1. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 01:56
    Your opponent played a garbage line against you... and after awhile you are proud that his king is caught in the center and he has no counterplay! 😀

So then you look at how you are going to win this game, but all of a sudden...

OMG!!! I'm a piece down! WTF!?? How the Hell did I drop a piece in this game!?
    Game 1819427

And so you resign... 🙁
  2. Joined
    07 Apr '03
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 02:25
    Originally posted by arrakis
    Your opponent played a garbage line against you... and after awhile you are proud that his king is caught in the center and he has no counterplay! 😀

Game 1819427

And so you resign... 🙁
    Yea a lot of times I'm moving so quickly, I don't know that I dropped a piece earlier in the game and then it's a horrendous discovery later when I count the pieces and figure it all out...🙁

TT
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 04:07
    I used to have that exact problem in Otb. I used to go into some line with several exchanges and forget that he initial captured a piece of mine, so currently I am DOWN 1 piece.

I did that la maza thing, but just studying tactic no matter how you do it should help. What I do now is, that I go through the line and then figure out where each piece will be in the final position and then count what's on the board.

It's hard to do but after spending 3 minutes counting and rechecking that you counted properly you should get it right.
  4. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 14:04
    I've dropped a piece so many times its really hampering my progression.

Frustrating!!!
  5. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 17:33
    Once forgot I was a piece up, was about to lose that piece, so forced the draw when in a clearly better situation. Doh.
  6. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 18:50
    Lines with the opponent's queen out what seems to be too early are a real pain. You feel you should punish it but then find that pieces are under threat in places that are normally safe. Beginners bring the queen out early and are told to develop properly but when strong players do it there are problems. I'm glad I'm not the only person to discover that a piece has disappeared!
  7. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:00
    I hate Qh5 games, they really disconcert me sometimes. I also have had problems in Sicilian Wing Gambit games when Black accepts the first gambit and then instead of accepting the second exchange introduces his Queen, or just plain ignores the entire premise and calls my incompetent bluff:

Game 1485846

Game 1545517
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:20

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:241 edit
    Originally posted by arrakis

Game 1819427

And so you resign... 🙁
    Gotta trade the b pawn for activity, ne5 looked ok, or even N-back anyware. What happened was you left 2 pieces hanging, to save a pawn.
    Seems like a focus thing. Using the analyze board on every move is crucial.
    I gotta do this more often too, as im in a few bad positions right now..😛
  10. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:531 edit
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Is the second pawn offer usually accepted? I came accross this opening for only the first time a week or 2 ago and decided on 3..e5.Game 1807088 other wise surely bxa3 Bxa3 and white has a threatening bishop with black not being able to advance the e pawn without Bxf8 and losing the right to castle.
    I've rarely had an opponent accept the second offer of an exchange, probably because there is no real point in Black leaping to offer White that kind of activity when more orthodox developmental moves can be made...apparently Nxa3 is the orthodox position, but logically I can see no reason why Bxa3 isn't preferred, and neither can any of my friends (admittedly we're all hobby players). It's a pretty despised anti-Sicilian opening, but against moderate opposition I've never failed with it.

I think 3. e5 or e6 are the recommended counters to it - but since the people you'd be playing it against would be amateurs like myself, an early introduction of the Queen is far from a bad idea. The irony of the games I've played is that the idea behind it seems to be to generate Queenside activity, but if anything I've found that I generally spend my time frantically developing Kingside to offset the chaos that Black is wreaking on my left flank...

But on the whole, if you even mention the Wing Gambit on this site, you'll hear hoarse laughter from the massed ranks of the 1800+-rated players. But ratings be damned, it's a very entertaining opening to play.
  11. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 01:21
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Is the second pawn offer usually accepted? I came accross this opening for only the first time a week or 2 ago and decided on 3..e5.Game 1807088 other wise surely bxa3 Bxa3 and white has a threatening bishop with black not being able to advance the e pawn without Bxf8 and losing the right to castle.
    [gid]1485846 [/gid]

Well, White's completely busted after 7...QxN instead of 7..a6
  12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 01:251 edit

13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 01:271 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree