1. Joined
    08 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 20:446 edits
    Game id 3924207

Unbelievable,

I had played Gaskit into a position where he was to be mated in 2 moves and then over the course of the weekend he took advantage of a time out opportunity and claimed a victory. I had been expecting to see his resignation. There was zero opportunity for him to avoid a loss, other than through the very unsportsmanlike behavior which he displayed.

Is it worth considering making it impossible to claim a time out victory if you are in an intractably losing position?
    (Yes I can see where there would be problems with this, but I don't need to delve into them, with some working they could be resolved)

I would likely have not written this had Gaskit agreed to a rematch.

All around poor form. It's one thing to claim a victory when the game is undecided or you are in a winning position. Quite another when you have been fairly beaten.
  2. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 20:45
    Originally posted by ben mossberg
    Game id 3924207

Unbelievable,
    I had played Gaskit into a position where he was to be mated in 2 moves and then over the course of the weekend he took advantage of a time out opportunity and claimed a victory. I had been expecting to see his resignation. There was zero opportunity for him to avoid a loss, other than through the very unsportsmanlike ...[text shortened]... is undecided or you are in a winning position. Quite another when you have been fairly beaten.
    Game 3924207
  3. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 20:58
    Where's Bowmann when you need him? ©
  4. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:05
    You lost, all you had to do was make a move, deal with it. 😠
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:05
    Game id 3924207

Unbelievable,

I had played Gaskit into a position where he was to be mated in 2 moves and then over the course of the weekend he took advantage of a time out opportunity and claimed a victory. I had been expecting to see his resignation. There was zero opportunity for him to avoid a loss, other than through the very unsportsmanli ...[text shortened]... her when you have been fairly beaten.
    [fen]8/1R6/p2N3p/k6p/8/2p5/PPP2PPP/6K1 w - - 0 35[/fen]
    Did you consider playing Rc4+ instead of waiting for him to resign?
  6. Joined
    08 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:11
    I was loopholed.
    There was a long weekend where I live that was spent with family.
    As I mentioned, at a mate in I thought I could be confident that no one would stoop as low as claiming a time out win.

The way I would like to "deal with it" is a rematch.
    Which the outclassed player is refusing.

I don't think you could seriously say that taking a win in this way is an very sportsmanlike thing to do.
    This is chess, not "collect wins any way possible"
  7. Joined
    08 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:13
    Originally posted by Red Night
    It was his move when I left for the weekend.

Like I said, I had expected him to just resign. Not make a futile pawn move then claim a time out
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:15
    Game id 3924207

Unbelievable,

I had played Gaskit into a position where he was to be mated in 2 moves and then over the course of the weekend he took advantage of a time out opportunity and claimed a victory. I had been expecting to see his resignation. There was zero opportunity for him to avoid a loss, other than through the very unsportsmanli ...[text shortened]... is undecided or you are in a winning position. Quite another when you have been fairly beaten.
    Profile of ben mossberg - "My strategy for victory is without mercy. Weakness will be hammered away. In my mind a system of play will develop before which my opponents will crumble. My game will be brutal, domineering, fearless, and cruel. My game must be that, and yet I too must bear pain. There must be nothing weak and gentle.
    The fearsome beast of victory will rage across the board, and all will bleed.
    That is how I will eradicate my opponents. That is how I shall play."

Not too surprising that your opponent timed you out.
  9. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:16
    I don't think you could seriously say that taking a win in this way is an very sportsmanlike thing to do.
    Yes i am serious in that regard. When someone leaves a piece hanging you grab it, no excuses need to be made.
  10. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:20
    Game id 3924207

Unbelievable,

I had played Gaskit into a position where he was to be mated in 2 moves and then over the course of the weekend he took advantage of a time out opportunity and claimed a victory. I had been expecting to see his resignation. There was zero opportunity for him to avoid a loss, other than through the very unsportsmanli ...[text shortened]... her when you have been fairly beaten.
    [fen]8/1R6/p2N3p/k6p/8/2p5/PPP2PPP/6K1 w - - 0 35[/fen]
    He had you right where he wanted you. 🙂

If you don't know already, learn how to use vacation mode when you can't move.
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:25
    I was loopholed.
    There was a long weekend where I live that was spent with family.
    As I mentioned, at a mate in I thought I could be confident that no one would stoop as low as claiming a time out win.

The way I would like to "deal with it" is a rematch.
    Which the outclassed player is refusing.

I don't think you could seriously say that taking ...[text shortened]... is an very sportsmanlike thing to do.
    Maybe you should consider using a timebank that is more appropriate to your lifestyle in the future
  12. Joined
    17 Dec '02
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:26
    I think it's poor form of you to drag this into everyone's attention. Whiner.
  13. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:301 edit

All around poor form. It's one thing to claim a victory when the game is undecided or you are in a winning position. Quite another when you have been fairly beaten.
    Your flag fell. You have no one to blame but yourself.
  14. Joined
    08 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:34
    Bah,

This whole post is clearly a bid to shame Gaskit into a rematch.

I thought you were chess players.

Do you really suppose I thought the magic Chess Fairy was going to flitter in and reverse the outcome of the game?
  15. Joined
    08 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I suppose you meant Knc4?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree