1. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 11:49
    This thread is just so much better than the mere topic.

On my way up two of my opponents beat me who were later banned (presumably for engine use but I do not know).

I had suspicions with one but not with the other. Of course, neither might have needed an engine against me. It was the sheer brutality of a long tactical sequence that made me suspicious but then a good player might have seen it, i had allowed it and they were on their way up to.

I am curious now. game ID6219092 if anyone feels like telling me the match up?
  2. bedlam
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 12:24
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    This thread is just so much better than the mere topic.

On my way up two of my opponents beat me who were later banned (presumably for engine use but I do not know).

I had suspicions with one but not with the other. Of course, neither might have needed an engine against me. It was the sheer brutality of a long tactical sequence that made me suspic ...[text shortened]... ir way up to.

I am curious now. game ID6219092 if anyone feels like telling me the match up?
    Looks quite normal to me.
    Except for his 11....,Ne4 which I don't get at all.Would you be in trouble after 12.Nxd5?
  3. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 12:37
    Originally posted by vivify
    How can you tell if the person you're playing against is using a chess engine, verses actually playing themselves?
    The general answer is that you cannot tell. In some cases, if there is blatant use, then it may be obvious. But while blatant evidence shows very probable cheating, the absence of blatant evidence does not prove there is no cheating.
  4. e4
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 12:392 edits
    Hi Robbie

"....whence Edward the II was vanquished and sent 'hame', to think again, "

Having had to play this on numerous occassions in The Oak
    I know a wee bit about it.

(I also dread it as a request as it is often then the prelude to a 'Folk Session'
    and I'd much rather be doing The Beatles/Dylan/Wainwright III/Kinks....)

Most people don't know the words and la-lal-laaaa-la
    till the "....and stood againt him" bit (they often sing 'and stood againt them.'😉

the words are:

And stood against him
    Proud Edward's army
    And sent him homeward
    Tae think again.

The words were penned by Roy Williamson of the Corries in the late 60's
    around a tune composed in the late 1800's by Peter McCormick who
    also wrote the National Anthem of Australia, 'Advance Australia Fair'.
    (and not as I thought for years 'Waltzing Matilda'😉.

'Flowers of Australia' does not quite have the same ring to it.

How can you tell if you're playing against a computer?

Thread 114715
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 12:56
    So no one notices green paladin is a schizo who sees words that aren't there, then criticizes people the misspelled word that only he can see?

Just sayin'.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 13:041 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Robbie

"....whence Edward the II was vanquished and sent 'hame', to think again, "

Having had to play this on numerous occassions in The Oak
    I know a wee bit about it.

(I also dread it as a request as it is often then the prelude to a 'Folk Session'
    and I'd much rather be doing The Beatles/Dylan/Wainwright III/Kinks....)

Most people don tell if you're playing against a computer?

Thread 114715
    Hey pawn dude, great to hear from you, hope you are no too full up with them Easter
    road eggs! Oh the long suffering Hibees fans, they like Kings Indian Players, they
    never know if they gonna get swamped or break through in a flash of brilliance. The
    Oak, is that like a folk centre or your resident gig? Yes its true, no one does know the
    next verse except the pure Scottish nationalists who are Tories in disguise. Btw i am
    on game number fifty four of my Fischer collection of Guess the move, game twenty
    two was the best, i think its against Tal, Fischer almost gets mated, manages to escape
    and sac his queen, what a game that was, i gotta show it to you sometime. He also
    plays an interesting game against Suba, i nebver really understood any of what was
    going on in that one, but they seemed to know, very tentative give, purely balanced
    until Fishy cracks open the K side.
  7. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 13:06
    Originally posted by torten
    Looks quite normal to me.
    Except for his 11....,Ne4 which I don't get at all.Would you be in trouble after 12.Nxd5?
    I think I didnt think the pawn was enough compensation for the lack of devlopment and attack that would be forthcoming (i suspect he would have played similar moves to what he did but my king would have been stck in the middle (Of course what i played did not help a lot)

the attack seemed very precise although none of the moves in themselves are stunning there are a wide range of options resulting from some of them and it was above above the level i expected from the level i was at at the time, but as i said, we were both heading up so didnt think too much about it.
  8. e4
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 14:07
    Hi Robbie.

The Royal Oak - any style of music every night of the week
    Blues to Folk. Rock to Country.
    Bring along your own instrument and off you go.

Don't give me hard time about Hibs and King Indian Players.

What about you and the King's Indian Attack. 😉

Game 8364702
    You sacced your e5 pawn just to activate the Black Knights.
    What a dismal game.

And v the same lad in a different game (you as Black.) Game 8333988

Black to play.

You played 18...Qg4.

How about 18...Rxh4!?

I can't see White winning that, if anything Black has all the tricks
    on his side of the board. It just had to be played.

Exchange sacs do not only happen in the Sicilian on c3.

And...don't go away, I'm not finished yet....the draw v the same lad.
    Game 8328017 The opening....

We stop there - this is the opening to a famous game.

9. Wat?
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 14:16
    So no one notices green paladin is a schizo who sees words that aren't there, then criticizes people the misspelled word that only he can see?

Just sayin'.
    Don't get tied up in words, when moves to get tied up in abound you. 😉

-m.
  10. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 14:38

Just sayin'.
    Everyone noticed it. The word is there... it's just not in your post.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 15:177 edits
    Hi Robbie.

The Royal Oak - any style of music every night of the week
    Blues to Folk. Rock to Country.
    Bring along your own instrument and off you go.

Don't give me hard time about Hibs and King Indian Players.

What about you and the King's Indian Attack. 😉

Game 8364702
    You sacced your e5 pawn just to activate the Black Knights.
    W 8. Bc1g5 Bd6e7 9. Bg5xf6 Be7xf6 10. Ne4xf6 Qd8xf6 11. 0-0 {Recognise this position.}[/pgn]
    Actually dear Pawn dude, i played my dismal game at blitz speed, it really was over
    after about five or ten minutes, it was a game played in anger and utter frustration
    after having played and lost what should have been a won game previously.

The first game, a draw was thoroughly boring, i hate playing against French defence,
    its too slow for me, i get bored if i am not getting mated or giving mate by move
    thirty.

The second game was better, much better, and like you say i had all the tricks, but I
    was conscious and not a little fearful of three passed pawns v a piece and had
    envisioned in my mind a plan of sacking back my piece and ending the attack and
    pressing home my 4 v 2 queenside majority, but as usual, i was posting on
    spirituality and playing at the same time and lost concentration to a silly move,
    disgusted with myself, after having played very well by my standards, i was almost
    giving up the game forever, until i remember that i have lost countless other games
    after having a better position. My last disaster previously to a 2100+ which i was
    winning! End games are not my thing pawn dude, I suck and i always will, i love
    the opening and the middle game.

The last game was the last straw and i advertised for a hitman to get him, not being
    able to accomplish what i had tried soooo hard to do on my own.

...Rxh4 is good, but i was gleeful about the chance to win a piece because of the pin
    on the g pawn. If i recall this was also my plan previously but i had to retreat my
    queen because of a rook coming to the seventh, therefore i just renewed my attack
    In the dismal game i never sacked a pawn, i was posting and playing at the same
    time and merely over looked it, i should have exchanged dark squared bishops like
    I had planed the previous move.
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 15:41
    How can you tell if the person you're playing against is using a chess engine, verses actually playing themselves? What's the difference between how a really good human player plays and a computer? Also, how long would it take for you to tell that your opponent's using an engine?
    My guess is that the ease of detection is inversely proportional to the intelligence of the cheater. (How blatant he dares to be.)

Probably the only way to be relatively certain that your opponent isn't cheating is to invite him over to your house for some OTB games after having installed metal detectors and radio frequency jamming gear. 🙂

Bottom line: Character matters; Know your opponent. (I know, hard to do on the internet.)
  13. e4
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:291 edit
    Hi Robbie

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying it
    was a sac rather than a blunder. Though lack luste play after
    pawn sac/blunder hinted things had not gone to plan.

Piece win in Game 2 was too obvious (even for me).

Interesting transpostion in posted game 3.
    Actually these transpostions are more common than one thinks.

That position popped onto my screen ages ago and I saw
    it again in your game. I'm sure I've posted the game I have
    in mind before. All need now to do is find it.

Anyway.

This lad is in your neck of the woods.

http://www.abbeybookspaisley.co.uk/index.asp

approx over 100 books - 90% of them are opening books.
    But there are one or two non-openiing titles worth reading.
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:36
    Hmm, I have been to the Royal Oak- the bartender laughed at me when she heard my American accent... not sure why, not exactly an off the beat and path pub.

anywho...

Robbie- if you end up anything like me, you will learn to love endgames. It is a necessity since at some point probably 90% of your games will be decided that way.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:441 edit
    Hi Robbie

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying it
    was a sac rather than a blunder. Though lack luste play after
    pawn sac/blunder hinted things had not gone to plan.

Piece win in Game 2 was too obvious (even for me).

Interesting transpostion in posted game 3.
    Actually these transpostions are more common than one thinks.

That - 90% of them are opening books.
    But there are one or two non-openiing titles worth reading.
    nah pawn dude it was a pure blunder after that my position fell apart as i played one
    desperado upon another, never play chess in anger, one loses all its objectivity.

I see there is a book by Geller, interesting. I have a friend in Paisley, well Elderslie
    actually who would know this place, sadly in Glasgow all the little independent second
    hand book stores that one flourished are now gone ;(

thanks for the link GP i must saunter along and check it out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree