1. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 04:36
    Igor Ivanov who has lived in Utah for the past few years passed away today. He was a great champion.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 04:52
    Truely a sum greater than his parts.
  3. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 21:19
    He was a GM, ranked about 50th in the nation, beat Karpov and had draws with Kasparov and Spassky.
  4. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 22:281 edit
    Not to speak ill of the departed,but I know exactly what it will say on his death certificate as cause: cirrhosis of liver,acute alcohol poisoning.When he was playing in NYC,I never saw him anything but drunk. Didn't seem to affect his play much,tho.
  5. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 22:45
    Originally posted by sundown316
    Not to speak ill of the departed,but I know exactly what it will say on his death certificate as cause: cirrhosis of liver,acute alcohol poisoning.When he was playing in NYC,I never saw him anything but drunk. Didn't seem to affect his play much,tho.
    Shut up, cancer, you're pathetic for speaking ill of someone the day after their passing, especially when your comments are completely ignorant.
  6. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 23:42
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    Shut up, cancer, you're pathetic for speaking ill of someone the day after their passing, especially when your comments are completely ignorant.
    Listen,jackass: Ivanov's drinking was the stuff of legend in chess circles. He put Tal,Blackburne, Tchigorin, and Mason to shame in that department. Many was the time I saw him practically had to be carried out of the room after a game,he was that wasted. So take your ignorant tag,assclown,and stick it where the sun don't shine.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 02:11
    Listen,jackass: Ivanov's drinking was the stuff of legend in chess circles. He put Tal,Blackburne, Tchigorin, and Mason to shame in that department. Many was the time I saw him practically had to be carried out of the room after a game,he was that wasted. So take your ignorant tag,assclown,and stick it where the sun don't shine.
    LOL, blast! 😛
  8. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 03:43
    You're ignorant!! You're info was wrong not mine!! Can it be any more clear!! I never said he didn't drink or can't you read, I said he didn't die from it, you illiterate fool!!
  9. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 21:16
    i am sorry to hear of ivan's passing.
  10. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 21:43
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    You're ignorant!! You're info was wrong not mine!! Can it be any more clear!! I never said he didn't drink or can't you read, I said he didn't die from it, you illiterate fool!!
    Calm down, puppy,before you spurt. You just said he died,I just supplied the relevant details. I am willing to back it up with a little $$,that is if your parents will let you raid your piggybank.
  11. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 21:46
    Nothing like a celebrity chess death to bring people together, is there?
  12. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 22:04
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    Nothing like a celebrity chess death to bring people together, is there?
    Wet behind the ears juveniles,like Alec whats-his-name,who think they know everything,are very annoying to people like me,who do!😀😉
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 22:25
    Try cancer. The USCF's official press release says so.

RIP Igor.
  14. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 22:42
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Try cancer. The USCF's official press release says so.

RIP Igor.
    BigDoggProblem,your word is good enough for me. I'm not a member of USCF anymore,so I don't get CL.
  15. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    25 Nov '05 01:34
    Russian defector and chess grandmaster dies

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SALT LAKE CITY -- Igor Ivanov, a Russian defector who became Utah's greatest chess player, has died in St. George of cancer. He was 58.

Despite his illness, Ivanov tied for first place in the Utah Open tournament just three weeks ago.

He was Utah's only grandmaster, the highest rank in chess.

In 1979, he defeated then-reigning world champion Anatoly Karpov.

"He was our state champion," said John Coffey, vice president of the Utah Chess Association. "He was our best player by far. Nobody else even came close. Serious chess players like having someone of that caliber. He'll be missed for the great player that he was."

First place outright was denied him at the Utah Open in Salt Lake City on Oct. 29 when he became too ill to play one of his games. He was diagnosed with cancer in March.

At the time of his death, the U.S. Chess Federation ranked Ivanov 50th in the country.

Ivanov started playing chess at age five in his hometown of St. Petersburg (then Leningrad), Russia. Though he was taught the game by his mother, he wrote on his Web site: "It was not long before I could beat her."

Ironically, Ivanov's mother didn't see much of a future in chess and asked her son to focus on music, hoping he would become a concert pianist.

"He often wondered how far he might have gone had he devoted more time to the game in his youth," family spokesman Alan Crooks said. In addition to beating Karpov, Ivanov earned draws against former world champion Boris Spassky and later world champion Garry Kasparov.

This led to Ivanov's invitation to the Soviet chess team, giving him the opportunity to travel abroad and, in 1980, defect during a stop in Canada. Ivanov lived in Utah since 1991. He took first place in the Utah Open in 1991, 1992, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005, the only years he entered.

In August, Ivanov participated in the U.S. Open in Phoenix.

Playing against some of the toughest competition in the country, Ivanov won five games, drew two and requested half-point byes for health reasons in the first and final rounds to finish the tournament undefeated and tied for eighth place.

From Daily Herald

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree