I'm Awful at Chess

I'm Awful at Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
10 Jun 08

Originally posted by Mahout
MMMhhh yes but...I find it's not always so easy to play against a pawn pusher.
I have a friend who used to always push pawns at the start. I was looking for an example, and came across a win of mine, where 8 of my first 9 moves were pawn pushes, albeit with gain of tempo...
Game 3419130

Hope I don't confuse the OP.

D

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
10 Jun 08

Originally posted by Mahout
MMMhhh yes but...I find it's not always so easy to play against a pawn pusher. On the occasions it's happened I've won but there was usually a point - not long after achieving my ideal set up - that I had to really work out how to undermine the opponents position. Once I'd broken out it was pretty straight forward but I did have to think.
sac sac mate! πŸ™‚

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
10 Jun 08

Originally posted by tamuzi
This site would be alot better if it explained why their move is better than yours on many occasions.

Often I see the error when I mess up, but there are puzzles that I completely disagree with the move they make and spending 5-10 minutes doesn't reveal why their move is 'better'.
that's true about the clicking. but then again, working it out yourself is the best training you could hope for. annoying, exhausting and most effective. giving in to our natural inner laziness is pretty much always the wrong choice.

London

Moves
11 Jun 08
2 edits

Originally posted by tamuzi
This site would be alot better if it explained why their move is better than yours on many occasions.

Often I see the error when I mess up, but there are puzzles that I completely disagree with the move they make and spending 5-10 minutes doesn't reveal why their move is 'better'.
That's an interesting and relevant point. I can still remember on early visits to the chess tactics server that sometimes I didn't understand why the solution was the solution. Frustrating because I couldn't be sure if it was me or the server at fault.

It still happens sometimes with the advanced puzzles on www.improveyourchess.com where they have puzzles taken from real games presented where the advantage is sometimes quite subtle rather than a glorious mate. But trying to work out why the answer is the answer can be good training... and when you do get it the lesson is more memorable.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
11 Jun 08

Some good tips, thanks, although I think my biggest disability is simply not having a chess mind. I'll see what I can do and maybe post when I feel I've made some progress.

Thanks

asromac

woodpusher

Raleigh, NC USA

Moves
11 Jun 08

Originally posted by asromacalcio
Some good tips, thanks, although I think my biggest disability is simply not having a chess mind. I'll see what I can do and maybe post when I feel I've made some progress.

Thanks

asromac
Well hold on a second. I am by no means an authority (heck, I'm playing so badly right now I should probably just shut up now) but I think you are missing something from the advice given by those above. Chess, once you learn the basic moves and rules, is really all about learning to play better. Everyone who plays the game must advance past the enjoyment of simply picking up a piece and moving it to another square to spending time considering why a move should be made.

There's no mystical force which imbues certain people with the ability to play the game (I'll leave open the possibility that there may be some exceptions, but I'm talking about the vast majority of people). Chess is a game that can be studied, practiced, and learned. Don't be so dismissive of that aspect of the game - you'll miss out on so much of the joy. You've played many games on the site (according to your profile). If you are disinterested in evolving as a player then I suppose that's fine if you are happy with that but you seem to be implying from your OP that you want more. Getting there isn't going to come from asking people for "some tips". Embrace the chance to learn the game and reap the rewards!

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
11 Jun 08

Originally posted by varoadstter
Well hold on a second. I am by no means an authority (heck, I'm playing so badly right now I should probably just shut up now) but I think you are missing something from the advice given by those above. Chess, once you learn the basic moves and rules, is really all about learning to play better. Everyone who plays the game must advance past the en ...[text shortened]... ng people for "some tips". Embrace the chance to learn the game and reap the rewards!
exactly, it's a mechanical skill. like singing, learning a language, playing an instrument, drawing, painting, writing, sports etc. -you may not ever become a kasparov, picasso, mark twain or ronaldo, but you can become very very good technically. it takes time and effort, and mileage, but anybody can do it. it's about training, not talent.

and as a perk, the more you understand chess, the more you enjoy it.

MD

Leuven

Moves
11 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by varoadstter
Well hold on a second. I am by no means an authority (heck, I'm playing so badly right now I should probably just shut up now) but I think you are missing something from the advice given by those above. Chess, once you learn the basic moves and rules, is really all about learning to play better. Everyone who plays the game must advance past the enjoyment of simply picking up a piece and moving it to another square to spending time considering [b]why a move should be made.

There's no mystical force which imbues certain people with the ability to play the game (I'll leave open the possibility that there may be some exceptions, but I'm talking about the vast majority of people). Chess is a game that can be studied, practiced, and learned. Don't be so dismissive of that aspect of the game - you'll miss out on so much of the joy. You've played many games on the site (according to your profile). If you are disinterested in evolving as a player then I suppose that's fine if you are happy with that but you seem to be implying from your OP that you want more. Getting there isn't going to come from asking people for "some tips". Embrace the chance to learn the game and reap the rewards![/b]

He's totally right.
I started on this site on about the same level as you are now. And now, about half of a year further, I've improved a lot, just by practising, getting to know typical openings, doing chess puzzles,...
I've even gained 400 rating points already! And if you look at my first games, you'll see it's not just that my first rating was incorrect, I really did make dumb moves back then.

Still now actually, but lessπŸ™‚

A

Moves
11 Jun 08
3 edits

Any tips for improving my chess, simple things, nothing major as there'd be no massive rewards getting from 1029 to 1300 which is where I expect my limit is, on the time I'm prepared to put in. Just a few pointers might be useful.

Thanks
1) Avoid making moves that waste time or have no point at all

1.h3 d5 2. h4 e5 3.c3 Nc6 4.b4 Nf6 5.Nf3.....

Every pointless move made in the opening is a gain in time for your opponent who intends to bring out his army he wants to seize control of the entire Chess Board your opponent wants the lion share of space and squares he will do his absolute best to deny your army the ability to fight back and do anything about that.

2) Don't delay castling make sure your King is safe that's your top priority in the opening

3) Look at your Chess army as a unified fighting force all of your pieces and pawns should work together in very close coordination and have good communication

4) Avoid moving too quickly or hastily think over your moves slowly

5) Don't throw your Queen out too early it wastes time

6) Move pawns very,very carefully because you can't move them back

7) Try to choose moves that achieve multiple goals and objectives

8) Fight for your fair share of the center of the board and the 12 squares surrounding it

9) Don't blunder away material

10) When your under a heavy attack exchange pieces the fewer men on the board the weaker the attackers threats become also if your position is cramped exchange to relieve pressure

CD

Moves
11 Jun 08

Very Easy!
Go to this link and you will be very glad you did! When I was first starting I ran across this and it was great.

http://www.howtoadvice.com/Chess/😲

j

Moves
11 Jun 08

d

Moves
12 Jun 08

Thanks

asromac
1) study tactics (like one hour a day), get an elementary book on general principles (like logical chess by chernev), analyze all of your games deeply with a strong engine (not crafty please!) and you will certainly have that chess mind in six months. than it's up to you to decide if you want to have decent chess mind or not πŸ™‚

(I'm still in the middle between having a chess mind and having a decent chess mind πŸ™‚ )

s

Moves
12 Jun 08
1 edit

You got some excellent advice here, especially diskamyl's last post stresses the important points to work to improve your chess : tactics (though if you're lazier than diskamyl, half an hour twice a week can be enough) + playing through games with a lot of comments (chernev is great for players up to 1500, max euwe master vs amateur is another classic...) and most important : study your own games, try to understand where you went wrong and why.

In this respect the problem with an engine is he won't explain you the ideas, just show you the best moves. Not always easy to understand what lies beneath.

Then apart from training, you got the list of good advices. Squelchbelch, Aristolle, and CEE dog's link are all very good.

But now here is my contribution.
With only ONE advice, i bet i can get you to win 200 points quickly and without any training or learning!
You won't get a better chess mind with that (for that the best way might be chernev's book for instance), but you'll lose far less games, and so you'll gain confidence (and points)

This one simple easy advice i would put in number 1 of all those lists, but squelchbelch and Aristolle don't mention it (though Aristolle comes close).
Cee dog's longer list mentions it twice in the first 10 points (big hint...)

TO BE CONTINUED

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
12 Jun 08

Any tips for improving my chess, simple things, nothing major as there'd be no massive rewards getting from 1029 to 1300 which is where I expect my limit is, on the time I'm prepared to put in. Just a few pointers might be useful.

Thanks
I'd say, try to develop your pieces safely while at the same time making threats with them. (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3) Knights before bishops, usually. The game revolves around the center of the board. Control the center and use it to mount an attack.

Learn mating patterns and basic end games then basic knight/bishop tactics (pins, forks). Learn basic openings as you play them (google the notation of move). Learn rook and queen tactics (pins, forks, batteries). Own your opponent.