He was at mate in 2 and instead of resigning

He was at mate in 2 and instead of resigning

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
12 Oct 07

Originally posted by ben mossberg
Game id 3924207

Unbelievable,

I had played Gaskit into a position where he was to be mated in 2 moves and then over the course of the weekend he took advantage of a time out opportunity and claimed a victory. I had been expecting to see his resignation. There was zero opportunity for him to avoid a loss, other than through the very unsportsmanli ...[text shortened]... her when you have been fairly beaten.
[fen]8/1R6/p2N3p/k6p/8/2p5/PPP2PPP/6K1 w - - 0 35[/fen]
You could have avoided the loss by moving within your time limit.

Time is part of the game, OTB as well as here.

If you lose on time, you lose because your opponent played better than you. He played better because he managed his time properly and you did not. Perhaps he did not resign because he expected you to slip up this way - I would have done likewise in those circumstances.

STS

Moves
12 Oct 07

Must have been orgasmic for your opponent to click on the skull. Who could have resisted? You deserved to lose, do you want some cheese with your whine?

bm

Moves
13 Oct 07

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Must have been orgasmic for your opponent to click on the skull. Who could have resisted? You deserved to lose, do you want some cheese with your whine?
Orgasmic indeed.

I hate writing " lol ",, but I don' t think anything else will suffice.

As far as my gambit at a shame induced rematch, only time will tell.

I have to admit the entertainment quotient for this site has skyrocketed for me.
I do appreciate all the response so far, sympathetic
(of which there are none) or otherwise, you are a spirited group.

For those of you who said you would take the time out victory, all I can say is.

I can't die! Out here on the board like a dumb animal! I can't die! You can't kill me. I'm praying to you! look in your heart! I'm praying to you! Look in your heart!

e

Moves
13 Oct 07

I have to agree that that's pretty pathetic from his part. I certainly won't play him. However, it is allowable in this system.

How long did you have to move? If it was like a week or more, I would certainly claim a win too even if you had mate in one. I don't want my games locked up that long, I don't want to be bored that long, and I don't see how you couldn't find the time to move in a week. If it was only three days or so, then it's understandable that you might not be able to move.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
13 Oct 07

Blah, Blah, Blah

This topic is rather old. You agreed to the time controls, you deal with it

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
13 Oct 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
You could have avoided the loss by moving within your time limit.

Time is part of the game, OTB as well as here.

If you lose on time, you lose because your opponent played better than you. He played better because he managed his time properly and you did not. Perhaps he did not resign because he expected you to slip up this way - I would have done likewise in those circumstances.
Or put the vacation flag up. I did the same thing here: Game 4047560

Lesson: If you can't handle the time controls of a hardcore grand tournament, don't even enter.

M

Moves
13 Oct 07
1 edit

my first two games were timed out 1 claimed the win the other didnt(I was deathly sick at the time spent three weeks in the hospital,almost croaked) but I just want to give the sportsmanship of Lukasz a heads up and I figured this was the place to do it I was winning the game too.
A big salute to Lukasz,you are a true Gentleman.

and yes that sucks but it is the rules.I have 3 games I am winning and are being drug on by the players to the last day of time limit but I will wait it out and win on their terms 😀

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
13 Oct 07

I suppose you meant Knc4?
No...I meant Nc4+

s
515 + 30 days

Syver Yurt TC

Moves
13 Oct 07

Someone was fond of stating "war is war loser".

Pretty appropriate I would think.

skeeter

e

Moves
13 Oct 07

Originally posted by skeeter
Someone was fond of stating "war is war loser".

Pretty appropriate I would think.

skeeter
It's a GAME not all out war. What's next? Are you going to try to assassinate your opponent just to win?

bm

Moves
13 Oct 07

Originally posted by exigentsky
It's a GAME not all out war. What's next? Are you going to try to assassinate your opponent just to win?
Exactly,

The game of chess is one thing, the game of winning at all cost is quite another. This is not the Tour De France after all.

I Suppose this is getting a bit dramatic, somehow I seem to always end up in conversations that are clearly headed for reductio absurdum.

J
Irresponsible Quoter

0 games mating

Moves
13 Oct 07

Exactly,

The game of chess is one thing, the game of winning at all cost is quite another. This is not the Tour De France after all.

I Suppose this is getting a bit dramatic, somehow I seem to always end up in conversations that are clearly headed for reductio absurdum.
as long as it's not micro reductio absurdiuim. That can be quite a problem.

F

Moves
13 Oct 07

There was a long weekend where I live that was spent with family.
I would be very concerned about the "already won" game to really make it a win. You made your choice, you prioritized the family at the weekend. (You knew your time status, so did he.) Your opponent made his choice to prioritize a near loss situation. He saw his chance to win and grabbed it. I would have done so too.

If I were in your shoes, I would salvage the situation by putting me on vacation over a few days in order to be immune of time outs. You should do that too. Now you blame others when you realize that you've made a mistake.

And your opponent doesn't have to give you a rematch, if he doesnt want to. I don't like to play with a sore loser either.

d

Moves
13 Oct 07

Game id 3924207

Unbelievable,

I had played Gaskit into a position where he was to be mated in 2 moves and then over the course of the weekend he took advantage of a time out opportunity and claimed a victory. I had been expecting to see his resignation. There was zero opportunity for him to avoid a loss, other than through the very unsportsmanli ...[text shortened]... her when you have been fairly beaten.
[fen]8/1R6/p2N3p/k6p/8/2p5/PPP2PPP/6K1 w - - 0 35[/fen]
Yes, we should appoint you god almighty to decide when resignation is not allowed. The RULES define the game, and the rules are that you take too long to move, you can lose.

You think that because you have a "winning position" you get to flaunt the rules? You are some kind of special exception to the rules that apply to everybody else in the world? You get to take all the damn time you want despite the rules?

What a crybaby.

I can see why he doesn't want a rematch. Maybe he would rather play with somebody who exhibits good sportsmanship.

d

Moves
13 Oct 07

Exactly,

You make a big deal out of this and then trivialize it?

Oh wait, I see... your opponent must not take the game seriously, but you can. I understand now.