Nc3 it doesn't permit e5 and you can narrow down what you have to learn. "guioco piano" (meaning quiet game) is also one your probably looking for because you said you dont want it to be that strategical and not many variations to learn
  7. 19 Aug '06 15:40
    Originally posted by kmac27
    playing knight openings as white usually forces the game towards moving the pawns to the d file. if you open Nc3 it doesn't permit e5 and you can narrow down what you have to learn. "guioco piano" (meaning quiet game) is also one your probably looking for because you said you dont want it to be that strategical and not many variations to learn
    im not really looking for giuoco piano, your opponent has to play e5.
  8. 19 Aug '06 17:42
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    How about the English? 1.c4
    i might look at it ive never studied it or anything before.
  9. 19 Aug '06 18:04
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i might look at it ive never studied it or anything before.
    I've got it! The HAMMERSCHLAG-with a name like that it's got to be good.

    1.f3 e5 2.Kf2! Very little theory.
  10. 19 Aug '06 18:07
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I've got it! The HAMMERSCHLAG-with a name like that it's got to be good.

    1.f3 e5 2.Kf2! Very little theory.
    tHAT OPENING rocks!
  11. Standard member anthias
    ambitious player
    19 Aug '06 18:08
    lol, I've looked at that opening and can say I'm surprised that it exists
  12. 19 Aug '06 18:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I've got it! The HAMMERSCHLAG-with a name like that it's got to be good.

    1.f3 e5 2.Kf2! Very little theory.
    im thinking of 1.c3 what do you think? or maybe 1.g4
  13. 19 Aug '06 18:11
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    im thinking of 1.c3 what do you think? or maybe 1.g4
    Somebody liked 1.c3 d5 2.c4...
  14. 19 Aug '06 18:30
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Somebody liked 1.c3 d5 2.c4...
    i tried out the grob's attack and its good in blitz chess but i dont have enough room for games to try it on corrospondence
  15. 19 Aug '06 18:37
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    1.c3 is a crap opening.
    And the Grob 1.g4 can't be that good or why arn't the GM's playing it?
    I'll stick with my Ruy Lopez, thanks.
    Most GM's don't use the KG and it's VERY good.